Wise Man's Fear X (SPOILERS)

Elaena Targaryen

Thanks for that. Just to be clear, I wasn't questioning it really; just curious (and also, to reiterate, realizing that this series demands a reread that I haven't done yet).

Oh yeah, I got that.

As to the re-read... For real. I just finished WMF about a week or so ago, and I really dug it, but didn't really put too much thought into it. I was planning to move on to the next book on my ever growing pile, but after reading some of the analyses in this thread, I realize how much i missed, and feel I have to go back and read it all over again, with note and charts and shit.

You bastards. haha

Yeah, I think you're right. Those point were more just the general sense of Caudicus having secrets and being kind of shitty, which may be nothing more than the fact we was poisoning the Maer.

Like I said, I think the Ash is Bredon, or Bredon-as-Cinder has more weight, but god dammit, I like Bredon.

Interview with Patrick Rothfuss

So, The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Where does it sit in the grand scheme of The Kingkiller Chronicles timeline?

It does exist, actually, in time in Wise Man’s Fear. Like, the time frame that everything happens in is in Wise Man’s Fear. It isn’t explicitly placed anywhere, but a careful reader will easily be able to work out where it sits.

Now that you’ve got this novella, with its pictures and new story, does that effect how you edit book 3? I mean, I know you’ve completed the story, but does it effect the changes?

Well, I certainly haven’t finished it. I’ve written a draft all the way to the end. But, the thing that I did with… Well, you know what, ‘will it change some things in book 3?’ Absolutely. Not only did I learn things about writing that are going to be very useful, but I’ve learned a lot about Auri that I didn’t know before, I learned a lot about the Underthing I didn’t know before and I learned a bit about Alchemy I didn’t know before – because I hadn’t developed them, specifically. So, yes, it will changes elements as I continue to work on, revise and improve book 3.

I think this bit from Denna kills the Ash is the Maer theory (not that the theory was likely anyway):

Good. I do not like that theory at all. Doesn't fit anything other than being wealthy. I have a hard time picturing Bredon slinking about in the woods of Trebon, but it is simply not inside the realm of possibility that the Maershon Alveron was slinking about in the woods of Trebon.

On the Caudicus=Ash talk... Caudicus is now rotting in the dungeon or (much more likely) dead, so unless Ash completely vanishes, this theory is no good. I believe Denna implies she has seen her patron since Severn? That blasts the Caudicus=Ash theory out of the water, does it not?

Well, we know it wouldn't be an origin story, so this makes sense. And it's great to hear that Pat will be able to churn out an even better version of book 3 now :D

I'm glad its not an origin story, takes away the mystery and interseting aspects of her character

I'm glad its not an origin story, takes away the mystery and interseting aspects of her character

I agree, however, Pat might be one of the rare writers who could pull off a satisfying origin story ;) But that's probably DoS material.

Ctheah & Loeclos Box....

I. Ctheah is no more a tree than a man is a chair. Analogous, perhaps? Chair = external inanimate object contain/hold a person. If so, mayhaps the tree is but the external object containing the Ctheah? How then? Hold that thought.

II. Loeclos box - no hinges, no lid, no locks, speculation about it serving as containment of some powerful and likely dangerous thing.

Please note that K observes the box & Ctheah smell are identical... Citrus, leather...

But back to the how... I was out in the yard and while clearing the old, old perimeter fence around the rear portion of my family’s property where the woods have encroached on three sides… there are some trees that have enveloped the oldest metal parts of the fences in the same way trees can envelope power lines over the course of a decade or two. What if that's how the box was made? A certain tree with copper or some such metal can serve as a containment for magic types. Grows around it, seals it in. It would take some time in the 4Cs... but in the Fae, time is different, and many other 'natural' rules also seem to not apply to the flora ... trees existing in eternal darkness, etc. The same kind of tree was used to contain grave threats, due to its high copper content. You would have a box with no lid no lock, quite literally.

And as for the Ctheah ... it would make sense, its resenting being identified as the very thing that has imprisoned him.

That's my crazy theory for the week, anyways.

Ctheah & Loeclos Box....

I. Ctheah is no more a tree than a man is a chair. Analogous, perhaps? Chair = external inanimate object contain/hold a person. If so, mayhaps the tree is but the external object containing the Ctheah? How then? Hold that thought.

I could have sworn the Ctheah was a bird, must be trippin or some shit

I could have sworn the Ctheah was a bird, must be trippin or some shit

I am unable to determine if youre trying to be humorous or not, so I will pretend you are not.....

Well, there WAS some sort of motion in the canopy of the tree... but I don't think it is a bird... a bird could fly away... unless it was a flightless bird, but if it is flightless, how did it get up in the canopy of giant freestanding tree?

On an unrelated note.... I pose a question:

After/During the Creation War, how did a creature like Felurian get to the Faem realm? Did most Ruach flee there after Lanre's betrayal?

As for Felurian herself... did she possess her current powers when she resided in Murella? I rather think not. If that is true. how exactly did she acquire them?

I am unable to determine if youre trying to be humorous or not, so I will pretend you are not.....

Well, there WAS some sort of motion in the canopy of the tree... but I don't think it is a bird... a bird could fly away... unless it was a flightless bird, but if it is flightless, how did it get up in the canopy of giant freestanding tree?

I always visualized the Ctheah as a serpent/snake. Qvothe saw some "sinuous" movement in the tree.

In my mind it is literally part of the tree, or stuck in it. I envisioned it being the tree itself or something trapped in the tree... With a biological projectile of some sort... Like a cross between a projectile frog/salamander tongue and a jellyfish barbs. Something the can lash out quick enough to catch a butterfly but also quick and long enough to reach a person. I suppose I always discarded ideas of it being something merely residing in the canopy because it would seem like such a thing could easily escape...especially with such oracular abilities.

I always imagined it being bound to the tree somehow.

Please don't let the Ctheah just be another name for the serpent in the garden of Eden.

Another thing that has been plaguing me ... any suppositions as to why Kvothe seemed to think the skin dancer mercenary was looking for him. Bast tries to dissuade him of this, but Kvothe implies that his personal culpability here is rather self-evident.

We know there's a price on his head in the 4C's, presumably as a result of regicide, but what could possibly have caused the Fae to seek him out in a similar manner? More specifically... what could possibly have caused an allegedly exterminated race of skin dancers to seek kvothe?

I know some people use what the skin dancer says to back up the theory that Kvothe has become one of the chandrian. It asks him "Te Rhintae" which is close to the Adem word for the chandrian, rhinte.

There is a theory that as the towns people are telling stories are broadcasting their location by repeating names. If this is so then it could be that the chandrian sent the skin dancer to check the place out but it could also be one of the other characters in the stories.

Another thing that has been plaguing me ... any suppositions as to why Kvothe seemed to think the skin dancer mercenary was looking for him. Bast tries to dissuade him of this, but Kvothe implies that his personal culpability here is rather self-evident.

We know there's a price on his head in the 4C's, presumably as a result of regicide, but what could possibly have caused the Fae to seek him out in a similar manner? More specifically... what could possibly have caused an allegedly exterminated race of skin dancers to seek kvothe?

Maybe they're not seeking him, and he just feels responsible for releasing them on the world through his actions. (Opening the four plate door, opening the lackless box, killing an angel, ...something)

Archived