Vikings #4, On to Season 3

Black Wolf Smith

Thanks to who dropped that it was slaves the Bjorn let go. It wasn't the first time that they had a confusing scene, but it might be one of the most confusing.

Donal Logue has been very good in a lot of things, but not always. He was great in Sons of A last year but had to leave because of conflict of schedule ( I wonder if it was Vikings). That said I think it was more the way King H was written rather then his acting, that didn't meet the standards of other characters on the show.

While I really like the last ep, it should not have been the last ep of the year. They write really good ep, and they write really good arch's but the don't seem to match arch's w/ the season, IMO. Last year last ep fell wrong, so they had to have the 2:1 wrap it up, then they skipped 5 years (or whatever) to get to this season. I really hope they start next year off on the way to England, or in England, instead of setting up everything first.

Thanks to who dropped that it was slaves the Bjorn let go. It wasn't the first time that they had a confusing scene, but it might be one of the most confusing.

Donal Logue has been very good in a lot of things, but not always. He was great in Sons of A last year but had to leave because of conflict of schedule ( I wonder if it was Vikings). That said I think it was more the way King H was written rather then his acting, that didn't meet the standards of other characters on the show.

While I really like the last ep, it should not have been the last ep of the year. They write really good ep, and they write really good arch's but the don't seem to match arch's w/ the season, IMO. Last year last ep fell wrong, so they had to have the 2:1 wrap it up, then they skipped 5 years (or whatever) to get to this season. I really hope they start next year off on the way to England, or in England, instead of setting up everything first.

There is also France this time, so who knows how they will squeeze everything together.

I think the world version makes more sense than the American version. I didn't realize it, but those world versions have some added footage that makes some plot twists more understandable, like for example Ragnar sparing the life of Horik's son.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I think that part of the problem is the first season was only 9 episodes and the second only ten. I tend to prefer shorter seasons because the stories have way less filler but in this case, I think a couple more episodes per season would help.

I supposed it's beats cut away for the stupid commercials? With television and films, even seconds can make all the difference.

It really can. From what I understand, the whole saving King Horik's son was much clearer in the European version.

I haven't seen it myself so I can't say for sure.

It also has to do with the way American basic cable/network television is set up as far paying with advertisements. We already get 2-3 minutes over the traditional hour long tv show. Since History Channel is a much smaller channel, that may be as much as we get here in the US.

But it would be really cool if they sold the European versions here.

ETA

Whoops, just saw Veltigar pretty much said the same thing about Horik's son.

I think Logue is a little better when the character he plays has a sense of humor and lets face it Horik does not have one.

I think the world version makes more sense than the American version. I didn't realize it, but those world versions have some added footage that makes some plot twists more understandable, like for example Ragnar sparing the life of Horik's son.

Its interesting because even though he had very few lines I thought the fellow who played the son was very effective, he was good at playing the self entitled young prick who is under a lot of pressure to live up to his Fathers legacy. The scene where he so enthusiastic about the arrival of his siblings humanized him and also maybe gave us a clue to why it was such a bad idea for Ragnar to spare him, his family and their legacy was everything to him. Still they can clear the whole thing up in a few seconds in the first season 3 episode.

I thought Horik betraying Ragnar and trying to murder his whole family was a bit hard to swallow; it seemed rush and not all that well set-up. Unlike with Gabriel Byrne's character, who was set up to already dislike Ragnar for his attitude, or Jarl Borg who was set up to always want that land.

Yeah and didn't someone betray Ragnar and try to kill his entire family last season and earlier this season? I forget. It reminds me of a Stepen King novel. Great set up and then someone goes shit we forgot all about that resolution stuff. Quick someone throw something unconvincing together in 10 minutes.

Still it is the best thing Histotry has going for it right now if only I didn't have to sit through the advertisments for the rest of their bullshit reality programming that I have no intention of watching.

I think Logue is a little better when the character he plays has a sense of humor and lets face it Horik does not have one.

While I agree w/ you about Logue, the character was uneven, even last season. One ep he was for teaming up, then the next he wanted Jarl Borg out of the deal the struck. Then he was all behind with teaming up w/ Ragnar, then wanted to kill him. I guess they want the character to be petty and jealous kind of king who would turn on anyone that was a threat to his rule, but they didn't give enough scene time to play it out that way.

