Main Cast by Number of Episodes

Travy1991

It is interesting to consider how much 'impact' certain characters have, esp when they have fewer eps. Brienne and Davos come to mind quickly as memorable characters, yet they are not even in the top 20 (at least not yet). It must be a combination of good casting, good acting, and a good, well-written role.

Personally, I could do with less Cersei as a little of her goes a long, long way.

I quite like Cersei. Well, like isn't really the right word - I find her character entertaining and I like how Lena Headey plays her. That said, I am quite surprised by how many episodes she's appeared in considering the lack of love fans have for that character. I know Game of Thrones is truly an ensemble show but if I were to say it had a star...it would be Peter Dinklage. It's interesting that Cersei appears in just as many episodes (although she probably gets less screentime overall).

They really sidelined Catelyn and Robb in season 3. That was the last season of the starks being major players in the war, and they could have spent way more time with them. Especially compared to how much screen time tyrion had in season 3 when his storylines were nowhere near as important. Catelyn, a major pov character in the books, was practically a background character when they were at riverrun.

Would be fascinating to see a list of lines spoken or minutes of screentime per actor/character to really put into perspective how much time is being spent on each story/character.

A poster on Goldderby.com's forums has been keeping a tally of the characters by lines of dialogue. The top ten characters by lines of dialogue this season are:

1. Tyrion Lannister - 152 lines

2. Tywin Lannister - 131 lines

3. Jaime Lannister - 126 lines

4. Cersei Lannister - 125 lines

5. Oberyn Martell - 97 lines

6. Sandor Clegane - 70 lines

7. Jon Snow - 65 lines

8. Daenerys Targaryen - 64 lines

9. Sansa Stark - 62 lines

10. Arya Stark - 56 lines

They really sidelined Catelyn and Robb in season 3. That was the last season of the starks being major players in the war, and they could have spent way more time with them. Especially compared to how much screen time tyrion had in season 3 when his storylines were nowhere near as important. Catelyn, a major pov character in the books, was practically a background character when they were at riverrun.

I had big issues with how they handled Catelyn and Robb's storyline in Season 2 which I felt affected their characters in the long run but I don't necessarily have a problem with how they were used in Season 3. I don't feel that Tyrion was overused in Season 3. His amount of screentime decreased considerably from what he had in Season 2.

I actually felt they gave Catelyn more to do on the show than what she had in the books. Prior to the Red Wedding, Catelyn spends all of her time internal monologuing about how much grief has fallen on her family as she sits next to Hoster's dying body. No I feel, Show Catelyn is a bit too much of a simplistic mamabear figure in the show but I didn't have a problem with her overall screentime.

I had big issues with how they handled Catelyn and Robb's storyline in Season 2 which I felt affected their characters in the long run but I don't necessarily have a problem with how they were used in Season 3. I don't feel that Tyrion was overused in Season 3. His amount of screentime decreased considerably from what he had in Season 2.

I actually felt they gave Catelyn more to do on the show than what she had in the books. Prior to the Red Wedding, Catelyn spends all of her time internal monologuing about how much grief has fallen on her family as she sits next to Hoster's dying body. No I feel, Show Catelyn is a bit too much of a simplistic mamabear figure in the show but I didn't have a problem with her overall screen time.

Lack of roose Bolton is disturbing

Yes, I would like to see more Roose Bolton too. Michael McElhatton does a great job.

Edit: Sorry for the double post!

I actually felt they gave Catelyn more to do on the show than what she had in the books. Prior to the Red Wedding, Catelyn spends all of her time internal monologuing about how much grief has fallen on her family as she sits next to Hoster's dying body. No I feel, Show Catelyn is a bit too much of a simplistic mamabear figure in the show but I didn't have a problem with her overall screen time.

Yes, I would like to see more Roose Bolton too. Michael McElhatton does a great job.

Edit: Sorry for the double post!

Of course Tyrion's screentime decreased in season 3 compared with season 2. That's because Tyrion has a huge role and huge story in ACOK and in season 2, but he has very little to do in the first part of ASOS that season 3 covered (especially since he doesn't even meet Oberyn yet). But that doesn't mean that Tyrion wasn't overused in season 3, because he should have had less screentime in season 3, the entire King's Landing storyline in season 3 was dragged out and given way too much screentime, which could have been spent better otherwise, say, in the Riverlands with Cat, Robb, etc. what with the RW being the climax of that season.

