[Book spoilers] "The Iron Bank is like a temple"

I can't see that the connection would go beyond the IBB hiring the FM on occasion.

That's the connection. You don't pay us, we'll back your enemies, provided they honor your debts, therefore your enemies kill you, if they fail, we'll send a FM to get the job done. Either way, you don't pay us, well valar morghulis as we say in Braavos lol

i didnt think of it that way, but i agree with this

I can't see that the connection would go beyond the IBB hiring the FM on occasion.

but even the implications of that are quite amazing....a bank who have their own assassins...if someone in today's real world had that kind of set up...imagining that would probably give you the chills i just got!

i mentioned this in another thread, but i just looooved this scene...tywin spelling it out so clearly to Cersei...like teaching a 4 yr old the concept of money...and she still jerks them around later...im soooo hoping for them to show this scene in the episode recap right before they bring in the IB guy

i didnt think of it that way, but i agree with this

but even the implications of that are quite amazing....a bank who have their own assassins...if someone in today's real world had that kind of set up...imagining that would probably give you the chills i just got!

i mentioned this in another thread, but i just looooved this scene...tywin spelling it out so clearly to Cersei...like teaching a 4 yr old the concept of money...and she still jerks them around later...im soooo hoping for them to show this scene in the episode recap right before they bring in the IB guy

The modus operandi of underworld money lenders the world over.

Did anyone notice tywin telling cersei something about the iron bank working in the shadow that no one gets away from them and they always get their money back. House of Many Faced Gods specializes in getting things done. Maybe iron bank and the temple are both the same..run by the same people but different entities..the show is giving us a lot of subtle spoilers here and there this season..

I have always operated under the premise the Iron Bank and the temple of black and white were the same. I thought this was fairly heavily implied.

true for loan sharks and other unsavory sources...but i was thinking more on the lines of official/big banks :stunned:

And the only reason they don't do 'unsavory' things is the myriad conventions, regulations, laws, morals and governments that do not exist in ASOIAF.

Braavosi currency uses iron coins. This isn't unique to FM.

Apparently book-wise the FM have an Iron coin associated with them.

If you are a Braavosi can give you a heart attack!

true for loan sharks and other unsavory sources...but i was thinking more on the lines of official/big banks :stunned:

Sort of like IndyMac Bancorp? :commie:

Iron Bank vs Dragons...?

IB takes down Westeros and Essos!

Lets see Dragons do that!

And the only reason they don't do 'unsavory' things is the myriad conventions, regulations, laws, morals and governments that do not exist in ASOIAF.

Uh, and they still do horrible things.

Yes yes. But we digress.

What I really am interested in is whether the Many-faced god is actually Rh'llor or something different.

i say its something different...

just likely many belief systems, they believe in one God...the Bravoosi (im guessing) believe that the one true God is Death...and he comes in many forms, hence Many-faced god...at least that was my understanding...

im not sure on this, but the 7 "new" gods...dont they also believe that it is one God with 7 faces? I might be completely wrong on this but i really feel like that was mentioned

Rh'llor is just another God who is supposed to be Lord of Light and all things good and pure...

i realized GRRM blurs the lines between good and evil, black and white...but i doubt everything evil will end up appearing good while everything good will end up appearing evil (i've seen thread where ppl thinking WW's are the good guys and NW are evil and where Jon and Bran gona be on the side of the WW's fighting against evil Fire/dragons)

so in short, no I doubt they are the same...more like 2 different countries on the same continent who follow separate monotheist religions

i say its something different...

just likely many belief systems, they believe in one God...the Bravoosi (im guessing) believe that the one true God is Death...and he comes in many forms, hence Many-faced god...at least that was my understanding...

im not sure on this, but the 7 "new" gods...dont they also believe that it is one God with 7 faces? I might be completely wrong on this but i really feel like that was mentioned

Rh'llor is just another God who is supposed to be Lord of Light and all things good and pure...

i realized GRRM blurs the lines between good and evil, black and white...but i doubt everything evil will end up appearing good while everything good will end up appearing evil (i've seen thread where ppl thinking WW's are the good guys and NW are evil and where Jon and Bran gona be on the side of the WW's fighting against evil Fire/dragons)

so in short, no I doubt they are the same...more like 2 different countries on the same continent who follow separate monotheist religions

My perception is that the Old Gods (weirwood trees, the wind, the rustling of leaves, greenseeing) and the Great Other are related as religions of Westeros (and therefore CotF/Others/Giants and the First Men) while the Andals brought the Seven from a relatively minor cult in northern Essos. And that much of Essos and Valyrian conquest is closely associated to Rh'llor. If we attribute legitimate 'powers' to the Old Gods and Rh'llor, is there anything but faith without magick in the Seven? My connecting of the Many-faced God to the Rh'llor rests solely on Jaqen, who is a Faceless Man who refers to the Red God, which is a name of Rh'llor.

My perception is that the Old Gods (weirwood trees, the wind, the rustling of leaves, greenseeing) and the Great Other are related as religions of Westeros (and therefore CotF/Others/Giants and the First Men) while the Andals brought the Seven from a relatively minor cult in northern Essos. And that much of Essos and Valyrian conquest is closely associated to Rh'llor. If we attribute legitimate 'powers' to the Old Gods and Rh'llor, is there anything but faith without magick in the Seven? My connecting of the Many-faced God to the Rh'llor rests solely on Jaqen, who is a Faceless Man who refers to the Red God, which is a name of Rh'llor.

I didnt think much of it at the time because the Bravoosi are known for accepting all religions, i simply assumed Jaqen was a believer of Rh'llor...i will go back and look this up in book 2 about what he specifically says...

Overthinking it I'm afraid. Weird metaphor though, I grant you.

If Tywin had simply used a metaphor relating to a castle, or a house, or any other building I wouldn't have thought otherwise, but using a temple is a very specific, and strange, metaphor.

I didnt think much of it at the time because the Bravoosi are known for accepting all religions, i simply assumed Jaqen was a believer of Rh'llor...i will go back and look this up in book 2 about what he specifically says...

Jaqen as a FM worships the many-faced God, but he owes The Red God 3 deaths...because 3 men were saved from fire that day, and presumably the Red God (Rh'llor perhaps?) is responsible for deaths by fire.

If Tywin had simply used a metaphor relating to a castle, or a house, or any other building I wouldn't have thought otherwise, but using a temple is a very specific, and strange, metaphor.

Jaqen as a FM worships the many-faced God, but he owes The Red God 3 deaths...because 3 men were saved from fire that day, and presumably the Red God (Rh'llor perhaps?) is responsible for deaths by fire.

I think he used temple specifically to signify ever-lasting...castles and home ownership passes/changes all the time

Very good point about the Red God, I like it!

Archived