Which do you prefer GOT Books or Series?

Lady of the Falls

As someone who started reading GOT books after I started watching / enjoying the series I have to say, for me, the series has fallen off. Compared to the books IMO it's no contest. I wish the series had stayed truer to the books. The current season 4 is the worst for me, it's deviations have lost me. I know people say the books are always better but I didn't feel that way at first I thought both were good / interesting. Now not so much I think the producers are trying to set themselves apart from books little and it's not necessary. I was hoping they would just tell /bring the story to life on the screen. I understand a few changes that didn't matter because of time. Now though it's gotten to far of course for me. I'll still watch because I enjoy the books and like to put a face to the story book character, but I find myself not as excited as I was to see a new episode every week.

Someone is gonna tell you that this belongs in the TV show thread...

That being said, the TV show deviation from the books is a product of circumstances. It would so confusing and long for the TV show to follow the books exactly. It was easy in the 1st season, because most of characters were together geographically. Also, they didn't make the TV show for book readers. For non-book readers it would be soooo confusing.

I think the show is great, and is might impressive overall, but it can never compare to the books. That's just not possible IMO. Also, it's natural that that the show will begin to deviate from the books the more it goes on. It's the butterfly effect: smaller changes back in the earlier seasons creates a neccessity for larger changes in later seasons and vice versa. Also, the different formats (Books vs. TV Show) has different ways of telling a story.

And I agree that I can't bring forth the same amount of interest in each new episode. That said, I'm also becoming more and more wary of spoilers as the show closes in on the books.

It has to be the books. There is more detail, all the back stories and through the POVs you get inside the characters heads which is more interesting than just watching them. The show lost me as a viewer on the second episode of season 3. I thought the second series changed to much but thought I would still give the third series a chance. They have just changed to much now for them to even be compared. It's as GRRM says, they are two separate versions of the same story.

I was the same, watched s.1 then read the books, so I consider myself a show fan and I love the show, eyes glued to the screen every episode, but in the end the books are far better.

The extra bits in season 4 I see as ways to get Kit Harrington and Nikolaj Coster Waldau more screen time.

The show is awesome.

It's how I found the books.

I watched season 1 and 2 back to back in 2012. Then I heard they were books so I bought them all.

Actually got me back into reading after years with out bothering.

I love the books. They are utterly outstanding.

I'll always love the show, it's amazing and it introduced me to the books, but it's the books that I obsess over.

The show is awesome.

It's how I found the books.

I watched season 1 and 2 back to back in 2012. Then I heard they were books so I bought them all.

Actually got me back into reading after years with out bothering.

I love the books. They are utterly outstanding.

I'll always love the show, it's amazing and it introduced me to the books, but it's the books that I obsess over.

wow, same here saw 1&2 back to back and wanted more, so I to got them all, but the quality of the series is lagging now so i'm re-reading books which has been nice because there thing I didn't remember which has made it brand new at times.

Archived