Mirri Maz Duur is more of a hero than Dany will ever be

So lately I've been reflecting on the fact that Daenerys Targaryen, especially since her recent portrayal on the show, has become ASOIAFs avatar character for rich, WASPy, college aged white girls who write social justice blogs on Tumblr. However, notice that you never see any of these people singing praises for Mirri Maz Duur. She's usually written off as that "fat ugly bitch" who killed Khal Drogo, the horselord rapist who all the aforementioned Dany fans swoon over, and died screaming when Dany became the mother of dragons or some bullshit like that.

What I honestly don't get is why the whole social justice crowd, and the ASOIAF fandom in general for that matter, views Mirri as the bad guy in this situation. Even before Dany "saved" her, Mirri had been raped by Dothraki numerous times, her people enslaved...and whats more, Dany was a carrying a child who according to prophecy was going to be "The Stallion Who Mounts The World", which literally translated to "The Guy Who's Going To Fuck The World In The Ass", and would have only raped and enslaved all of Essos and presumably Westeros as well if Dany got her way. If there is any weight to prophecies, by disposing of Rhaego as well as Drogo, Mirri pretty much saved all of Planetos.

And this character is still reviled or ignored by the majority of the fandom? Fuck that shit. Mirri Maz Duur was a hero, perhaps the single most unsung in hero in all of ASOIAF. Its only a shame that "only death can pay for life", and that by being burned alive she basically made Dany temporarily fireproof and inspired one of the most persistently annoying myths in the entire fandom...but hey no ones perfect.

Nah... Mirri wasn't a bad person, but I'd say abolishing slavery across a continent is considerably more heroic than killing an awful man and his unborn son was... with both having disastrous consequences. (In Mirri's case, the return of Dragons, which is bound to bring destruction to the world)

Nah... Mirri wasn't a bad person, but I'd say abolishing slavery across a continent is considerably more heroic than killing an awful man and his unborn son was...

I'd probably say that too. Daenerys hasn't done that though.

MMD was a duplicitous old hag. Burning was too good for her. Then again we wouldn't have had the hatchings so she served a purpose in the end.

Case, and point. Well done on proving the ops point ser. Thumbs up!

Nah... Mirri wasn't a bad person, but I'd say abolishing slavery across a continent is considerably more heroic than killing an awful man and his unborn son was... with both having disastrous consequences. (In Mirri's case, the return of Dragons, which is bound to bring destruction to the world)

I would say avenging your family and people is far more heroic then freeing some slaves with no contingency plan on how to care for them.

It's not really heroic to slash and burn through a country freeing slaves and then have fuckall when it comes to any idea what to do with them, feed them, house them, etc... Dany's "let my people go" shtick is really just great theatre and for her own ego.

Case, and point. Well done on proving the ops point ser. Thumbs up!

She was lying witch who 'avenged her people' by killing an unborn child. Plot wise it all worked out for the best but lets not make this vile woman out to be some kind of hero.

It's not really heroic to slash and burn through a country freeing slaves and then have fuckall when it comes to any idea what to do with them, feed them, house them, etc... Dany's "let my people go" shtick is really just great theatre and for her own ego.

Yeah really...when are people going to realize Danys humanitarian bullshit isn't even altruistic? She frees slaves so she can get army to use when she takes out every last remnant of the people who brought justice to her psycho father...eventually...when she stops daydreaming about Daarios blue pubes and manages to get herself there...

She was lying witch who 'avenged her people' by killing an unborn child. Plot wise it all worked out for the best but lets not make this vile woman out to be some kind of hero.

Vile woman? Seriously dude? Khal Drogo was much, MUCH more malignant/evil than Miri yet Dany loved him. Then again she's never had good judgement when it's come to...well, anything.

Actually the whole Stallion Who Mounts the World is a crock. In whose opinion, a bunch of elderly ex-khaleesis?

Drogo, through his own Dothrakiness removed Mirri's bandages and poultices, which would have cured his wounds. So he went septic and would have died but for Mirri's spell, which Dany insisted on knowing that there could be a bad outcome. So Drogo becomes a veggie instead of a corpse. Dany goes into labor and gets into the spell, screwing everything up. She gives birth, but never sees the infant. Mirri says that it was a monster, born dead, and rotted as if dead for quite some time. Mirri didn't cause it; Dany being carried into the tent put her under the influence of the spell. But wait! We only have Mirri's word about the baby's condition. Could easily have been born alive and spirited away to be raised elsewhere. He may still become the Stallion Who, etc.

Mirri did pretty much nothing to save the world.

A lying witch that had just been raped, and seen her entire way of life, and everyone she ever knew brutally butchered by dothraki so that dany could get to westeros. I would say her "lying witch" ways are nothing compared to what she had to go through. Bless her soul. She did the right thing.

I like how we all assume MMD could see the future. If everything had happened the same except that the baby was born, Dany could have raised him different than the Dothraki ways and take him with her to Westeros and raise him good.

But of course, she's a hero because she killed an unborn baby that could have probably died in the Red Waste any way... Stannis and Tywin, when did similar things are given the benefit of having doubts and objections. I mean, why isn't Tywin a hero for the Red Wedding? After all, he wasn't completely wrong about how is better to have 100 men dead than 1000. Why don't we consider a bad move that Davos didn't allow Edric Storm being burn?

ETA: Gregor was the hero of the story all along. I mean, good think he killed Rhaegar's kid. Imagine if someone had tried to raise their banner in the kids' name! A war! Thank the Gods that Gregor, Lorch and Tywin didn't allow it!

Based on the way Dany was getting moist hearing Drogo talk about raping all the women and enslaving all the children in Westeros I doubt that.

Not to mention Dany speaks Dothraki, had no problem accompanying the khal on his raids, and fulfilled all their various other customs. I see no reason he wouldn't be raised that way. Most of that post was straight up bizarre fan-fiction

its not hate, its truth though. MMD suffered terribly at the hands of the dothraki, her defiance was all that was left to her. In a way what she did took extreme strength.

And was saved from another multitude of rapings by Dany. So who does she target? Dany. I understand the bitter logic behind her deceit but am also glad she never got to enjoy it.

Isn't Dany the reason Drogo's khalasar is there in the first place though?

Archived