Main Cast by Number of Episodes

Travy1991

After Season 4, 22 series regulars are expected to return for Season 5 and Joe Dempsie (Gendry) has been confirmed to return as well bringing the number to 23. Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei) and Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis) are being promoted to series regulars in Season 5 bringing the number to 25. So I would say that Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton) and Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) have a pretty good chance to be promoted to series regulars. If the show is aiming at 28 series regulars I would give the last spot to Gemma Whelan (Yara Greyjoy) or one of the Martells, most likely Arianne if she is casted.

I think Tom Wlaschiha (who plays Jaqen H'ghar) got a series regular position for next season too. Who knows, perhaps they'll decide to have more than 28.

4x10 The Children Update:

Hi guys, apologies, I'm a bit slow with my updates over the last few weeks. One of the reasons for this is that I have expanded the list to include supporting cast number of episodes in the main post. Now any characters that has appeared in five or more episodes of Game of Thrones can be found in the first post with the number of episodes, seasons etc.

• So going by the finale, Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Lena Headey (Cersei) remain the cast members with the most number of episodes per series. They are only absent from four episodes altogether.
  • Emilia Clarke (Dany), Maisie Williams (Arya) and Kit Harrington (Jon) round out the Top 5. Kit Harrington is also pretty consistent - he has appeared in eight episodes each of every season. Maisie Williams had appeared in nine episodes per season prior to Season 4 where she received significantly less episodes at six. Emilia Clarke's numbers are almost consistent. She was only absent from one episode in Season 1 but was absent from two episodes in Seasons 2, 3 and 4.
  • The departed cast members of Jack Gleeson (Joffrey), Rose Leslie (Ygritte), Sibel Kekilli (Shae) and Charles Dance (Tywin) have a grand total of 26, 17, 20 and 26 episodes total throughout the series, provided they don't show up again. And I'd imagine Kekili and Dance will be returning next season to play corpses (unless body prosthetics are used instead). If The Hound is gone for good (which seems less likely now that the show has not provided any visual confirmation), Rory McCann will close the series with a total of 27 episodes.
  • I was one of the disappointed to not Stoneheart appear in the Season 4 finale. I'm cautiously hopeful that we will see Stoneheart in Season 5 though.
  • I'm hoping to see Stannis and Melisandre's episode counts increase significantly in Season 5.
  • Mark Stanley (Grenn) and Julian Glover (Pycelle) are tied for most episodes for a non-series regular character. Looks like Glover will beat out Stanley starting next week. *sniff*Grenn*sniff*

Moving onto discussion about Season 5. The reason why I suggested Quentyn and Griff as series regulars was because the show has never done a full storyline with any guest characters before. All guest actors link in with the storylines of the series regulars on the show (barring of course the opening sequence with the White Walkers and Night's Watch). Quentyn could be spending episodes without any series-regular interaction so that's why I suggested he be made a series regular. Same goes for Griff. Although I guess the show could condense Quentyn's storyline right down to him being in Meereen and interacting with Dany's troop while Griff and Varys could have a thing going on. And it looks like Varys will remain a series regular. Of course, I have no idea for sure. Arianne, Quentyn and Griff could be cut completely from the show which would be a shame.

As far as speculating about series regulars, I wouldn't take those reports as 100% factual yet either. Jaqen is only rumoured to be returning while the show has previously released statements about Michael McElhatton and Diana RIgg being regulars and that not being the case, at least according to the main credits. I wouldn't be surprised if some supporting characters like Tommen and Grey Worm were made regulars next season seeing as there's always a few surprises when it comes to who gets in the opening credits.

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone!

So another year, another season of Game of Thrones. I will continue to update the list of main cast members and the number of episodes they appear in throughout the show. While many have pointed out that measuring actual screentime for a character would be a more worthwhile endeavour, I still think that measuring how many episodes each character appears in throughout the series is an interesting way of seeing how often the producers feel we need to "drop in" on a character.

Tyrion, Cersei, Dany, Jon, Sansa and Arya are often considered the "Big 6" in the show and the number of episodes they appear in seems to indicate that. But these characters can still be absent from a couple of episodes in various seasons. For example, Sansa appears less in Season 2 and Arya who was on an 8 episode roll for the first three seasons each, only appeared in 6 in Season 4. Tyrion also had less screentime in Season 4 while Cersei had less in Season 3. Only Dany and Jon are consistent throughout the show, particularly Jon who has appeared in 8 episodes in each season.