The screentime he had in season 2 was just what was necessary - he's got 15 chapters in ACOK and his storyline is huge. They seem to be trying to give all of the most popular characters a certain amount of screentime in every season, regardless of how much real story they actually have, which results in awful storylines like Dany in Qarth; Dany should have had far less screentime in season 2 and Arya should have had much more.

A poster on Goldderby.com's forums has been keeping a tally of the characters by lines of dialogue. The top ten characters by lines of dialogue this season are:

1. Tyrion Lannister - 152 lines

2. Tywin Lannister - 131 lines

3. Jaime Lannister - 126 lines

4. Cersei Lannister - 125 lines

5. Oberyn Martell - 97 lines

6. Sandor Clegane - 70 lines

7. Jon Snow - 65 lines

8. Daenerys Targaryen - 64 lines

9. Sansa Stark - 62 lines

10. Arya Stark - 56 lines

..I'm very happy with this list.

Of course Tyrion's screentime decreased in season 3 compared with season 2. That's because Tyrion has a huge role and huge story in ACOK and in season 2, but he has very little to do in the first part of ASOS that season 3 covered (especially since he doesn't even meet Oberyn yet). But that doesn't mean that Tyrion wasn't overused in season 3, because he should have had less screentime in season 3, the entire King's Landing storyline in season 3 was dragged out and given way too much screentime, which could have been spent better otherwise, say, in the Riverlands with Cat, Robb, etc. what with the RW being the climax of that season.

The screentime he had in season 2 was just what was necessary - he's got 15 chapters in ACOK and his storyline is huge. They seem to be trying to give all of the most popular characters a certain amount of screentime in every season, regardless of how much real story they actually have, which results in awful storylines like Dany in Qarth; Dany should have had far less screentime in season 2 and Arya should have had much more.

Fair enough if you feel that way. I think the King's Landing plotline is the best part of both the show and the first three books personally so I don't mind if they dedicate extra screentime to it. I think that is where their strengths lie. I felt that when ASOS reached a Catelyn chapter, we had Catelyn grieving or Robb making some understandable yet stupid decisions (like marrying Jeyne). It wasn't very compelling although I do like both Cat and Robb as characters. And even though Tyrion appeared in 9 episodes that season, the only real memorable ones for me were his scenes with Cersei and Tywin in the premiere episode, the silliness with Pod and his wedding to Sansa.

As for Dany with Qarth, I think the show did a poor job of expanding on the plotline but they needed to expand on it all the same. Dany's a pretty major character so they had to find a way to beef up her chapters for the second season.

Mockingbird Update:

• Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Lena Headey (Cersei) STILL remain on top, all tied up, with the most number of episodes throughout the series. Will they ever outdo one another or will someone else come along and beat them both. It's looking unlikely.
  • In terms of Season 4, our beloved twins Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) and Lena Headey (Cersei) have appeared in all episodes of the season thus far. I don't think any character is going to have a perfect 10 episode record by the end of the season considering how the show is maybe only focusing on three to five storylines an episode (which is small for Game of Thrones).
  • In one way, I like this decision as it gives the episode more focus but I also feel it has hurt some of the characters and their storylines, notably Theon, the Wildlings and whatever they are doing with Gilly.
  • Back to numbers and the list remains mostly the same as last week in terms of rank by episode. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) has now appeared in the same number of episodes as Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) at this point. Rory McCann (The Hound) has now appeared in the same number of episodes as Alfie Allen (Theon) and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn).
  • Gwendoline Christie (Brienne) and Sibel Kekilli (Shae) fight over who breaks into the Top 20 characters with most episodes. I wonder who will have more episodes in the end, hmm?
  • It looks like Carice Van Houten (Melisandre), Hannah Murray (Gilly), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund) and Iwan Rheon (Ramsay) enjoy hanging with the dead as all our dearly departed characters begin to stockpile at the bottom of the table. Joffrey, Catelyn and Robb are our only deceased characters to still remain within our Top 20 characters with the most appearances.
  • Who we need to see more of: He's not a main character but MANCE BLOODY RAYDER! This show has yet another fantastic actor in Ciarán Hinds and he's only had about 10 minutes screentime where he's required to scowl and shout a trailer line or two. They better make good use of him in the final episodes of Season 4 and really establish him in Season 5.

