Characters Outside of ASOIAF that you despise any genre

Alia Atreides

Frank Vanderwal from Kim Stanley Robinson's Science in the Capitol trilogy. Of all the books I've read, I have never actively detested getting inside of a character's head while reading it as much as with this guy. I hated it even more than getting inside of a domestic violence perpetrator in Stephen King's IT.

Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath.

Every time he talks about winning the game or having deep psychological developments I want to smack him and remind him he's 14 (10 in flashbacks). Must they always be child prodigies?

Larry Underwood from The Stand. He's completely self-absorbed, and halfway through the book he simply shifts his focus from satisfying his own needs to taking responsibility for everyone he ever meets, whether or not he's asked to do so. His self-absorption remains, though.

Kennit from Robin Hobb's liveship traders trilogy - I think he's the only character in any series I've read whom I've activity despised from the moment we saw him, to the moment we last see him. I don't even know how I got through the trilogy when I've been wishing death upon this guy every sentence he's mentioned. I really don't get his so-called "complexity" that some of his fans claim he has.

I never found Jay Gatsby to be very likeable in the book although I thought Leonardo DiCaprio did a good job of portraying his smarminess in the recent film.

Cassius from Julius Caesar. Again, a very unlikeable but well written role player. Some others from Shakespeare would be Ophelia and Claudius in Hamlet.

Thorin from The Hobbit wasn't always the easiest dwarf to get along with and his avarice was never one of his selling points but he redeemed himself by the end of the story.

Jason Compson, the abusive patriarch of the Compson family in The Sound and The Fury. Not supposed to be well loved by any measure. There's some shades of him in Tywin Lannister and Balon Greyjoy if you look close enough.

Good topic. Interested in hearing everyone else's.

Kennit from Robin Hobb's liveship traders trilogy - I think he's the only character in any series I've read whom I've activity despised from the moment we saw him, to the moment we last see him. I don't even know how I got through the trilogy when I've been wishing death upon this guy every sentence he's mentioned. I really don't get his so-called "complexity" that some of his fans claim he has.

I see his complexity, and there is something sinister about him from the beginning...but I agree, I hated the man. Wintrow and Etta made him somewhat better but then

the rape of Althea just ruined all the progress he had made :ack:

She is also what working-class British people should point at when foreigners react with befuddlement to their hatred of Margaret Thatcher.

I hate Thatcher as much as the next guy (OK, I'm not British myself, but by father's a Scot who left the UK in the early 1980s), and I know Rowling consciously made Umbridge a Thatcher figure, but I really can't see that much of a similarity between them. Both are authoritarian females with an interest in hurting people For Their Own Good, but that's about as far as it goes.

Umbridge is racist, and a fundamentally reactive character - she responds (harshly) to rebellion, but rarely initiates. She has a disturbing sugar-coated veneer of pinkness and kitten crockery.

Thatcher wasn't racist (she was a class warrior instead). She was also proactive - rather than sitting back, she completely overhauled British society. And there was no sickly veneer about her; she never tried to hide that what you see is what you get.

Larry Underwood from The Stand. He's completely self-absorbed, and halfway through the book he simply shifts his focus from satisfying his own needs to taking responsibility for everyone he ever meets, whether or not he's asked to do so. His self-absorption remains, though.

Speaking of The Stand, I hate Mother Abigail. She's a smug bigoted faith-based nut who gets treated in-story as a saint. That book has a disturbing anti-intellectual streak.

Speaking of The Stand, I hate Mother Abigail. She's a smug bigoted faith-based nut who gets treated in-story as a saint. That book has a disturbing anti-intellectual streak.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's true! Although it could be said that just about all the characters in the book are uninteresting. What do you think of the review I wrote?

Faust. I mean, Mephisto is great, but how can anyone be so stupid and at the same time so intelligent as Dr. Faust?

lol he is so funny!!

Hes basically like "hahaah im so smart I summoned you" and mephostopheles is like "no dude I came of my own accord"

"But youre not in hell right now youre ok!"

"Umm heaven is rly awesome so everything in comparison is totally shit I mean basically I am just having a really bad time"

Faustus: "HAHAHAH LOOK A DRAGON"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's true! Although it could be said that just about all the characters in the book are uninteresting. What do you think of the review I wrote?

I never noticed the incredibly passive nature of the female characters. Thanks for pointing it out.

My own major gripe with the book (well, apart from forcing us to read well over a thousand pages in order to present us with a deus ex machina, the US being treated as the world, and the fact that King utterly wasted such an awesome premise) is the anti-science nature of the story. It's those evil biologists who exterminate 99.4% of America's the world's population. It's the secular rational types like Harold who get taken over by the Dark Side, whereas the good guys are "simple" and "unsophisticated" in their reliance on Faith. Redemption is obtained by submitting to God and His Prophet, Mother Abigail. Boulder becomes a virtual theocracy, and the one guy who points this out gets conveniently killed off.

Archived