The Controversial Sansa Chapter

benalapin

So I just read a theory on Reddit which I think deserves a place in the Compendium: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/252ypn/spoilers_all_gold_and_boys_and_killing_what_will/

First read it.

Done? Okay, good.

Some of the commenters have linked it to the "Sansa slaying a giant in a castle made of snow" theory. Basically, since the theory posits that LF doesn't actually want her to be with Hardyng because he wants her for himself, and he hasn't forced himself upon her because she is a valuable bargaining chip and her maidenhead needs to remain intact, it would make sense that once Robb's will is declared and LF finds she has been disinherited from her claim to the North, he'll try to force himself upon her because she has no political value anymore and no one will care for her maidenhead. But she kills him, hence slaying the giant of prophecy.

What do you think?

The worst piece of fanfic s**t I have ever read. And that speaks volumes.

I read this last night. As disgusting as it is, it's plausible, but god I hope that doesn't happen. I'd actually be sad if this is Robert's fate.

Plausible? Based on what?

Not the wedding scenario, but Lyn pulling off something like that. I see the Lords Declerant defeating LittleFinger as far more likely to happen.

You mean Lyn being the pedophile? For as I have read, Robert would be molested by Lyn. So, what is this based on?

Dumb question, but why would the Giant in the prophecy be Littlefinger, though?

Some sort of irony because "little" and "giant"?

Because House Baelish's sigil is Titan of Braavos, and in one Bran's chapters in AGOT, he saw a shadow of a giant behind his father and his sisters. Given that Baelish betrayed Ned and is interested in Sansa, many assume he is the giant Sansa will slay.

Not as disgusting as Jojen paste, but still pretty fucked up.

I'm pretty sure this is going to happen. This is standard GRRM writing, setting up two possible scenarios and then having a third that was under your nose the whole time happen. Lyn has been getting increasingly mentioned through all five books even though his only role so far has been to be a creep, this would finally explain what he is there for. And obviously Harry is going to go soon, this seems like a good time for it to happen. I don't want to say I like this scenario, but it is a good twist.

I'd actually be sad if this is Robert's fate.

I wonder, is it better to see him eventually getting poisoned by sweetsleep because of LF, or being molested by Lyn Corbray?

Dumb question, but why would the Giant in the prophecy be Littlefinger, though?

Some sort of irony because "little" and "giant"?

Well, if you look at the symbolism surrounding supposedly "little" people, you'll find that the word giant is often used to describe them. Tyrion has a large shadow, and Shae used to call him a giant. This metaphorical use of giant is obviously not referring to his size, it is referring to his ability to handle power. And who else is incredible at handling power? Littlefinger! He may be a small man, but he is the person that caused the entire Wot5k inadvertently. If not a giant, then what is he?

You mean Lyn being the pedophile? For as I have read, Robert would be molested by Lyn. So, what is this based on?

Well, the poster did remind us that Lyn's into "gold and boys and killing" and even in AGOT Cat thinks about the rumours about him being into boys. I initially thought that meant teenagers, because 14/15 year olds like Jon and Robb are also called boys. But if it means he's a paedophile, then who is the only boy of note in the Eyrie? Robert. Plus it would be totally GRRM-like to do such a twist. Remember, Elio is the one who called this chapter controversial, one of the most well-versed people in ASOIAFology. ASOIAF is full of controversial things, and if Elio calls a certain chapter controversial, it means a lot.

Lyn being a pedo if that's even true. Though he'd screw himself if he tried something with Robin. If your asking for evidence, then there is none.

Exactly my point...

Well, the poster did remind us that Lyn's into "gold and boys and killing" and even in AGOT Cat thinks about the rumours about him being into boys. I initially thought that meant teenagers, because 14/15 year olds like Jon and Robb are also called boys. But if it means he's a paedophile, then who is the only boy of note in the Eyrie? Robert. Plus it would be totally GRRM-like to do such a twist. Remember, Elio is the one who called this chapter controversial, one of the most well-versed people in ASOIAFology. ASOIAF is full of controversial things, and if Elio calls a certain chapter controversial, it means a lot.

Catelyn never said that. She specifically said:

Ser Lyn was a different sort of folly; lean and handsome, heir to an ancient but impoverished house, but vain, reckless, hot-tempered... and, it was whispered, notoriously uninterested in the intimate charms of women.

Which doesn't make him pedophile, if I know what the terms mean.

As for what Ran said, he actually said "that some quarters of fandom would find the chapter controversial" Some, not all. I assume that we would all find child molestation controversial. And thank you for explaining me the importance of what Ran says. I would have no idea...

As for what Ran said, he actually said "that some quarters of fandom would find the chapter controversial" Some, not all. I assume that we would all find child molestation controversial. And thank you for explaining me the importance of what Ran says. I would have no idea...

I agree with you Mladen.

Am I dreaming or do I remember a SSM/interview that said he would not write a rape scene with a POV character? I'll try to look for it...

It's a good theory and yes, it would be right with Martin's "style" (the third option right under our noses - how often he does that!) but I think this is not a good option. I've always believed that Sansa will kill, or help assassinate, LF due to Bran's dream and the imagery when she builds the castle of snow in the Vale. I'll have to go back and reread this chapter (I'm rereading AFFC now actually) but I think what's going on here is part of the unreliable narrator issue. Has LF ever seen Corbray have sex with a young boy? Probably not. It's hearsay, about someone who LF is competing with for power. Would he say the same about the Blackfish? Never married, no bastards.... It's just gossip.

I agree with you Mladen.

Am I dreaming or do I remember a SSM/interview that said he would not write a rape scene with a POV character? I'll try to look for it...

But Sweetrobin is not a POV character though. And who says the scene has to be explicitly written. It could be implied since this is something that won't be happening to the POV character, f*cked up as it is

Wasn't there an quick interview with GRRM where he stated that it may be controversial to some and then again it may not be controversial.. It all depends on how the person reads it..??

If I remember, isn't LF beginning to drink more and more again? And wasn't the last time he drank heavily he ended up having sex again with Lyra? If that is stating correctly he might try something with Sansa?

Because House Baelish's sigil is Titan of Braavos, and in one Bran's chapters in AGOT, he saw a shadow of a giant behind his father and his sisters. Given that Baelish betrayed Ned and is interested in Sansa, many assume he is the giant Sansa will slay.

Oh...I didn't know that their sigil was the Titan of Braavos. I should really pay more attention. Thanks!!

Well, if you look at the symbolism surrounding supposedly "little" people, you'll find that the word giant is often used to describe them. Tyrion has a large shadow, and Shae used to call him a giant. This metaphorical use of giant is obviously not referring to his size, it is referring to his ability to handle power. And who else is incredible at handling power? Littlefinger! He may be a small man, but he is the person that caused the entire Wot5k inadvertently. If not a giant, then what is he?

Ah no, I didn't literally mean Littlefinger's size, I just mean the "little" part of "Littlefinger." :P But I like your explanation too.

But anyway, with that, I wouldn't say Sansa killing Littlefinger because he makes a move on her wouldn't be the controversial part (since literally worse has happened). I have no idea what the controversial chapter might contain, but I'm leaning towards it concerning Robert. Though that might just be out of a hope that Littlefinger doesn't touch Sansa...

Archived