This list was also expanded to include guest characters who appear in 5 or more episodes of the show. Each guest character is organised by the region of the world they are from (or where they first appear if the books or episodes don't allude to it). So let's take a look at episode counts for the premiere episode of Season 5.

5x01 "The Wars to Come" Update:

• Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Lena Headey (Cersei) are still tied for most number of episodes in the show. They have both appeared in a grand total of 37 out of 41 episodes. Peter has been absent from one episode in Season 1, one episode in Season 3 and two episodes in Season 4. Lena has been absent from one episode in Season 2, two episodes in Season 3 and one episode in Season 4.
  • Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei), Michiel Huisman (Daario) and Dean-Charles Chapman (Tommen) have all been promoted to the main cast. Interestingly both Huisman and Chapman are recasts of characters originally played by Ed Skrein and Callum Wharry respectively. These promotions to main cast means that there have been a total of 39 series regulars in the Game of Thrones cast, with more likely to come in the next couple of episodes (I won't spoil for those who haven't seen Episodes 2 - 4).
  • Charles Dance (Tywin) likely makes his final appearance in the show as Tywin's corpse. He finishes with a total of 27 episodes.
  • For those who may not be aware, Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran) will be absent this season. Hempstead-Wright has appeared in 25 episodes of the show but as he'll missing for ten this year, expect a couple of series regulars who may have had more limited screentime in the past leapfrog him this year. Aidan Gillen (Petyr) now appears in the same number of episodes as him despite his limited screentime in Season 3.

• In terms of guest cast, we have a couple of new characters who make the "five episodes or more" criteria for this list. Characters from The Reach get a little more screentime with Tara Fitzgerald (Selyse) and Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Mace) now appearing in five episodes as of this season premiere.
  • Other characters making the five episodes include Ian Gelder (Kevan - quietly sneaking his way in there) and Ciarán Hinds (Mance - a character who sadly had very little screentime despite his importance and the great acting from Hinds).
  • Both Ian Gelder (Kevan) and Eugene Simon (Lancel) make a welcome return to the series after an absence of two seasons.
  • BOOK SPOILERS! So the question is - is Mance really dead? I really hope not because Hinds is a great actor and while the show tried to build him up as an important character, five episodes with only a small amount of screentime really didn't do the trick in making us see Mance as anything other than a minor plotline in the show. If the show remains faithful to the books, we may see Mance again but the staging of that final scene seems to suggest otherwise.
  • In terms of guest cast with the most number of episodes - Julian Glover (Pycelle) is in the lead with 23 episodes across the 5 seasons. Next is Mark Stanley (Grenn), who is no longer of this world, tied with Ian McElhinney (Barristan) on 22 episodes each. That's interesting about McElhinney. He was absent from the entirety of Season 2 but has been pretty much a constant fixture in Dany's storyline from Season 3 onwards. It's a shame that he still feels like such a minor character despite this. Hopefully, the next few episodes can rectify things a bit in that area.
  • Other prominent guest characters include Kristian Nairn (Hodor) with 21 episodes (but don't expect to see him this season either), Daniel Portman (Pod) with 17 episodes and surprisingly Ben Crompton (Dolorous Edd) who also has 17 episodes. All other guest characters have appeared in 15 episodes or less.
  • Not human-cast related but I'm liking the effects this season. That Viserion and Rhaegal scene was pretty cool. Did anyone catch the brief glimpse of Ghost chewing on some object in the Caste Black training yard?

• My predictions for regular status next year: Barristan, Missandei, Daario, Doran, Yara (and assuming their cast)...Arianne, Quentyn, Griff and Victarion.

Just reading back over some of my older posts...I clearly know nothing. :lol:

