am I the only one fearing that this series will end in a Targaryen revival?

Throck

Targaryen Restoration will happen at some point in the books. Aegon or Dany will eventually sit on throne. I'm not so sur that either will be sitting on the throne at the end though. Still, I'm expecting the Starks and Targs to be the biggest winners.

What? You've lost faith in House Baratheon, the villains of the series?

I personally cannot wait until Stannis overruns the Seven Kingdoms with his army of Human/Other crossbreeds to create a new dark age.

Not a Targ fan in general, prefer the Starks and Baratheons, but don't mind Daenerys too much, so if she wins I can stomach it, even if it is at Stannis' expense, still, the fact that the middle Baratheon gets written off the way he does, and that he's got Iron Bank backing (which is made a big deal of in the show) I reckon he'll go right to the very end, even if he doesn't win.

Hi all!

I am not a big Targaryen fan (nor Blackfyre even if my name suggests that) and having read some theories around I'm starting to fear (mora than I used to) that the song of ice and fire will end with a massive Targaryen revival, with dragons and Targs back in Westeros. Is there any possibility it won't end that way?

Also, if any Targ fan can explain me this obsession with them, I will be pleased :)

[sorry for the bad English]

Hi Julyaerys and welcome. I, like you, write bad English so I do not post often but I agree with you! What ever the author will do, I so hope Dany - if she ever goes to Westeros will go back to EK in her sandals and hopefully be a queen there with someone she loves. I think GRRM dragons is dull and boring, he is not a proper Dragonman :) Not sure if Jon lives to the end but I like to see the Sword Seat destroyed and someone of the Stark family leading a consul to reign over Westeros in peace and justice. I am naive, I know ;)

What? You've lost faith in House Baratheon, the villains of the series?

I personally cannot wait until Stannis overruns the Seven Kingdoms with his army of Human/Other crossbreeds to create a new dark age.

Oh, I'm sure those dastardly Baratheons will bring more ruin to Westeros before the series is over.

No doubt Night's King Stannis will massacre entire populations in the North and the Riverlands. For once he'll be winning. Sadly, it won't last. And when he dies, Westeros will celebrate the demise of the evil house.

I love my Starks. They need to be Kings/Queens in the North and Trident at the end. If not that, then the IT.

They and the Targaryens have always been the main families of the series. They're the only ones who really have "special" magical family traits, they're the ones with the proudest history and the suckiest current situation, and let's not forget the original title of the final book.

Whatever happens to the other families, and whatever the exact details, those two families are going to play the biggest role in the end.

Tragic? I'm sure Robert partied with the appropriate magnitude after heroically getting rid of the Targs. Jumped up, backwater valyrians, incestous, arrogant, usurpers of the old Kings, often murderous and frequently insane!

Supporting Aery's line is like supporting Joffrey spawn.

Of course Robert partied, but I'm cautious about using the word "heroic". You tend to forget Elia Martell and the children, probably the biggest victims of this war. Were they incestuous and arrogants? Usurpers? I don't see anything wrong with the kindest woman that probably ever existed and her two children. And by condoning their deaths, Robert doesn't get much respect, at least not from me. His line is certainly not better if It's established by the murder of children.

Oh, I'm sure those dastardly Baratheons will bring more ruin to Wetseros before the series is over.

No doubt Night's King Stannis will massacre entire populations in the North and the Riverlands. For once he'll be winning. Sadly, it won't last. And when he dies, Westeros will celebrate the demise of the evil house.

You're my favorite Baratheon fan, I'm glad you can recognize how horrible they are for Westerosi.

But I know you were joking and I don't think the House is evil I just despise practically the whole house and don't see how Westeros benefitted for having them as kings.

Of course Robert partied, but I'm cautious about using the word "heroic". You tend to forget Elia Martell and the children, probably the biggest victims of this war. Were they incestuous and arrogants? Usurpers? I don't see anything wrong with the kindest woman that probably ever existed and her two children. And by condoning their deaths, Robert doesn't get much respect, at least not from me. His line is certainly not better if It's established by the murder of children.

Elia was a Targ by marriage, not the same thing. The children were tragic, it would have been better to let them reach maturity so they could be killed with a clear conscience.

You're my favorite Baratheon fan, I'm glad you can recognize how horrible they are for Westerosi.

But I know you were joking and I don't think the House is evil I just despise practically the whole house and don't see how Westeros benefitted for having them as kings.

There was only one Baratheon King

Hi all!

I am not a big Targaryen fan (nor Blackfyre even if my name suggests that) and having read some theories around I'm starting to fear (mora than I used to) that the song of ice and fire will end with a massive Targaryen revival, with dragons and Targs back in Westeros. Is there any possibility it won't end that way?

Also, if any Targ fan can explain me this obsession with them, I will be pleased :)

[sorry for the bad English]

I really believe if asoiaf started when robert, Ned, Rhaegar, Oberyn and Jaime were kids. I think your perspective would be different.asit is the Starks are the heroes in the books and Dany is a 2nd hero and she cant have kids.

I like the Targs. Forget the bad apples. The Targs are a great family with a rich history, even if they are not the ruling house, i dont want them wiped out.

Let's put it that way:

If GRRM has big Balls, he will let the Others win. That Way, no one would argue, who deserves any Throne, and right now I don't see anyone of anything defeating the Others. Dragonglass is much too scarce as well as useless against their Zombie Army that grows with every Man and while zombies burn good, they massively outnumber the human Defenders. The only Dragons are adolescent and clearly untameable, animals who don't give a fuck. Massive Kudos to Martin, if the Ending of the Series is the Zombie Apocalypse.

