When Is 'The World of Ice and Fire' Coming Out, Vol.3

Ran, thanks for the answer.

GRRM determining who of the male Starks joined NW might deprive him of some flexibility re: Dunk and Egg stories, or even the books themselves, I imagine.

But the Lords of Winterfell depicted on the tree were basically all named in that crypts chapter of Bran's, weren't they? So, why not denote them on the family tree? It would have been convenient and wouldn't have added any additional restrictions for future ASOIAF works. A pity, IMHO...

I think it's fair to say that yes, you're not going to get long lists of all the lords that have ruled from the conquest. We cover certain highlights and significant individuals, but that's not to say it's not skimming over other notable worthies or events. There's only so much space.

Ran,

I won't let you off the hook this easily. You've written a popular, in-universe history. In the real world such books do include basic data on the family trees. For instance, almost any book I've read on the early Roman Empire that had family tree of the Julio-Claudian-dynasty did not just give the names of the members of the house, but did also provide dates on births and deaths, highlight Emperors and chosen heirs, and so forth.

I guess in your book both the Targaryen and the Stark family tree will be not just a fan service mostly unconnected to the content of the book, but will help the casual reader to differentiate between the various Brandons, Rickons, Aegons, Aemons and so forth. I don't think that will work well if the reader cannot identify the persons the trees list immediately. It's somewhat tedious to go back into the text to find out whether the Brandon you just looked for on the family tree is the one you just read about - the family tree should give you that information.

I won't have any problem with that, of course. But I can see it happening.

So the guy got his first link when he was thirteen, and got his maester chain when he was twenty years old...either he's a f*cking genious, or the studies of a maester are way easier than any modern college career.

The fact that Yandel has been at the Citadel since he was a baby probably means that he began his studies much earlier. No doubt some other Maester used him as guinea pig for some other theory on child raising. ;)

Yeah...

No. :laugh:

Ah, too bad...

But perhaps you can answer me these tiny questions? Will we find out what happened to the bodies of Elia, Aegon (or at least, the babe that was killed by Gregor) and Rhaenys? I read somewhere that Rhaegar was cremated after his death, but no mention of Aegon and Rhaenys, who were Targaryens after all.

Elia was not a Targaryen. Was she returned to Dorne, like Prince Lewyn?

Is any of this covered in the World Book by any chance? :)

I guess at least 'Aegon' and Rhaenys were cremated. Ned was furious about what happened to them, and Elia, and most certainly ensured that they got a proper burial. And Elia surely was sent to Dorne - or was cremated as well, as a Targaryen-by-marriage. But I'd guess the former, since Jon Arryn needed to placated Prince Doran.

The book doesn't touch on it. Never really thought about it, to be honest! I think it's exactly right to suppose Rhaegar's children were cremated. Elia, I'm less sure about. Cremated, after the custom of her husband's family? Interred wherever non-Targaryen royal brides have tended to be interred? No clue. I hesitate to suppose her remains were sent to Dorne, since if that were the case surely it would have been mentioned when we learned that Lewyn's remains were brought to Sunspear.

The Targaryen ashes were interred somewhere, weren't they? The TV shows them in the Great Sept, but this can't be the place were the older members of the family were interred. On Dragonstone? In the Red Keep? Surely the ashes were not left in the pyres...

The Targaryen ashes were interred somewhere, weren't they? The TV shows them in the Great Sept, but this can't be the place were the older members of the family were interred. On Dragonstone? In the Red Keep? Surely the ashes were not left in the pyres...

Perhaps their ashes were scattered in the winds. It would fit the House, being dragonriders and all that.

Too bad it isn't in the book, I had been thinking about what had happened to them for a while. About Rhaenys and Aegon I had suspected they had been cremated, but about Elia, I was wondering about how many marks her body had, and whether or not the rebels could get away with sending her body back to Dorne, since then Doran (and perhaps Oberyn) could see exactly how she had been treated, instead of only having the rumours. It's like Veltigar said, if she has been cremated, the Martells have less proof of the crimes committed against her.

Isn't there anything known about the non-Targaryen wives of Targaryen princes/kings? That might give an indication?

Too bad it isn't in the book, I had been thinking about what had happened to them for a while. About Rhaenys and Aegon I had suspected they had been cremated, but about Elia, I was wondering about how many marks her body had, and whether or not the rebels could get away with sending her body back to Dorne, since then Doran (and perhaps Oberyn) could see exactly how she had been treated, instead of only having the rumours. It's like Veltigar said, if she has been cremated, the Martells have less proof of the crimes committed against her.

Isn't there anything known about the non-Targaryen wives of Targaryen princes/kings? That might give an indication?

It seems that the usual thing to do when sending corpes to somewhere far away is to use beetles or boiling water to remove the flesh from the bones, and send only the latter.

Archived