5x02 "The House of Black and White" Update

• So Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Lena Headey (Cersei) continue to tie in first place, both appearing in 38 out of 42 episodes throughout the series. I share Ran's (Elio's) opinion that this episode could have probably done without the Dinklage. Don't get me wrong, it's always fun to see Tyrion and Varys (Conleth Hill) verbally spar but the conversation didn't reveal any new information. That extra 5 minutes of screentime could have been used for Dorne or Braavos.
  • Speaking of Dorne and Braavos, we have two new main characters join the cast. If you've been keeping up with casting news, this wasn't much of a surprise but we now have Indira Varma (Ellaria) and ​Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen/No-One) appear in the opening credits. Too bad Wlaschiha's appearance was given away in the beginning but it's cool to see him again. With Varma joining the cast, Harry Lloyd (Viserys) is no longer the sole series regular with the least number of episodes. Both he and Varma appear in just 5 episodes. Although Varma will be sticking around longer so it's a hollow victory for now. :lol:
  • Game of Thrones has had a total of 41 series regulars across the show so far. There were 19 main cast members in Season 1 and four were killed off (although one made a brief appearance in Season 2). These 15 surviving cast members were joined by 10 new cast members in Season 2 (six of whom were promoted from guest cast and four who were new cast members). All 25 main cast members survived Season 2 and were joined by three new cast members in Season 3 (all of whom were promoted from guest cast). These 28 cast members did not survive past Season 3 - four were killed off and one has been absent since. The returning cast for Season 4 had 23 members with an additional four actors joining the main cast (all promoted from guest cast), bring the number of 27. However, four cast members were definitely killed off in Season 4 (although one reappears briefly in Season 5) bringing the cast list back down to 23 and then further down to 21 with the absence of two characters who last appeared in Season 4. However, five new cast members (all previous guest actors) have been added to the main cast this year so we're up to 26, with possibly more yet to come.

^There's my nerdy, convoluted breakdown of the series regulars in Game of Thrones.
  • Also in Dorne, we get the first appearances of Alexander Siddig (Doran), DeObia Operai (Areo) and Toby Sebastian (albeit briefly as Trystane). While they won't make the main post until they've been made a regular or appeared in five plus episodes, I think we will see them get there eventually. This also marks Nell Tiger Free's first appearance as Myrcella, taking over from Aimee Richardson who portrayed the Lannister Baratheon princess in Seasons 1 and 2. Myrcella, as a character, has now appeared in 9 episodes of the show.
  • Finally on Dorne, I hope we will get to see Arianne and perhaps Quentyn. While I think Quentyn is highly unlikely, I'm still holding out hope that we might see Arianne in a future season. Maybe she's in Oldtown with Sarella Alleras. I'm hoping the casting omissions this season are just delayed ones, as was the case in Season 2 with Ramsay, Edmure, Blackfish and the Reeds. I know, I know, wishful thinking!
  • Power players Aidan Gillen (Petyr) and Conleth Hill (Varys) are creeping up into the Top 10 with 26 and 25 episodes respectively, despite limited episode time in some of the previous seasons. They share these episode ranges with current/previous Top 10/15 cast members like Charles Dance (Tywin), Rory McCann (Sandor), Alfie Allen (Theon), Jack Gleeson (Joffrey), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn) and Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran). With the exception of Allen (who we still haven't seen this season), we know that the aforementioned characters will likely not appear this year, due to death ora season long absence at least.
  • Something I realised this week which most hardcore fans probably already knew: Sam and Shireen had a nice scene together with Gilly. Sam and Shireen are actually second cousins as both their mothers are first cousins.

Let's look at the guest cast by region and see who'll be on top in terms of episodes:

• North of The Wall: Natalia Tena as Osha (14 episodes). Unlikely to be pipped from this post, despite her likely absence this year, as all the other 5+ guest characters hailing from the "true North" are dead.
  • The North: Jeez, nearly everyone in The North is dead too! Current North champion Grenn (Mark Stanley) is dead with 22 episodes under his belt. The remaining living Northerners - Kristian Nairn (Hodor), Art Parkinson (Rickon) and Ellie Kendrick (Meera) - will likely be absent this season. Expect to see "bros before hoes" killer Brenock O'Connor (Olly) rise through the ranks as he appears in the 2 aired episodes this season.
  • The Iron Islands: Our only living guest Iron Islander is the sadly underused Gemma Whelan (Yara) with just 6 episodes.
  • The Vale: Despite not opening his mouth to share his bleak quips, Ben Crompton (Edd of the Vale's House Tollet) has made two quiet appearances in the Season 5 aired episodes. Crompton has appeared in 18 episodes overall.
  • The Westerlands: Of House Payne, Daniel Portman (Podrick) also brings his episode count up to 18 episodes. We should hopefully see Eugene Simon (Lancel), Ian Gelder (Kevan) and maybe even Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (The Mountain) reappear again this year.
  • The Riverlands: Dominic Carter (Janos of House Slynt in The Riverlands) now appears in more episodes than the dearly departed Josef Altin (Pyp who was in Acorn Hall before being carted off to The Wall) with 14 to 13.
  • The Crownlands: Julian Glover (Pycelle) is still way ahead of the pack with 24 episodes under his belt. Owen Teale (Alliser) and Ben Hawkey (Hot Pie) now appear in the same number of episodes with 11 each. Kerry Ingram (Shireen) is also getting a welcome amount of extra screen time this season, appearing in both aired episodes of Season 5.
  • The Reach: Finn Jones (Loras) is leading the pack here with 15 episodes. Both Roger Ashton-Griffiths (Mace) and Tara Fitzgerald (Selyse) are getting a decent amount of time too and the show is not going to pass up on more Diana Rigg (Olenna) screen time when she returns to the show.
  • The Stormlands: Ian McElhinney (Barristan) is also way ahead of the pack here with 23 episodes. After him, Ian Beattie (Meryn of The Stormlands' House Trant) appears in 14 episodes across the five seasons.
  • The rest: The only surviving guest characters with 5 or more episodes hailing from Dorne, Lys, Myr, The Dothraki Sea and The Summer Isles are Paul Kaye (Thoros), Steven Cole (Kovarro) and Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm). With the former two very unlikely to appear this season, Anderson (Grey Worm) is well ahead with 14 episodes.

