HBO's "The Leftovers"

Khal-a-bunga

• 1 month later...

ive got it set to dvr going to give it a try.
but if me no like it will get cut from my dvr list quick.
the trailers just dont look like my kinda thing. but i have been watching resurrection and for me its alrite so far.
but this is the oppsite of that show were dead folks or the returned as they dub them keep coming back from the dead.
in the left overs a bunch of people just vanish and everyone is left to there own threios as to why?
doesnt sound interesting to me but im going to try.

think I'll lay put this one in the forum's hands. Will check in to see how folk feel about the first episode and decide whether to bother.

I have to be careful in the summer as I often wind up watching all the crap that is aired rather than catch up on the decent stuff i missed over the rest of the year. 9 times out of 10 the summer programming would be out-competed by the winter proramming. Defiance, Falling skies, Under the dome are all guilty of this and the trailer suggests "leftovers" may be the same. At least they are being honest with the naming.

But there's Ecclestone and Tyler involved.

I loved the last season of LOST. As a matter of fact, that show is my all time favorite drama series on network television. I also really enjoyed the movie Prometheus. David Lindelhoff has done no wrong in my eyes. I can not wait for this show. It looks like it is going to be fantastic.

I finished the book about a week or so ago, I really liked it. Lays out a basis for a strong first season but ends very abruptly so any potential second season will be making stuff up as it goes, which I also like the idea of, as I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending.

I loved the last season of LOST. As a matter of fact, that show is my all time favorite drama series on network television. I also really enjoyed the movie Prometheus. David Lindelhoff has done no wrong in my eyes. I can not wait for this show. It looks like it is going to be fantastic.

I'd agree if that was all said with sarcasm.

I finished the book about a week or so ago, I really liked it. Lays out a basis for a strong first season but ends very abruptly so any potential second season will be making stuff up as it goes, which I also like the idea of, as I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending.

The making things up + the "lost" showrunner is where i start to worry. Is the book done or are there more to come? Maybe the author has plans in place.

The making things up + the "lost" showrunner is where i start to worry. Is the book done or are there more to come? Maybe the author has plans in place.

As far as I know it was a standalone.

And I know I'm in the minority but I was completely satisfied with how Lost ended.

As far as I know it was a standalone.

And I know I'm in the minority but I was completely satisfied with how Lost ended.

I don't know if you're in the minority, but I enjoyed it a lot too. What bothers me is that people use Lost and Prometheus as a stick to put down Lindelof. And sometimes it ends up being people who haven't even seen the show but just say ' oh yes, that show with the crap ending'

I didn't like the ending much but I hate basing the future of the leftovers on Lost. It's entirely possible ( and probable) that he learned from that experience and after being ripped to shreds by the media and fans alike, I don't think he will want to do that again. I'm sure he has this planned out completely unlike Lost was. Regardless, looks atmospheric and I love that plus Sepinwall said its strange but he's in love with what he saw and I tend to trust his opinion since it mirrors my own on most shows.

The main thing to bear in mind about The Leftovers is that the Rapture-like disappearance will never be a mystery that exists to be solved. It's a bit of magic realism that makes the story possible (or, more cruedly, it's a MacGuffin.)

The show's got relatively little to do with Lost, in that respect. I'm guessing its main similarities will be in focusing on difficult or broken relationships between characters, with flashes into the past at or before the disappearances.

The main thing to bear in mind about The Leftovers is that the Rapture-like disappearance will never be a mystery that exists to be solved. It's a bit of magic realism that makes the story possible (or, more cruedly, it's a MacGuffin.)

The show's got relatively little to do with Lost, in that respect. I'm guessing its main similarities will be in focusing on difficult or broken relationships between characters, with flashes into the past at or before the disappearances.

Let's just hope there isn't a storyline trying to work out where they all went.

For the record, I loved "lost" until the end. The drama was great but the pulling mysteries out their ass - some of which they didn't bother resolving not to mention what the split narrative was about in that final season definitely soured the whole thing for me. Prometheus was an entertaining mess but I'm not sure that can be all pinned on Lindelof as a lot can happen from script to screen in a movie.

Archived