Next update in two weeks because of Memorial Day. I'm all for remembering the dead but while you Americans are off vacationing and drinking Bud Lite to celebrate your federal holiday, us international GoT fans need to wait an agonising two weeks for the next episode without the celebrations. Hopefully you'll think of us (obviously after you've memorised all those who died in combat...first world problems in our case and all that. *grumble*)

Got to laugh.

On the phone:

Gerard Jordan (Biter)”Guess what mom, I am on Game of Thrones again.”

But look quick, because it’s only five seconds and you don’t even see my face well!

Andy Beckwith ( Rorge ) gets 15 seconds!”

I would agree that Arya should have had more screentime in S2 (far more), but you have to realise that such changes are part of the reality of a TV show. In the books it doesn't matter so much that Dany hasn't got much material in book 2, or Tyrion in the first half of book 3 as in a few days you will get to a section of the books where they have more page time. In the show they have to have the main characters on the screen otherwise viewers will forget about them.

This may mean either bringing forward future scenes or inventing material. Invented material doesn't have to be of the poor quality of Dany's season 2 material, with some decent writing and some thought put into it can be as good as any other scenes on the show.

Interesting how Theon appeared in more episodes in season 1 than Jaime, Jon Snow, Robb, and even Robert. Guess they were making sure audiences remember him for season 2.

It would be interesting to see a ranking like this by time, not number of episodes. Too much work, but it would be pretty interesting to see.

Stannis and Davos have less episodes than SHAE. Seriously.

Shae is a supporting character in King's Landing, a setting that is featured in almost every episode, and is an associate of Tyrion, the biggest character on the show. It's not really surprising that she has more episodes than two characters who, while bigger pieces in the story in a number of respects, are off in their own, much-smaller plot.

also as far as fan's lack of love for cersei is concerned....most people don't like villainous/flawed female characters. especially those who are a downer for the male heroes and antiheroes. and cersei has gone against ned, robert, tyrion, and now jaime. so of course people don't like her. plus she's a ~bitch~. but frankly , in a purely objective sense she's one of the most layered, complex and well-written characters on the show. especially after the mockingbird episode in which they included that story her being physically abusive towards baby tyrion. they're starting to feel more comfortable with adding in aspects of book!cersei which is GOOD because book!cersei has always been a stronger character than show!cersei imo. now if only they can show her weaponizing her sexuality and beauty........

Here is the screentime up to the last episode mockingbird. Thanks to youtube i was able to get the time up to the seconds, but i will just round off. The purple wedding is not included because it was very hard to do since everyone was there.but some did not have any lines, but i believe to be about 20 minutes. Tyrion trial is not included in the chart ( you can just add the time). I did it in three parts:

Tyrion trial=19:00 minutes

Trial 1st part= 8:21 m

Jaime and tywin= 3:00 m

Trial 2nd part= 7:39 m

1. Tywin= 23 minutes +pw and trial

2. Tyrion= 39 m +pw and trial

3. Jaime= 30 m +pw and trial

4. Bronn= 15 m

5. Oberyn= 27 m +pw and trial

6. Ellaria= 7 m

7. sansa= 30 m +pw

8. shae= 4 m +pw and trial

9. cersei= 32 m +pw and trial

10. Tormund= 5 m

11. Ygritte= 5 m

12. Jon= 27 m

13. Sam= 12 m

14. Gilly= 6 m

15. Lady Olenna= 7 m +pw

16. Marg= 11 m +pw and trial

17. brienne= 20 m +pw

18. joffery= 7 m +pw

19. Dany= 34 m

20. Arya= 28 m

21. Hound= 28 m

22. Ramsey= 14 m

23. Roose B.= 6 m

24. Theon= 15 m

25. Mel= 8 m

26. Stannis= 11 m

27. Davos= 10 m

28. Bran= 18 m

29. Asha= 5 m

30. White Walker= 3 m

This is not perfect , but we can get more or less an idea of the screentime. Sorry if I misspelled any names. I hope i did it right.

Archived