Cycling - la vuelta, a broken leg won't stop alberto!

BigFatCoward

What a sad finish to a lovely day. Yorkshire did look lovely. Hilly though!

Indeed on both counts. I seriously hope it is just a bruising for Cav and nothing more serious; and as for Yorkshire, it is indeed lovely; you should come and visit us one day.

Tomorrow is going to be one for the climbers, with 9 categorised climbs

Leap - are you watching right at the end of the stage, or you watching from Jenkin Road? JR is going to be a brutal climb to finish and should be a brill place to watch from if you can get on to it.

For my part, I'm volunteering and am completely buzzed about it. Gonna be great! I do wish I'd managed to get assigned to Holme Moss, but I'm in the sector just before it, but it's going to be a great day regardless. :D

Awww the jammy git! He's going to have a fab time up top o' Holme Moss.

Heading out early has it's pros and cons. Cons, yeah, you're heading out way early, miss Wimbledon and have a lot of waiting. Pros is you get a better spot, you get to steal freebies from little children when the caravan goes through, and if it's anything like it was today, get to soak up the atmosphere.

But seriously, TdF, Wimbledon final AND Silverstone Grand Prix all on the same day!

There goes Talansky's gc. Down nearly 5 minutes.

The Tour website has Talansky on the same time as Kittel, albeit placed last of all those on +0. Presumably whatever happened to him was within the last 3km.

Yep. Flat on the last 3 of a "flat" stage. It did take quite some time for the website to get sorted though.

Was surprised to see Froome up near the front at the end.

See on twitter that Cav is apologising to Ger.

I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow, as the tour comes through Keighley tomorrow and I was thinking of wandering down to watch, don't look forward to the walk back up home through.

This one looked like fun on TV. The kinds of crowds you'd see at the top of an HC climb packed onto... Buttertubs? I love that name. Looked like gorgeous weather and a great time for all. I hope you all who will be there tomorrow get to see something awesome.

Man it was hot hot hot down in the valley, which didn't help the walk up home much but hey at least no rain.

Stuck around long enough to see the sprinters, the main pack and a few of the chasers, managed to find a good spot by Keighley library where most people where short so I just towered over them and had a good view.

Shaping up to be a huge Tour.

Even for American viewers, this is the first time in years that they have two young guys who can legitimately challenge for a top 5 spot in Talansky and van Garderen.

Rui Costa finally amassing all his skills to do a Grand Tour. Contador, Froome, Valverde and Nibali all looking into shape at the start of the Tour.

It's nice they threw some climbs in on the second day. Nice to break up the monotony of a first week full of breakaway -> catch at 20km (or whatever) -> sprint finish. A sprint is exciting, but five days of the same four guys until they hit the Alps is kind of not.

OK, Cote de Blubberhouses might beat Buttertubs.

Really, really impressed by the crowds. I guess it helps that they're passing through an entirely new place for the Tour on a weekend as well, but still. They've made quite a spectacle for television. Felt kind of bad for one poor guy who looked like he got his phone slapped to the road by a Garmin rider. Then again, maybe he should have backed up?

Archived