HBO's "The Leftovers"

Khal-a-bunga

The Lost ending was great. Too many people simply misunderstand it. The split narative was completely explained in the final episode and it is beyond clear that they were not dead the whole time. Damon takes way to much heat for what was a great and captivating episode of a great and captivating show.

The entire theme of the book (and I hope the show) is right there in the title. The Leftovers. It was about how the different people dealt with loss. I have high hopes because it was one of the best books I've read in quite awhile.

The Lost ending was great. Too many people simply misunderstand it. The split narative was completely explained in the final episode and it is beyond clear that they were not dead the whole time. Damon takes way to much heat for what was a great and captivating episode of a great and captivating show.

how Lost should have ended

I'm in so long as it's not the actual Rapture with only Christians disappearing.

That would seem kind of cliched as there strangely seems to a good bit of post-Rapture stuff trickling out.

I'm in so long as it's not the actual Rapture with only Christians disappearing.

That would seem kind of cliched as there strangely seems to a good bit of post-Rapture stuff trickling out.

Actually, wouldn't that be far more interesting? In a split second, all righteous Christians are yanked up into Heaven. The American military is decimated - as those good, conservative Christians willing to travel abroad to shoot brown people are basically 21st century Crusaders anyway, amirite?! Now, a defenseless America has to contend with the terrifying prospect of a world ruled by brown and yellow people. Warships from the Republic of India land in Virginia. Warships from the People's Republic of China land in California. Invading forces swarm into the heartland. America is the battleground. Who will win?! WHO WILL SURVIVE?!

**Edited to add: the name of this show is also terrible. Every time I see this thread, I think of day-old meatloaf.

Well, the Pope is one of the "celebrities" who disappears. But so are Shaq, Adam Sandler, and Gary Busey.

While I don't think a solve-the-mystery premise would be very interesting for the show, I would like to see how they come to the conclusion that this is a Christian / Biblical rapture as opposed to alien abduction or something out of Egyptian mythology. Are there other phenomena that tie this event to a Christian explanation?

I keep seeing previews for this show and the more they show them the less I get interested. I will probably give it a couple episodes once it's out, but I don't have very high hopes for it. The plot seems kinda stupid, but it can be pulled off if they have the right character progression.

While I don't think a solve-the-mystery premise would be very interesting for the show, I would like to see how they come to the conclusion that this is a Christian / Biblical rapture as opposed to alien abduction or something out of Egyptian mythology. Are there other phenomena that tie this event to a Christian explanation?

They don't come to that conclusion. The disappearance is just the plot starter. The book is about how people deal with what happened and try to regain any sense of normalcy in their lives.

One of the main characters is a former pastor who goes kind of crazy to prove it wasn't the Rapture by digging up as much dirt as possible on the people who disappeared in that town, to show they were sinners too.

They don't come to that conclusion. The disappearance is just the plot starter. The book is about how people deal with what happened and try to regain any sense of normalcy in their lives.

One of the main characters is a former pastor who goes kind of crazy to prove it wasn't the Rapture by digging up as much dirt as possible on the people who disappeared in that town, to show they were sinners too.

Ah ok thanks. I think I've seen the word 'Rapture' associated with the show so much that I assumed it was an official explanation in the story.

Ah ok thanks. I think I've seen the word 'Rapture' associated with the show so much that I assumed it was an official explanation in the story.

Yeah, it's bound to happen with it being a rapture-like phenomenon. The book treats the event as no more than plot direction really: "what would it be like three years after this happened, for the world but more specifically this family."

Sepinwall and Greenwald both reviewed The Leftovers and both seemed to really enjoy it though I think it took longer for Greenwald than Sepinwall. Both suggested the tone of the show is very bleak and while I don't necessarily need another depressing show, I'm a huge fan of atmospheric dramas with a somewhat melancholy tone. I'm looking forward to this.

i liked it a lot.

sure it was just the first episode. and yeah i had a nice bottle of bourbon being poured liberally while viewing. but, i still liked it a lot.

so many thoughts came to mind. 2% of people vanished. where does life sit? what of our ideas of society, mortality, religion, existence, etc. three years later and just going back to business? not likely.

yeah. i liked it. i hope it keeps up the good work. i never need to know the truth of it all. just seeing how everyone adapts and gets through life after this event will be interesting and fun.

David Lindelhoff is brilliant... Oh, so you don't like the answers we gave you to mysteries on LOST? Here is an entire show that will truly have unanswered mysteries and that is what will make it great. I couldn't have asked for a better pilot. The anthropologist/sociologist in me is running wild with glee right now.

Archived