Favorite female character?

Defeatarion

Arya - No comparison at all. This character is just so much fun to read about. I'm a little concerned about her overall fate in the story as it feels like she's going to be going out in a very violent, bloody way due to her being consumed by vengeance. Regardless of what her fate ends up being, she's still my favorite. I love her attitude, her intelligence, and her incredible ability to adapt to her situation while managing to find a way to get the upper hand. She's great.

Daenerys - I know Dany gets a lot of hate for not being the brilliant ruler many were hoping she'd be (or because she's "crazy" or 100 other reasons) but I still find the character to be fascinating. And it's difficult for me to not to root for her because of her (mostly) good intentions. It's harder to get behind some of her more extreme decisions she's made but at the same time her rationale often makes a lot of sense and is grounded in a clear sense of right and wrong. Whether her perception of right and wrong is actually grounded or not, I don't know. But it makes her interesting to me. Plus, dragons.

Sansa - I started out the series not caring for Sansa at all but she's really grown into one of my favorites. She's a very strong, intelligent young girl that has been through hell. Yet somehow she still manages to get up every morning and she still finds a way to be a proper lady.

Cersei - Cersei is a character that I both love and hate. She's such a terrible, paranoid, self-centered person that I have a lot of fun trying to figure out what completely batshat, insane, petty thing she'll do next. For that reason, I find her really interesting. She's not particularly likeable but it's fun seeing her attempts at playing the game of thrones blow up in her face in ways that she's completely unable to see in advance. Her chapters were some of my favorite parts of AFFC.

Daenerys is my favorite character. I really like all the "main" povs tbh, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Cat. I also like Cersei, Brienne, and Asha a lot too.

My favorite non-pov female character would probably be Missandei, love that girl.

Arya is one of my all time favorite characters. I started out liking her for her tomboyness and her willingness to associate with people lower than herself (like how she loved to talk to sellswords and servants). Plus I liked the little hints of darkness in AGOT and loved her and Jon's relationship. Unlike some other people I love Arya embracing her inner monster and her becoming a dark character. I find her transformation fascinating.

Asha - such a charismatic woman. I love everything.about Asha tbh.

Cat - a helluva mother who tried to do her best. She's a compicated woman and I love her for it.

Sansa - I really dislike(ed) Sansa whenever I re-read AGOT. But I like the character and her chapters in later books.

I love a lot of the non-pov women as well. Women like Mya Stone and Lady Smallwood.

Complicated.

Arya first. Then probably Ygritte and Wylla Manderly. MMR deserves a healthy does of respect as well.

Sansa could top my list in TWOW if she - and not Littlefinger - unleash the Knights of the Vale against the enemies of House Stark (bonus points if she sacrifices her important enemies to the Old Gods herself, as it corresponds to a Stark of Winterfell). But, as of right now, she's still a question mark.

I also wonder if Shireen will have a greater role in the future. Show!Shireen is great.

ETA: Asha is out of my list on a matter of principle: she's Ironborn.

brienne, dany, arya.

and the sand snakes because we need some serious diversity in westeros! seriously.

and i love to hate cersei.

eta:

omg, i forgot olenna. she's first on my list. that woman is fabulous.

Catelyn.

Few characters in the series are as sensible as her, and none bar Theon and Jaime are as well written.

I always said that the Wot5K need never have started and certainly wouldn't have ended so badly if boy kings would just listen to their mothers.

Originally I would have named someone from the more action-oriented flock of female Characters (Asha, the older Sandsnakes, Arya or Brienne...) but they turn up in larger Numbers than I find appropriate for the Setting, especially since their Share among the more prominent Characters seems confusingly high, while the great political Players are still very much male-dominated. Thus, I favor the Females who take Part in the literal Game of Thrones rather than Swordplay.

I think it's fine to prefer the political characters but I complained about this in another thread. Why can't a female character do both? Jon is able to know how to use Longclaw and still have many want him to be king. Stannis is a tested commander yet still is a political character. We hadn't seen Renly fight anyone but he knew how and he showed some political knowledge before he was killed. Hell, even Tyrion somehow survives on the battlefield but still has his mini Tywin mindset.

Visenya was a warrior but political and yet I see her classified as the warrior who wasn't into politics when I don't think the info we have supports that. I see more evidence for her than there are for Aegon and Rhaenys. Asha I would argue maybe is not vying for the iron throne but she still is playing the game in her ironborn court. She lost but she is still going to try to get a new kingsmoot. If Theon or Asha becomes a ruler at the end it would be because of her move. This can be very important in terms of the Iron Isles being subject to the Iron Throne or not in the end. Brienne is one of the very few women who will rule in her own right provided that she doesn't die.

Arya was never interested in politics but I wouldn't say it has anything to do with the fact that she uses a sword. She was the last in line to inherit, was the second daughter so marriage prospects were lower, and Ned told her she couldn't be on a council or an adviser. It could have been different if she had been raised in a position like Asha but we'll never know.

Nymeria Sand is going to get involved in the GoT. Doran sent her to be on the small council.

Anyways, to the topic my favorite is Arya. She's my favorite character in general.

Archived