5x03: "High Sparrow" Update

• Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) and Lena Headey (Cersei) continue to be the joined-first actors to appear in the most episodes of Game of Thrones (39/43). Second place is shared by Emilia Clarke (Daenerys), Kit Harrington (Jon) and Maisie Williams (Arya) who appear in 35/43 episodes. Finally, in third place, is Sophie Turner (Sansa) with 34/43 episodes.
  • I've been doing some thinking and I've adjusted the episode count for Conleth Hill (Varys) and Gwendoline Christie (Brienne). Not only do they both appear in this episode but I've decided to include their appearances in 4x03: "Breaker of Chains" too, appearances I originally didn't include as it was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot from behind in the opening moments of that episode. I decided originally that this wasn't a valid appearance as you'd need to strain to see them and decided a valid appearance is the character needed new dialogue or we'd need to clearly see their faces.

I've decided to go back on this as there have been other counts of this happening through the show. For example, Ben Hawkey (Hot Pie) and Eros Vlahos (Lommy Greenhands) appear from behind with no dialogue in 2x01: "The North Remembers". It's very clearly them, so I decided those appearances were valid. Then I thought that Brienne and Varys appearance in 4x03 should be included too because you can't necessarily pick and choose like that.

It should also be noted that Michael Condron (Bowen Marsh) has already appeared in the first three episodes of Season 5 although he has not yet been identified onscreen and his appearances have been fast and furious (you can see him standing next to Alliser and Janos in 5x01 during Mance's burning, you can see him look disgruntled next to Alliser and Janos after Jon is made Lord Commander, and you can see him sitting to Jon's right/viewer's left in 5x03 before Jon beheads Janos). I have included these appearances because he should be a more important character later.

If a character is credited but does not appear in the episode, this will not be counted among their episodes, as was the case with Sean Bean (Ned) for 1x10: "Fire and Blood", Steven Cole (Kovarro) for 2x02: "The Night Lands" and Jerome Flynn (Bronn) in 4x05: "First of His Name" (this credit error was fixed in DVD/Blu-ray release). Extras who stand in for substantial characters before they are cast will not have these episodes added to their totals. This applies to the extras who have "played" Jaqen, Rorge, Biter, Selyse, Rickard or Jeyne. The three extras who played Jaqen, Rorge and Biter in 1x10: "Fire and Blood" will have not this episode counted among as the extras remained unidentified onscreen and were only stand-ins until Tom Wlaschiha, Andy Beckwith and Gerard Jordan were cast and identified as these characters in Season 2. This also applies to the extra playing an unidentified Selyse in 2x01: "The North Remembers" before Tara Fitzgerald was cast and identified in Season 3, and an unidentified Rickard in 1x10: "Fire and Blood" before John Stahl was cast and identified as Rickard in Season 2. Even if external information or commentaries say the extras/actors are playing these characters, as long as they remain unidentified onscreen, the writers can easily change the character with zero commotion.
  • I have also decided to make the first post more comprehensive, in regards to the guest cast. Formerly, an actor either had to be a series regular or a guest character with five episodes or more to make the first post. I have decided to reduce this to three episodes or more so that we can begin tracking characters earlier. I decided to do this because the showrunners have been quite comfortable since Season 4 with leaving certain characters out for a good run of episodes (series regulars Alfie Allen (Theon), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay) and Hannah Murray (Gilly) only appeared in three that season). As Season 5 will have a number of important characters who may not appear in five episodes or more more this season (Siddig, Pryce, Castle-Hughes, Henwick, Laurenti-Sellers, Sebastian, Oparei etc.), I have decided we will reduce the number of episodes they appear in so we can track their appearances earlier.

