Characters Outside of ASOIAF that you despise any genre

Alia Atreides

Faust. I mean, Mephisto is great, but how can anyone be so stupid and at the same time so intelligent as Dr. Faust?

Richard Dawkins?

Had to.

anyway, @ fictional characters I dislike:

Charles Halloway, Something Wicked This Way Comes - Jesus Christ man, stop fucking whining about being old! You're not even that old!

Thomas Covenant - I gave up on The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant because you were such a miserable joy-sucking rapist asshole.

Richard Dawkins?

Had to.

anyway, @ fictional characters I dislike:

Charles Halloway, Something Wicked This Way Comes - Jesus Christ man, stop fucking whining about being old! You're not even that old!

Thomas Covenant - I gave up on The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant because you were such a miserable joy-sucking rapist asshole.

I couldn finish The God Delusion, because it was so stupid. I laughed so hard sometimes and asked myself if he really is serious or if he was secretly writing a comedy. :D

My list is long. Get ready!

1. Ron from Harry Potter. Passive-aggressive "nice guy".

2. Saleem from Midnight's Children. Passive-aggressive, self-aggrandizing "nice guy" (yeah, don;t like this type).

3. Carter from Play It As It Lays by Joan Didion. Aggressive, self-obsessed, image-focused guy who doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself.

4. The doctor from The Pearl by John Steinback. Greedy, gluttonous selfish fuck.

5. Matilda from Matilda. She was a little bit too cocksure for her age, and I can see her fast becoming an intellectual snob.

6. Mother Abigail from The Stand. Charmless religious nut who has lived two lifetimes, yet she still lives in plague-ridden America? Not fair or justifiable.

7. King Lear from King Lear. An unlikable narcissist who never garnered my sympathy.

8. Guy Woodhouse from Rosemary's Baby. He's a treacherous, smug narcissist who cares about nobody but himself.

9. 90% of the Wheel of Time characters. I want them all to die.

10. The narrator Cal of Middlesex. unfunny, uninteresting self-proclaimed "nice guy" whom I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw.

I liked Mother Abigail in The Stand. She was tolerant of everyone, did not expect anyone to go to church with her, laughed when Nick told her he didn't believe in God (and said that it didn't matter because God believed in him), and was kind, even when she was feeling tired. Also, she was a very strong woman, and her visions, whatever their cause, did turn out to be true (and she did not force anyone to make her an unofficial prophet). Considering all the nasty-to-evil people who also survived the plague (people who killed, raped, and worse), I was glad she was one of the survivors. I'm not a religious person, but I have nothing against people with strong faith, as long as they don't try to convert me.

Guy Woodhouse from Rosemary's Baby was definitely a walking slimeball. A shame he wasn't killed.

Mrs Bennett from Pride and Prejudice.

Qvothe from The Name of the Wind. I hated this book with a passion, couldn't even bring myself to finish more than about 60% of it.

Daniel from The Vampire Chronicles. Don't know why, I just can't stand him, even if he is a fairly minor character.

That doesn';t even make sense.

How do you even find the thread then? Do you have a random button?

New Content button. It takes you anywhere around the boards, so if you misread the title and ignore all other posts, you can get wrong. I guess.

Somebody mentioned Pride and Prejudice...Wickham is shit, but he's supposed to be so, whatever. But Lydia was so annoying, and it was even more annoying that her very mother was encouraging to be a moron. But again, I guess that was the whole point: to show how twisted that society's values towards women were.

Actually, it would be less enjoyable without him (draws sword, prepares for contest over taste?!)

Sure, why not? :cheers:

I have never once enjoyed reading about Matrim Cauthon. He is whiny, ungrateful, paranoid, selfish, and idiotic. I generally am not too hard on these books but when Mat became the ubermensch of all that is the quarter staff, beating Gawyn and Galad, I could not take his character seriously anymore. That was the point for me when I saw a bit of what the criticism was about. For me, he used the taveren concept in a really bad way. He gave Rand and Perrin some good internal things to struggle with (saidin and the wolf stuff) but with Mat he makes a typical partying, drinking, gambling, quarterstaff master who is nearly unbearable in every thought and decision he makes. and nearly every bad thought he has about the Aes Sedai, particularly Moiraine, Egwene, and Nynaeve enrage me.

Quite honestly he and many other characters should be kissing the feet of the Aes Sedai who have helped them. #unpopularopinions.

Your move, friend. :)

What lord Stoneheart said sums up my feelings pretty good. He reminds me of that one kid you always get in class that just stares and stares and all the girls boobs and then has a laughing fit when someone says poop.

I think that describes a lot more than just "one kid"

Archived