Mirri Maz Duur is more of a hero than Dany will ever be

I don't know... something tells me Rhaego would've had a really hard time mounting the world. Essos, sure. Judging from the goofy armies that gathered to attack Dany, "mounting" Essos would be like conquering a Mardi Gras parade.

MMD was more sinned against than sinning.

However, as is so often the case, she may have fulfilled a prophecy, by trying to forestall it. Instead of Rhaego burning cities, the likelihood is that Dany will be burning them.

It's always about Dany hate.

I don't think it's dany hate, but come on. Apparently, killing babies is wrong unless is dragonspawn :/ Then, it's completely justified. Maybe baby Aegon would have grown up to be as mad as his grand father, it's a good think he was killed.

Isn't Dany the reason Drogo's khalasar is there in the first place though?

Yes but she directly intervenes to save people from rape and tries to get Drogo to get the men to take them as wives. She's not going to civilise this culture overnight. Bottom line is she saved MMD and MMD repaid her with deceit and dark magic. That's not a hero.

Ok, a disclaimer: I'm not a Dany stan in the least. She annoys me, Stannis 4 life, etc

But I gotta agree with Light a wight tonight, Mirri really did nothing. Drogo was dead either way and Rhaego would have been killed by the other Khals either way, Jorah said as much.

And also there's this: Mirri decided to betray Dany because, well, she didn't really have much in the way of options. I appreciate her kamikaze moment allright, but she wasn't really a hero or a saint or anything. Now, Dany may stumble from fail to fail, but saying she doesn't really care about the slaves is an unfair accusation. If she truly didn't give a shit, then why refuse Xaro's offer to get on the ships and gtfo? Why refuse Quentyn's offer? Why marry Hizdahr and decide to establish a peace with Yunkai? Her methods must be borderline stupid, but she has the heart in the right place

And this: if it hadn't been for Mirri, there would probably be no dragons (according to some theories, I think the fandom is a bit torn on this)

So lately I've been reflecting on the fact that Daenerys Targaryen, especially since her recent portrayal on the show, has become ASOIAFs avatar character for rich, WASPy, college aged white girls who write social justice blogs on Tumblr. However, notice that you never see any of these people singing praises for Mirri Maz Duur. She's usually written off as that "fat ugly bitch" who killed Khal Drogo, the horselord rapist who all the aforementioned Dany fans swoon over, and died screaming when Dany became the mother of dragons or some bullshit like that.

What I honestly don't get is why the whole social justice crowd, and the ASOIAF fandom in general for that matter, views Mirri as the bad guy in this situation. Even before Dany "saved" her, Mirri had been raped by Dothraki numerous times, her people enslaved...and whats more, Dany was a carrying a child who according to prophecy was going to be "The Stallion Who Mounts The World", which literally translated to "The Guy Who's Going To Fuck The World In The Ass", and would have only raped and enslaved all of Essos and presumably Westeros as well if Dany got her way. If there is any weight to prophecies, by disposing of Rhaego as well as Drogo, Mirri pretty much saved all of Planetos.

And this character is still reviled or ignored by the majority of the fandom? Fuck that shit. Mirri Maz Duur was a hero, perhaps the single most unsung in hero in all of ASOIAF. Its only a shame that "only death can pay for life", and that by being burned alive she basically made Dany temporarily fireproof and inspired one of the most persistently annoying myths in the entire fandom...but hey no ones perfect.

That is slightly offensive, but not even going to bother arguing.

I get MMD suffered a lot, and in fact I felt sorry for her and understood her actions. However, and I might be wrong, I don't think she killed the unborn child trying to make the world a better place. She did it for vegeance as well.

But what I don't understand is why do you need do depreciate Dany's actions in order to compliment MMD?

This could have easily been a simple MMD aprecciation thread...

Yes but she directly intervenes to save people from rape and tries to get Drogo to get the men to take them as wives. She's not going to civilise this culture overnight. Bottom line is she saved MMD and MMD repaid her with deceit and dark magic. That's not a hero.

Annarra Snow put it well "Dany did her best and her best wasn't good enough.". Dany urged her husband to invade Westeros, and was then dismayed to discover what this entailed. Had Drogo succeeded, these scenes of rape and murder would have been repeated across two continents.

its not hate, its truth though. MMD suffered terribly at the hands of the dothraki, her defiance was all that was left to her. In a way what she did took extreme strength.

You're sig man....I just, I... well I think people know how I feel about Stannis.

I was more or less just framing the inherent hypocrisy of these tendencies I do see often in Dany fangirls who then proceed to see her as entirely justified in planning to unleash a culture of horselord rapists on Westeros, much less profess their attraction to one of said horselord rapists. But nah, I'm not gonna argue either.

I was more or less just framing the inherent hypocrisy of these tendencies I do see often in Dany fangirls who then proceed to see her as entirely justified in planning to unleash a culture of horselord rapists on Westeros, much less profess their attraction to one of said horselord rapists. But nah, I'm not gonna argue either.

This pretty much confirms it is a Dany hate thread and nothing really to do with MMD.

I don't know if I'd call MMD a hero either, but you do seem to be tap dancing around the point that MMD wouldn't need "saving" at all if not for Daenerys' ambition, hence I find it difficult to say that Daenerys' 'saved' her.

I don't know if I'd call MMD a hero either, but you do seem to be tap dancing around the point that MMD wouldn't need "saving" at all if not for Daenerys' ambition, hence I find it difficult to say that Daenerys' 'saved' her.

The Dothraki have been raiding the Lamb people for an eternity. Long before Dany came along. I suspect she is probably the first khaleesi to ever stand up to a group of Screamers and stop them claiming what they see as their spoils. Give her some credit. She was only 14 and mistrusted as well.

If I am correct most people here find MMD sympathetic and grey, I think you might mean people who watch the show as the show portrays her as complete black rather than grey.

I didn't think so. I thought they did a really good job of reflecting her position in the book.

I love it :cheers:

I get MMD suffered a lot, and in fact I felt sorry for her and understood her actions. However, and I might be wrong, I don't think she killed the unborn child trying to make the world a better place. She did it for vegeance as well.

But what I don't understand is why do you need do depreciate Dany's actions in order to compliment MMD?

This could have easily been a simple MMD aprecciation thread...

Yeah, when the claim is just so silly then there isn't a point of arguing.

I really don't know. It's like you go from Mirri maybe/might/we'll never really know save thousands of lives but then act like Dany freeing hundreds of thousands of slaves is somehow less good? As you pointed out, the whole thing is kind of offensive...

Archived