However, With the Bittersweetness the Ending is perceived to have, I don't see a Targaryen Revival either. But I could see two Options - Dany finding Peace in the House in Braavos (which is kind of lame) or something I call a "Valyrian Revival". In my Head, that means Dany will kick some Ass around Westeros, but decide she doesn't give a fuck about that place she's never even been to and return to Slaver's Bay and Valyria, where she has a population that admires her first Hand as well as real emotional Investment. So to say, she gets her own Kingdom/Empire seated around Valyria. I could see that, especially, if that would give some sense to the whole Slaver's Bay Ordeal.

BUT

If one had to say, who deserves a Throne and be completely honest about it, while thinking about the best Choice to sit on the Throne in regards to the litle People in the Kingdom I'll go with the following Name and be completely serious about it:

Edmure Tully

Why? Because he is not a warlike man and he is trained in ruling AND is noted to be an excellent Choice to be Lord in Peacetime.

I'm hoping Gendry ends up King in the end, it would be rather unexpected and as one of Robert's oldest bastards, and him looking quite a bit like a young Robert and Renly there's a chance that people would support his non-claim if he ever came around to...you know, state a non-claim.

Doesn’t seem very likely right now, but tbh I think he's one of the best and least expected candidates. I think there's an SSM quote that whoever sits the throne in the end, would kind of be a surprise? Anyway. I'm not so certain that all that many Westerosis would actually flock to Dany's side (she's a woman, daughter of the Mad King, the IT was lost through conquest to house Baratheon; she grew up in Essos etc. etc. only pro is her dragons, unless she loses control of them.) I'm not sure about Aegon either, simply because it'd be difficult to prove his identity, and right now he does not have the manpower to truly conquer the 7K IMO.

So...I'm not sure really about a Targaryen revival. Didn't Jojen Reed say something ominous like "The wolves will rise again"?

I'd vote for Gendry/Sansa on the IT. Dany can have dragonstone, Meereen or Dorne, and Jon can have his Wall/Brandon's gift or a seat on the small council, or be...a sort of Ranger/Keeper of the Peace.

What I'm really hoping for actually is a Stark come back starring Jon and his bad-ass cousins, something like an Aegon and his sisters V.2. without the incest part where Jon is the military master mind (Aegon), Sansa the beautiful political master mind (Rhaenys) and Arya the dangerous, unpredictable, and dark warrior Princess (Visenya, obviously ;) ). The dragons get replaced with Ghost and Nymeria (+ her pack)...and perhaps a bird of prey would do nicely for the "little bird" Sansa? All Stark children are supposed to be skinchangers I think.

But yeah, all that without the sibling/cousin incest part where Arya and Sansa eventually get themselves a husband...Rickon is too young IMO to play an important role in such a scenario, and Bran will in my mind, always remain the invisible master puppeteer behind the scenes -- Eyes and Ears of the Conquerors...Voice of the Weirwood Trees, Personification of the Old Gods...etc. etc.

And before anyone asks about Jon and his vows... in this scenario, he'd be quite simply pissed when he 'wakes,' and would have the mindset to actually do something to avenge his family and unite the north in order to face the oncoming threat...that would mean reclaiming his seat as Lord Commander and subsequently throwing the neutrality of the Night’s Watch out of the window all for a “greater good” that would allow him to kill Freys and Boltons while uniting the North under the Direwolf banner (to back Rickon, or Sansa...) One can dream ;)

I am speaking from a non pro targaryen point of view when I say a member of House Targaryen will sit on the Iron Throne in the end. A member of House Targaryen or as most people believe a joint rule of House Targaryen and House Stark in the form of King Jon Snow (Stargaryen/targstark)

This is because House Targaryen is an original house from GRRM's mind. Houses Stark and Lannister were based on the Lancasters and Yorks. Basically in a sense they are not originals. They were based off something whereas Valyria and Targaryens were all from GRRM's own mind.

He created them, he moulded them to what they are now. He made them utter badasses. Why? what for? Why did he decide to Give Aegon the conqueror 3 dragons? If he wanted he could have Aegon conquer the kingdoms with his sheer military genius as if he was Julius Caesar or Alexander the great come again however his conquest would have taken much more time.

He created House Targaryen to be the super powers. Not only as a plot-point for the application of magic in terms of dragons (he could have just dragons appear on some island and someone somehow taming them) but for them being the game changers.

Therefore to put it in a simple way: House Targaryen is something original. Something GRRM has put a lot of detail into (Fire and Blood coming out after ASOIAF with all of House Targaryens history and many other books/World of ice and fire will have quite some detail about them as well and all those stories about Targaryen and short novels such as dunk and egg etc.) all this has been built and surrounded House Targaryen. Nothing has been Done for any other family. Not because they are short of special or anything but because GRRM is proud of house Targaryen. It is his creation and he will do it justice.

You can be certain a Targaryen will be sitting on the throne in the end as they were the creators.

I think the Targaryen dynasty will be restored, and yes, their dragons will be included. However, I think it would be a rebirth for the Targaryen dynasty with Jon as king, who is as much Stark as Targaryen. I think he will bring some much needed reforms to his house and the realm such as banning the incestuous marriages. It would be comparable to if Baelor Breakspear became king.

Jon is not going to be the king, fellas.

Actually evidence says otherwise. What is the point of Jon's secret royal heritage if it isn't going to be put into use?

Archived