1. I also didn't think that was as clear cut as it should have been, we see the boy alive, and then kind of drug off somewhere, but it could have just as well to kill him somewhere else as it was to leave him alive.

2. I have watch a few other things about Vikings, and whether or not true, often someone takes a brutal way to die, to save their son. One thing had a guy do "the walk" in which I guy basically nailed a hook into a tree, then cut open is own stomach, then hooked his intestines and walked around the tree as long as he could. King H walked, didn't fight, and took what they had to give him. What I am not sure about is whether that is suppose to get them to Valhalla (because of the excepting such pain), or not.

2. I have watch a few other things about Vikings, and whether or not true, often someone takes a brutal way to die, to save their son. One thing had a guy do "the walk" in which I guy basically nailed a hook into a tree, then cut open is own stomach, then hooked his intestines and walked around the tree as long as he could. King H walked, didn't fight, and took what they had to give him. What I am not sure about is whether that is suppose to get them to Valhalla (because of the excepting such pain), or not.

If you die in battle, you'll either end up in Valhalla or Fólkvangr (the latter ruled by Freyja), but Horrik, as a oath-breaker, would end up in Náströnd, the worst part of Hel.

If you die in battle, you'll either end up in Valhalla or Fólkvangr (the latter ruled by Freyja), but Horrik, as a oath-breaker, would end up in Náströnd, the worst part of Hel.

In the sequence in which Jarl Borg is subjected to the blood eagle, it is stated that if he makes no outcry he goes to Valhalla as much as if he died in battle with sword in his hand. The blood eagle, as far as Borg was concerned, was this time also a ritual and a sacrifice, which, was how he could go to Valhalla, if he accepted and took the agony without protesting. That's one of the reasons, presumably, he was give some serious drugs, so that there would be some detachment in his mind from what was happening to his body.

Forgive me if this was somewhere in the previous thread, but why, exactly did Ragnar spare Horrik's son again? What was shown in the European version that made this clearer?

Apparently, there was a scene where Horik's son somehow expressed his interest in Ragnar's plan to colonize land in England (something about him picking up English soil and stashing it away). Therefore Ragnar spared him, because he thought that Horik's boy was a kindred spirit. Big mistake of course ;-)

Why do you think Loki went with Ragnar rather than King Horik? They both told him they didn't trust him. I kind of got the feeling that Loki was a little jealous of Ragnar and probably Ragnar's friendship with Athelstan. Is it because he had been with Ragnar longer? I wish it had been Ragnar's second wife to get killed and maybe he and Lagertha could get back together.

Why do you think Loki went with Ragnar rather than King Horik? They both told him they didn't trust him. I kind of got the feeling that Loki was a little jealous of Ragnar and probably Ragnar's friendship with Athelstan. Is it because he had been with Ragnar longer? I wish it had been Ragnar's second wife to get killed and maybe he and Lagertha could get back together.

I just think it comes down to Floki being and remaining loyal to Ragnar and wanting for his wife and daughter to have the best possible life, which Floki probably means will be easier to achieve under Ragnar than under Horik. And yep, we have established that Floki is jealous of Ragnar's closeness with Athelstan. :)

I am pretty sure Ragnar and Lagertha will not come back together. Lagertha does not strike me as a person who would go back to the man who has insulted her once.

Plus, Ragnar is now happy with Aslaug, and though she was annoying at first, I do not want her to die. ;)

I don't think Floki intend to betray Ragnar at all. I think it was all a plan to see what Horik was upto, it's why I think some of the Floki-Ragnar scenes in previous episodes were somewhat off/forced.

I am pretty sure Ragnar and Lagertha will not come back together. Lagertha does not strike me as a person who would go back to the man who has insulted her once.

Plus, Ragnar is now happy with Aslaug, and though she was annoying at first, I do not want her to die. ;)

Well, apparently this was a scene from the European Version... If this is legit, I'd say draw your own conclusion. Sadly, we have no way of accesing the European version. I'd love to see the show with those scenes they cut added to it.

Archived