[Book spoilers] Jon and Ghost's reunion

While I really appreciated it and had been looking forward to it for a long time, did anyone else find it underwhelming? For instance, when they're reunited in ASOS, just north of the wall after the battle, Ghost leaps at Jon and they roll around and cuddle on the ground, like anyone would do after being seperated or away from their pet for a long time.

Perhaps it's just nitpicking, but does anyone else feel the same way?

It was literally the first thing I said. I was thrilled they're back together -- but I wanted that puppy/human moment... I always liked that scene in the books -- Jon with a freaking direwolf rolling around like a puppy who found his way home :-)

That being said, my son immediately looked at me and said, "Give it up Mom, it's too difficult with CGI."

Lol. He's right of course, but still -- Brat.

Definitely underwhelmed but not surprised. Ghost has been butchered on the show

I know and this kills me... I absolutely love the idea of him. I'm fine with the other direwolves, too -- but let's face it, Ghost is just... better ;-)

Maybe it would have been better if they used dogs who look like wolves instead of cgi-direwolves. I know the cgi-direwolves look great but they are too much off screen. Or they could use wolf-dog hybrids like the saarloos wolfdog. They are not dangerous, I've seen one kept as pet, and I think you can train them.

Kit's acting has been fine and think he has really stepped it up this season with much more beefier material - thought he hit a grand slam out of the park with his speech in episode four.

Regardless, I thought they actually used real wolves (I seem to remember seeing the wolf they use for Summer in front of a green screen) and then utilized CGI to make them huge.

I can understand if it was too difficult/impossible to have Ghost cuddle with Jon (leap on him and roll around in the snow), but at least Jon could have pet him more and hugged him, with Ghost licking his face a couple times.

Yes the use real wolves but the actors don't see them because they are filmed seperatly, that's why it's difficult to cuddle these wolves. In the first episode they used real dogs, they should have continued that.

Yes the use real wolves but the actors don't see them because they are filmed seperatly, that's why it's difficult to cuddle these wolves. In the first episode they used real dogs, they should have continued that.

Check this out -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xti4TcrwBYY

(Wish we could embed youtube videos on here)

They could probably (and easily) use tame wolves to interact with the actors on the show.

Kit was fine, but the scene overall definitely underwhelmed me. I've pretty much resigned myself to the reality that the CGI wolves are never going to be as good as the wolves in my imagination. I fully understand why they aren't using real dogs, though. There is no breed large enough. These animals are significantly larger even than real dire wolves were.

Note when they were using the Northern Inuits in the first three episodes, they were only meant to be a few weeks to a few months old, and they were already the size of an adult large breed. Summer went from puppy to full-size Northern Inuit in the span between Bran falling and the assassin coming for him. Grey Wind is bigger than Robb in the first episode of season two.

It was pretty adorable when Jon said "I missed you boy" then Ghost leans forward and makes whimpering noises.

Yeah, I hate how all the CGI goes to the dragons.

Ghost has been amazing in the past two episodes, especially with things being personal between him and Rast (reflecting back to season 1). At least the show have given him a sassy personality. I hope they keep this up.

This :wub:

It's character assassination of Ghost, of course...

But really, I liked the scene. Show!Jon is not a fifteen years old teenager. He's a grown up man who had just won his first combat as a leader of men, his veins are full of adrenaline, so he acts like a man teasing his companion giant wolf. He's not going to cuddle his wolf and turn around in the snow in front of his men. It's not the image he'd like to project and it's not how he's feeling at the moment.

Check this out -

(Wish we could embed youtube videos on here)

They could probably (and easily) use tame wolves to interact with the actors on the show.

Wolves are too small.

I love Kit, and his acting is fine. But even Daniel Day Lewis can't wrestle with a CGI dire wolf, and while the show has money, it doesn't have that kind of money unless you only want to hear the dragons for the rest of the season because you want the war vet returns home to pooch moment.

Archived