By doing this, we can also see the episodes of characters who have appeared in very few episodes of the show but have still made big impacts such as David Bradley (Walder - 3 episodes), Patrick Malahide (Balon - 3 episodes), Burn Gorman (Karl - 4 episodes), Joseph Mawle (Benjen - 3 episodes) and Mia Soteriou (Mirri Maz Duur - 3 episodes).
  • From the guest cast, you may also notice as series of very minor characters who have appeared in more than 3 episodes of the series. Here's a breakdown of who they are in case you're racking your brains.

- Joseph Gatt as Thenn Warg (3 episodes): A warg who accompanied Styr in Season 4. We meet him in 4x01 using his warg owl to track Ygritte and Tormund's party; we see him in 4x03 attacking Olly's village; and we see him in 4x09 using his owl to spy on the The Wall. Sam ends up killing him with a crossbow bolt.

- Forbes KB as 'Black' Lorren (4 episodes): Accompanies Theon, Dagmer and their raiding party to Winterfell. He disobeys Theon's commands in 2x05; helps seizes Winterfell in 2x06 and throws poor Rodrik onto the chopping block; Theon admonishes him in 2x07 for letting Bran and Rickon escape; and cheers in agreement when Theon is betrayed and knocked out by Dagmer in 2x10. He is presumably killed by Bolton men offscreen between Seasons 2 and 3.

- Tobias Winter as Timett (4 episodes): Son of Timett, he is the leader of the Burned Men, one of the hill tribes in The Vale. Timmet is employed by Tyrion Lannister and first appears in 1x08, being introduced to Tywin. He fights against Robb Stark's army in 1x09. He accompanies Tyrion to King's Landing in 2x01 where they stop by Joffrey's nameday tourney. Following Tyrion's orders in 2x03, he cuts off Pycelle's beard after Pycelle betrays Tyrion to Cersei.

- Fintan McKeown as Amory Lorch (4 episodes): A bannerman and soldier to House Lannister. He murders Yoren in 2x03; takes Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie to Harrenhal in 2x04; attends Tywin's war council in 2x05 where he is admonished by Tywin for his poor literacy skills; and is killed by an eye rolling Jaqen H'ghar with a wolfsbane poison dart in 2x07.

- Josephine Gillan as Marei (5 episodes): A red-headed whore in Petyr Baelish's establishment. She is admonished by Ros for her over-the-top screaming whilst with a client in 2x01; she is spied upon having sex with one client by another client in 2x02 who seedily watches her through a keyhole while being pleasured himself; she is one of the lucky prostitutes to get a bit of Podrick in 3x03; she is "definitely not tee-mid" in 4x01 when joining Ellaria and Oberyn's sex party in 4x01 and rejoins them again in 4x03.

- Sahara Knite as Armeca (4 episodes): An olive skinned whore in Petyr Baelish's establishment. She takes part in that infamous sexposition scene in 1x07 with Petyr and Ros; she is revealed to pretend not to speak the Common Tongue by Ros in 2x01 when Daisy passes by and comments on her exotic beauty; she pleasures a seedy client in 2x02 and comes to provide Bronn some pleasure before the Battle of Blackwater in 2x09.

- Maisie Dee as Daisy (3 episodes): A common whore from Haystack Hall in The Stormlands, she is introduced to Petyr Baelish's establishment in 2x01 by Ros. She is interrupted during a session with Pycelle by Tyrion and Timett in 2x03. Joffrey has Ros beat Daisy with a sceptre in 2x04, leaving Daisy's overall fate unknown.

- Dan Hildebrand as Kraznys mo Nakloz (3 episodes): A slave-trader in Astapor. He introduces Dany to the Unsullied in 3x01; arranges a deal with her in 3x03 to give her Missandei and the Unsullied in exchange for her largest dragon. He is memorably burned to death by Drogon in 3x04.

- Nicholas Blane as Spice King (3 episodes): A merchant in Qarth, with a name he deems unpronounceable for Dany. He tries bargaining with her in 2x04 to let her into the city of Qarth; he dismisses her as she "I WILL TAKE WHAT IS MINE WITH FIRE AND BLOOD"'s him in 2x05; and he is murdered by Pyat Pree in 2x07.

