Lady Stoneheart: To catch a Lannister

Wmarshal

How does that make Lady Stoneheart right? She's just asking someone else to break guest right for her, like Tywin Lannister.

She's already broken guest right and is committing the same crimes that were committed against her. All she needs to do now is push Tommen of a building.

This is a tough one. In a coffee-infused sleepless night I once proposed that Stoneheart marry Jaime, 98% jokingly, 2% with a little thought. But at the very core of that is the notion that Jaime has value as a highborn, and (disputed) lord of Casterly Rock. If my Lady will do anything, she might consider this. As much as I want Jaime to hang, there's that to consider.

If she just kills him, the best way might be some Fabian tactics in the westerlands, just as those dirty lions did in the Riverlands.

How does that make Lady Stoneheart right? She's just asking someone else to break guest right for her, like Tywin Lannister.

No more miss nice girl. They won't play by the rules, she no longer needs to.

Not true.

You are incorrect. Brienne, Pod, and Hyle ate at the Crossroad Inn. They were taken prisoner there. The BWB didn't even deny that guest right had been broken. They just said that it didn't mean what it used to.

"Bread and salt," Brienne gasped. "The inn . . . Septon Meribald fed the children . . . we broke bread with your sister . . ."

"Guest right don't mean so much as it used to," said the girl. "Not since m'lady come back from the wedding. Some o' them swinging down by the river figured they was guests too." -AFFC

You are incorrect. Brienne, Pod, and Hyle ate that the Crossroad Inn. They were taken prisoner there. The BWB didn't even deny that guest right had been broken. They just said that it didn't mean what it used to.

By saying it didn't mean what it used to they were denying/forsaking the custom. Besides, my Lady was not staying at the Inn, therefore even if she were practicing guest right Brienne did not have it.

I don't recall...were the BWB the hosts of the crossroads inn?

They seem to be involved somehow, but I'd say Meribald and Gendry are the hosts. Stoneheart seems to be staying in Hollow Hill.

SaphLion, that quote above shows that Brienne assumed guest right, since before the Freys it was custom. But after the Red Wedding nothing is certain anymore, and Jeyne isn't the only one to point that out. Oh and you forgot the next part where the new Hound (Lem) tells her specifically that they don't consider people "guests" anymore.

"We figured different," the Hound said. "They wanted beds. We gave 'em trees."

I don't recall...were the BWB the hosts of the crossroads inn?

The kids and the BWB are allied. The BWB is using the Inn as a base. They have men positioned there on a regular basis. They have killed many people who have staid at the Inn. There was blood on the Inn's floor where people who ate their had been killed. There were people who were hanged on near by trees who ate there too.

By saying it didn't mean what it used to they were denying/forsaking the custom. Besides, my Lady was not staying at the Inn, therefore even if she were practicing guest right Brienne did not have it.

Oh please, it couldn’t be plainer in the text. They are forsaking the custom. GRRM made a point of emphasizing the fact.

Your Lady’s “kids”, who are allied with the BWB and under the protection of BWB were at the Inn. They were the lure. The Inn is a base for the BWB. In fact, the BWB has men position there (Gendry, Lem).

BTW, Tywin Lannester was not staying with the Freys when the RW happened. He must be completely innocent of breaking guest right too.

Attacking Daven's wedding wouldn't be breaking guest right, regardless of whether the BwB has broken it previously. They would be neither guest nor host, they'd simply be soldiers attacking a big fat target.

Which is why I stated that that's what I'd do in response to the OP.

They are all together. There was blood on the Inn's floor where people who ate their had been killed, and people who were hanged on near by trees who ate there.

Oh please, it couldn’t be plainer in the text. They are forsaking the custom. GRRM made a point of emphasizing the fact.

Your Lady’s “kids”, who are allied with the BWB and under the protection of BWB were at the Inn. They were the lure. The Inn is a base for the BWB. In fact, the BWB has men position there (Gendry, Lem).

BTW, Tywin Lannester was not staying with the Frey’s when the RW happened. He must be completely innocent of breaking quest right too.

Yes they are forsaking the custom. And they're totally like the first ones, right? No. It's been pointed out elsewhere in the text, the Red Wedding did nearly irreparable damage to the custom. Just look at Manderly. He may follow through with the "parting gift" aspect of guest right, but it was his intention from the start to kill those Freys.

Tywin was responsible for organizing and starting it. It was the Freys themselves that broke it. Tywin is still reprehensible in this instance, but the "stain" of breaking guest right falls on the Freys.

My Lady made no promise of guest right, nor did Gendry or Meribald or anyone at the Inn. They've forsaken it. Will that bring them trouble? Depends on how superstitious you are on the matter. I'm not. So I understand completely why the new and improved Brotherhood is going along with Catelyn in disregarding it. After a throat-slashing and downriver float, I'm sure my Lady is all out of fucks to give.

Yes they are forsaking the custom. And they're totally like the first ones, right? No. It's been pointed out elsewhere in the text, the Red Wedding did nearly irreparable damage to the custom. Just look at Manderly. He may follow through with the "parting gift" aspect of guest right, but it was his intention from the start to kill those Freys.

Tywin was responsible for organizing and starting it. It was the Freys themselves that broke it. Tywin is still reprehensible in this instance, but the "stain" of breaking guest right falls on the Freys.

My Lady made no promise of guest right, nor did Gendry or Meribald or anyone at the Inn. They've forsaken it. Will that bring them trouble? Depends on how superstitious you are on the matter. I'm not. So I understand completely why the new and improved Brotherhood is going along with Catelyn in disregarding it. After a throat-slashing and downriver float, I'm sure my Lady is all out of fucks to give.

Was he? I thought it was Lame Lothar, Walder, and Roose who did most of the planning and Tywin just gave the go ahead and promised they wouldn't be punished.

Was he? I thought it was Lame Lothar, Walder, and Roose who did most of the planning and Tywin just gave the go ahead and promised they wouldn't be punished.

Meh, bad wording. You're right. He was one of the architects, but not a hands-on one like those three, and the promise of protection is itself an endorsement of disregarding guest right, so one still might say he broke it.

BTW, Tywin Lannester was not staying with the Freys when the RW happened. He must be completely innocent of breaking guest right too.

Well, he is innocent. They weren't under his roof when it happened. He might have asked Walder Frey to help kill Robb but Walder could have said no or replied with evasions like Wyman Manderly did.

They seem to be involved somehow, but I'd say Meribald and Gendry are the hosts. Stoneheart seems to be staying in Hollow Hill.

SaphLion, that quote above shows that Brienne assumed guest right, since before the Freys it was custom. But after the Red Wedding nothing is certain anymore, and Jeyne isn't the only one to point that out. Oh and you forgot the next part where the new Hound (Lem) tells her specifically that they don't consider people "guests" anymore.

"We figured different," the Hound said. "They wanted beds. We gave 'em trees."

Oh, so you can decide who you consider a guest. By that logic, Walder Frey had the right not to consider the Starks guests because they broke their vow to him.

ETA: After the King in the North broke his oath, nothing was certain anymore. Can anyone really blame House Frey? They were owed vengeance.

Well, he is innocent. They weren't under his roof when it happened. He might have asked Walder Frey to help kill Robb but Walder could have said no or replied with evasions like Wyman Manderly did.

So if you bribe someone to do something, you are innocent as long as you didn’t do it yourself, even if you engineered the whole scheme. Really?

Archived