Cycling - la vuelta, a broken leg won't stop alberto!

BigFatCoward

It was indeed an exciting little uphill finish.

Interesting to see that all of the great contenders finished in that first group, with a few others at 7 seconds ( including Valverde). Contador, presumably very vulnerable right now, did manage to hang onto the first group and not lose a second here, this could be encouraging for him.

I don't understand why these are so short. Why not make the team time trial a decent length?

because a strong/weak team shouldn't have too big an impact on a notionally individual sport.

Loving Dan Martin this Tour. He's really in the mix, and in stages I didn't expect.

not any more, cracked like a mofo.

so contador is superhuman afterall, wasn't expecting to see valverde that good to be honest, but still looks very open. not really a quintana type of stage and he normally comes good in the 3rd week of grand tours, froome looked ok, not awesome, the heat needs to come right down to suite him.

Loving this Vuelta. This is the best line-up in a Grand Tour in the last 4 years, and amazingly, no one has crashed plus they are in good form.

I'm glad Contador looks proper. Rodriquez and Valverde also look as if they have genuine GC ambitions. Valverde is clearly better than he was in the Tour, that is clear.

chris froome just can't stay on his bike to save his life. but gets back and has a little dig at the end for 3 seconds.

sunday is the first proper mtf, a cat 2 and a cat 1 in the final 25km. i don't have a clue at the minute who is going to win this one, after sunday and the tt on tuesday it should become a bit clearer.

I was bored with the stage but didn't know everything was left till the last 3 km and that devilishly steep climb.

Fantastic comeback from Froome, I was lamenting that he just wasn't in shape when I saw him get dropped early on.

But he had his own tactic and it worked. Still a shame Quintana is out as I feel he was a top challenger here, but with Froome and Rodriquez, as well as Aru and Valverde in the mix, nothing is decided yet. Still odd that Froome had such a limited time trial performance though.

froome was awesome today, looks like the vuelta started a week early for him. contador didn't have to do anything and sticking with froome pretty much won him the vuelta. next years tour should be immense with those 2, nibali and quintana kicking shit out of each other (as long as they all stay on their bikes).

Which as experience shows, they never do at the same time.

Still, we take what we do get, and today's stage was great/ Valverde and Rodriquez, really great riders, but on the really long mountains they can never stay with in shape Contadors and Froomes and Nibalis.

Uran cracked completely today as well.

Archived