• 2 weeks later...

5x04 "The Sons of the Harpy" Update:

There's not much to report this week so I'll just break down the Top 10 currently by main cast and guest cast.

Main Cast:

1. Peter DInklage (Tyrion Lannister) and Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister) - 40/44 episodes
  2. Emilia Clarke (Daenerys 'Dany' Targaryen) and Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) - 36/44 episodes
  3. Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) and Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) - 35/44 episodes
  4. Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont) - 33/44 episodes
  5. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) - 31/44 episodes
  6. John Bradley (Samwell 'Sam' Tarly) - 30/44 episodes
  7. Aidan Gillen (Petyr Baelish) - 28/44 episodes
  8. Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Conleth Hill (Varys) and Rory McCann (Sandor Clegane) - 27/44 episodes
  9. Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon) - 26/44 episodes
  10. Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Tully) and Isaac Hempstead Wright (Brandon 'Bran' Stark) - 25/44 episodes

Guest Cast:

1. Julian Glover (Pycelle) - 26/44 episodes
  2. Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) - 24/44 episodes
  3. Mark Stanley (Grenn) - 22/44 episodes
  4. Kristian Nairn (Walder 'Hodor') - 21/44 episodes
  5. Ben Crompton (Eddison 'Edd' Tollett) - 20/44 episodes
  6. Daniel Portman (Podrick 'Pod' Payne) - 19/44 episodes
  7. Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell ) - 17/44 episodes
  8. Ian Beattie (Meryn Trant) - 16/44 episodes
  9. Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm) and Dominic Carter (Janos Slynt) - 15/44 episodes
  10. Esmé Bianco (Ros), Donald Sumpter (Luwin) and Natalia Tena (Osha) - 14/44 episodes

I bet people are going to love that Ros still makes the Top 10 guest characters list 18 episodes after she's killed off! :laugh:

Finn's episode count of 17 is actually somewhat hilarious considering the non-entity that Loras character is on the show. I guess it should be considered though, that of those 17 episodes a full 5 (2.4, 2.9, 4.5, 4.6, 5.3) have been line-less and probably almost as many 'one-two-three liners'.

In the first page Littlefinger is listed as having been in 3 episodes this season but he has been in all 4 like Sansa.

Thanks for the correction. The tally of 28 episodes total was correct but I forgot to change his number of episodes in Season 5 from 3 to 4.

Poor Isaac, only scraping into the top 10 rankings in terms of main cast appearances.

Poor Isaac indeed! He may indeed be knocked out of the Top 10 by season's end as Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Jerome Flynn (Bronn) and Stephen Dillane (Stannis) could reach 25 or more episodes this season. Maybe Isaac will have more to do in Season 6. :lol:

Finn's episode count of 17 is actually somewhat hilarious considering the non-entity that Loras character is on the show. I guess it should be considered though, that of those 17 episodes a full 5 (2.4, 2.9, 4.5, 4.6, 5.3) have been line-less and probably almost as many 'one-two-three liners'.

Loras has definitely had a couple of no-line appearances, most recently in 5x03: "High Sparrow" where he's only among the crowd applauding at Margaery and Tommen's wedding. And I wouldn't say Loras is a non-entity in the show. He has more to do, he's just poorly written. :bang:

Episode 505 officially knocked Lena Headey and Aiden Gillen out of the "main cast in every episode" sweepstakes. If you had asked me before this season, Headey would have been the first person I would have suggested would be in every episode.

Left in the running are Peter Dinklage, Kit Harrington, Sophie Turner, Stephen Dillane, and John Bradley. I think Dinklage is a shoo-in, and Turner seems like she has a pretty good shot at this point (remarkably), as does Harrington (less surprising).

Also, stepping on the toes of Travy1991, Dinklage is back in solo first place for most appearances total, and Turner moves ahead of Maisie Williams in the episode count for what I believe is the first time ever.

Episode 505 officially knocked Lena Headey and Aiden Gillen out of the "main cast in every episode" sweepstakes. If you had asked me before this season, Headey would have been the first person I would have suggested would be in every episode.

Left in the running are Peter Dinklage, Kit Harrington, Sophie Turner, Stephen Dillane, and John Bradley. I think Dinklage is a shoo-in, and Turner seems like she has a pretty good shot at this point (remarkably), as does Harrington (less surprising).

