[Book Spoilers] Forel vs. Trant debate

kiasyd

I think Ned being a seasoned fighter himself would recognize that a traditional fighting style woulds not fit Arya. Think Rob Roy, fencing incorporates speed and agility traits more suited to Arya. As for Syrio surviving, I think it is very possible, Trant's stamina would be wavering after chasing Syrio's dodges, feints and tumbles. After that Syrio could retrieve a weapon or at minimum get Trant off his feet and would have plenty of time to make an escape. I think as first sword of Bravos he would have experience dueling knights in full plate.

I think Ned being a seasoned fighter himself would recognize that a traditional fighting style woulds not fit Arya. Think Rob Roy, fencing incorporates speed and agility traits more suited to Arya. As for Syrio surviving, I think it is very possible, Trant's stamina would be wavering after chasing Syrio's dodges, feints and tumbles. After that Syrio could retrieve a weapon or at minimum get Trant off his feet and would have plenty of time to make an escape. I think as first sword of Bravos he would have experience dueling knights in full plate.

• 3 weeks later...

In the show only. Jaime in AFFC described Meryn as an adequate fighter, which would put him on par with the likes of Ned Stark in terms of fighting ability.

Ned Stark and co. defeated Kingsguard, and good ones, at the Tower of Joy, despite being outnumbered. Plus, he held his own against Jamie Lannister prior to getting double-teamed. I'd say he was an excellent fighter.

Tyrion badmouthed Meryn Trant in the show, telling Bronn to kill him if he uttered another word, which also made fun of his fighting prowess.

I think its foreshadowing Arya to Braavos more than anything else. The Viper doesn't die because of "quick but no armor < slower in armor." He indeed WINS because of that, like Bronn did, but ends up losing anyway.

The foreshadowing was in Tyrion telling Oberyn to at least wear a helmet. A helmet might have saved him.

Archived