Use of Humor in Sci-fi/Fantasy

Howdyphillip

I just posted in the thread dedicated to works that have held up well for the time and I was reminded of a couple of authors that have done a fantastic job in using humor in their books. Both Robin Lynn Aspirin, and Harry Harrison, who wrote the Myth Adventures and Stainless Steel Rat series respectively, included a lot of really funny stuff in their writings. A more recent example is Scott Lynch in the Gentleman Bastards series.

I personally think that if a work does not include just a little amount of humor, it seriously takes away from the story. What other authors are doing well in this department?

I am kinda confused. Are we looking for books that focus on comedy first and foremost a la Adams, Prachett, and Moore? Or more serious books with humor laced through them?

If we're looking for books that focus on comedy, you can't get around Douglas Adams. I think no author ever has made me laugh as much as he did.

If we're looking for more serious books, which have very funny things in it: Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chonicle's. I laughed so hard when Kvothe jumped from the tower or when Elodin burned Hemme's things. :lmao:

I am kinda confused. Are we looking for books that focus on comedy first and foremost a la Adams, Prachett, and Moore? Or more serious books with humor laced through them?

I would guess the latter.

Abercrombie wins this for me, hands down.

Malazan (a bit).

I've read four Malazan books and I can still count on both hands how many times I've laughed, total. Maybe not my style of humor.

Perhaps they are just fresh on my mind but the funniest non-comedies coming to mind would be Wooding's Kitty Jay books, or the Bujold books REG already mentioned.

the funniest non-comedies ... the Bujold books REG already mentioned.

A Civil Campaign is styled "A comedy of biology and manners" on the title page, even. Such a good book.

In a similar vein, though a vastly different setting, is Steven Brust's Taltos series - and the prequel Khaavren Romances which are pretty much flat-out comedy. Taltos, like Vorkosigan, is a series of short, super-fun adventures with hilarious characters who get into terrible, even tragic situations; think Tyrion Lannister playing Craig's James Bond. The Khaavren books, on the other hand, are an entirely serious fantasy adventure told in the most absurd manner possible.

The Gone-Away World is a great book that does not get enough recognition, and it's very funny in both what is said, and what is actually happening, despite not being a comedy at all.

I'm thirding A Civil Campaign for SF, it's great fun.

Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books can be very funny at times.

Just finished Ian Banks’s Use of Weapons, which has a great, laughing-out-loud joke.

Are you thinking of the bit where

Zakalwe is recovering after having his head chopped off and Skaffen-Amitsaw visits him and offers him a hat as a present? I remember finding that amusing at the time.

If we're looking for more serious books, which have very funny things in it: Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chonicle's. I laughed so hard when Kvothe jumped from the tower or when Elodin burned Hemme's things. :lmao:

I think it's Elodin's reaction to it that's the best bit.

I'm thirding A Civil Campaign for SF, it's great fun.

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance was also very amusing, although the plot isn't as good as A Civil Campaign.

Aaron Allston always makes me laugh. I've read some of his Star Wars books, and they're riddled with laugh-out-loud moments (his X-Wing books specifically). He passed recently, sadly.

As others have said, Abercrombie and Rothfuss are always good for a laugh as well.

Well, in that case, as I have an exceptionally dark sense of humor, I've actually laughed at some rather grim moments in fiction that were supposed to be serious, so I'm not exactly sure if I should list everything that's made me chuckle.

Aaron Allston always makes me laugh. I've read some of his Star Wars books, and they're riddled with laugh-out-loud moments (his X-Wing books specifically). He passed recently, sadly.

As others have said, Abercrombie and Rothfuss are always good for a laugh as well.

Yub yub!

(I agree)

Archived