Well, Jon is apparently gonna skip 506 and I think he'll skip 509 as well, so every main cast will get 8 episodes in the end. (I think King's Landing will skip 508 or 509 again).

The question is Tyrion, and the only episode I think he'll skip is 508, so yeah, Peter Dinklage will be the main cast in most episodes this season in the end.

Well, Jon is apparently gonna skip 506 and I think he'll skip 509 as well, so every main cast will get 8 episodes in the end. (I think King's Landing will skip 508 or 509 again).

The question is Tyrion, and the only episode I think he'll skip is 508, so yeah, Peter Dinklage will be the main cast in most episodes this season in the end.

Why do you think Jon isn't in 506?

The blurb for 508 mentions Cersei, so King's Landing is in that one.

Between next week's promo and the blurbs that have been released, we know Sansa is in 506-508, so unless Winterfell is absent from the last two episodes (extraordinarily unlikely) she's in at least nine this year.

Yeah, I forgot Sansa. I think she'll make the 9 this year.

As for Jon, I think 506 will somehow be the Feast to 505's Dance (with the exception of Winterfell). Maybe I'll be wrong but I think we'll only get long establishing setpices (as in 505) at King's Landing, Dorne, Braavos and Winterfell, with Tyrion and Jorah getting a small scene only (probably at the beginning of the episode).

So all in all, I'd say no Wall and no Meereen in 506. It will be Dany's last absence from an episode of the season, and Jon will get his second one in 509.

Crossing out the names is wonderfully morbid. I shudder to think about how many more will be crossed off by the end of the next couple seasons. haha

Yes it is, Shadow Queen Medea! I somehow missed the strikethrough function first time round. It's interesting to see...as the show goes on...deceased characters stockpile at the bottom of their categories with their names crossed out. I'm wondering to what my list will look like as the series ends. :lol:

Also, stepping on the toes of Travy1991, Dinklage is back in solo first place for most appearances total, and Turner moves ahead of Maisie Williams in the episode count for what I believe is the first time ever.

Haha! Thanks for your help, Colonel Green. :cheers: The list has been updated now. It might take me a while to update these lists as I live in Ireland and the show airs in the US when I'm asleep in my bed (for the most part). I also watch the show in the evenings with a couple of friends which is great socially but a bit of a bother when I'm updating the list nearly 24 hours later.

That will be interesting. If this is the case, then Kit Harrington as Jon will have appeared in eight episodes every season. Gwendoline Christie as Brienne is also another consistent one...she's appeared in seven episodes every season since she appeared first in Season 2 (even though she was only a guest actress in her first two seasons). Will she continue the trend this year?

In terms of near consistency, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys has appeared in eight episodes of every season, barring Season 1 where she was in nine. Will she appear in eight this year again...or revert back to her Season 1 status? Maisie Williams as Arya has appeared in nine episodes each of the first three seasons but was only in six last year. Will she continue her new trend of six in Season 5, seeing as she won't be appearing in nine this year.

Yeah, I forgot Sansa. I think she'll make the 9 this year.

As for Jon, I think 506 will somehow be the Feast to 505's Dance (with the exception of Winterfell). Maybe I'll be wrong but I think we'll only get long establishing setpices (as in 505) at King's Landing, Dorne, Braavos and Winterfell, with Tyrion and Jorah getting a small scene only (probably at the beginning of the episode).

So all in all, I'd say no Wall and no Meereen in 506. It will be Dany's last absence from an episode of the season, and Jon will get his second one in 509.

I actually agree with this. I think we'll see Winterfell but not The Wall or Meereen. I also have a feeling we might not see Tyrion/Jorah next episode which would even Peter/Tyrion and Lena/Cersei out again in terms of episode count.

5x05: "Kill the Boy" Update:

So here's a brief breakdown of how characters are faring this episode.

Departure(s): IAN MCELHINNEY (Barristan Selmy) likely makes his final appearance in the show with this episode. He finishes with 25/45 episodes and is the second highest guest actor in terms of episodes. He only lags behind JULIAN MCMAHON (Pycelle) who is one episode above him at 26/45 episodes. How much longer will McElhinney hold that second place spot? His nearest competition is KRISTIAN NAIRN (Hodor) but Hodor won't be appearing this season so he won't be taking that spot this season.

Because McElhinney was such a big lover of the books, I would love to see him return. I think a dark wig and some minimal make-up could make McElhinney look 20 years younger and we could get, perhaps, a Robert's Rebellion flashback!

Made the List!: ELIZABETH WEBSTER ('Fat' Walda Frey) has now appeared in three episodes, one in Season 4 and two in Season 5 so far. You can now find her in Guest Cast under The Riverlands section. How much longer will Walda be with us now she's with child?

Something to Watch Out For: MICHAEL CONDRON (Bowen Marsh) has his first speaking scene in tonight's episode. He has previously appeared in the background for the first three episodes of Season 5, without speaking. This is also the first time we hear ALFIE ALLEN (Theon 'Reek' Greyjoy) BEN CROMPTON (Edd Tollett) and CHARLOTTE HOPE (Myranda) speak this season, though it is not their first appearance.

Main Cast Top 10:

1. Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) - 41/45 episodes

2. Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister) - 40/45 episodes

Emilia Clarke (Daenerys 'Dany' Targaryen) and Kit Harrington (Jon Snow) - 37/45 episodes

Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) - 36/45 episodes

Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) - 35/45 episodes

Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont) - 34/45 episodes

John Bradley (Samwell 'Sam' Tarly) and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) - 31/45 episodes

Alfie Allen (Theon 'Reek' Greyjoy) and Aidan Gillen (Petyr 'Littlefinger' Baelish) - 28/45 episodes

Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Conleth Hill (Varys) and Rory McCann (Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane) - 27/45 episodes

Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon) - 26/45 episodes

So there you have it! Peter jumps ahead of Lena. Emilia and Kit remain neck-and-neck! Sophie jumps ahead of Maisie! John evens out with Nikolaj and Alfie shares the same place as Aidan once again. Michelle Fairley and Isaac Hempstead-Wright are officially out of the Top 10. IHW can maybe crawl back in again next season and who knows...we can all hold out hope for the former (wishful thinking, I know)!

1. Julian Glover (Pycelle) - 26/44 episodes

2. Ian McElhinney (Barristan Selmy) - 25/44 episodes

Mark Stanley (Grenn) - 22/44 episodes

Ben Crompton (Eddison 'Dolorous Edd' Tollett) and Kristian Nairn (Walder 'Hodor') - 21/44 episodes

Daniel Portman (Podrick 'Pod' Payne) - 20/44 episodes

Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell ) - 17/44 episodes

Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm) and Ian Beattie (Meryn Trant) - 16/44 episodes

Dominic Carter (Janos Slynt) - 15/44 episodes

Esmé Bianco (Ros), Donald Sumpter (Luwin) and Natalia Tena (Osha) - 14/44 episodes

Amrita Acharia (Irri), Josef Altin (Pyp) and Owen Teale (Alliser Thorne) - 13/44 episodes

With guest actors jumping up and sharing positions, it leaves some extra room in the Top 10. Ben Crompton has now appeared in the same number of episodes as Kristian Nairn. :eek: Jacob Anderson and Ian Beattie now share the same position. A number 10 spot has opened up with Owen Teale playing the only surviving character in this three-joined position. Josef Altin shares this after being killed off at the end of last year and Amrita Acharia who played the missed (by me anyway) Irri shares this position after being absent since mid-Season 2.

I actually agree with this. I think we'll see Winterfell but not The Wall or Meereen. I also have a feeling we might not see Tyrion/Jorah next episode which would even Peter/Tyrion and Lena/Cersei out again in terms of episode count.

Jorah and Tyrion are mentioned in the synopsis for episode 506. So yeah, I stick to my call of Tyrion and Sansa being the only two characters to make the 9 this year.

Again, thank you and kuddos for updating the lists and keeping count of them all ! Great work !

And I'm glad to see my favourite minor character so high on the guest lists ! Go Dolorous Edd !

Jorah and Tyrion are mentioned in the synopsis for episode 506. So yeah, I stick to my call of Tyrion and Sansa being the only two characters to make the 9 this year.

Again, thank you and kuddos for updating the lists and keeping count of them all ! Great work !

And I'm glad to see my favourite minor character so high on the guest lists ! Go Dolorous Edd !

Why can't Sansa be in all 10 episodes? She is confirmed in episodes 6, 7 and 8... and we know that Stannis will be in 9 and 10 (possibly around Winterfell).

Because we know so little about 510 yet that I dont try to bet on what will happen in it (other than the Walk and Winter over the capital I'd say).

So, the resolution inside Winterfell could very well end on some massive wtf game-changer in 509 and then in 510 we dont hear from them again, only Stannis approaching the castle...

Archived