[Book Spoilers] R+L=J and other theories on HBO V.2

Suzanna Stormborn

SO last night was the end of book 3!! What was that stuff between Mel and Selyse?

And I was wondering how Dany and Daario would start hooking up, she was so bossy with him lol, what a little dominatrix!!....wonder why they didnt show it, and only showed him walking out in the morning? And when he left she was already fully dressed and her hair was fixed, it didnt look as though she had just rolled out of bed with her lover, something was up with that.

Maybe Emilia Clarke has said she won't do any more nude/sex scenes? I was surprised we didn't get the action too.

Would be kinda like bolting the stable after the horses are gone :P

That scene with mel & Selyse. woa i think that just added weight to the Mel will burn Shireen theories. :/

Only death can pay for life, right? I wouldn't want to be in Jon's skin to wake up and find out the cost of his revival.

I'm just gonna stick my fingers in my ears in regards to that last comment Ygrain. lalallalala I can't hear you..... (They need a pouty emotiocon.)

I'll be so gutted if we get unJon, I really really really want him to just get better... God damn it! You wrecked my day man. :lol:

Yea I know, a bit late now but she has to be sick of seeing that really unflattering still of Drogo fucking her from behind. I mean its just horrible.

I'm just gonna stick my fingers in my ears in regards to that last comment Ygrain. lalallalala I can't hear you..... (They need a pouty emotiocon.)

I'll be so gutted if we get unJon, I really really really want him to just get better... God damn it! You wrecked my day man. :lol:

Yea I know, a bit late now but she has to be sick of seeing that really unflattering still of Drogo fucking her from behind. I mean its just horrible.

Woman :P

Agreed, that Drogo scene was plain horrible (and unnecessary).

I was surprised we didn't get the action too.

I liked that we finally got a woman clothed/man naked scene. And Dany did tell Daario to take off his clothes in the books. He's a regular next season, I'm sure there will be another scene or two!

Agreed, that Drogo scene was plain horrible (and unnecessary).

Horrible first night scene. The book scene was so different and so much better.

First R+L=J thread, I typed out some show scenes:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/107636-book-spoilers-rlj-and-other-theories-on-hbo/?p=5659178

Yes I agree, it was great to see Daenarys being so assertive. And I really liked seeing Michiel huisman taking his clothes off, mmmmmmm. So glad they re cast the other guy was really not to my tastes.

Lets raise a toast to more of that next season.

Hopefully, even though most Unsullied wouldn't care about some random guys they've never heard of before in some place they've never seen before. But then BAM! There's that guy that Jaqen changed to in season 2.

When I read that in the book, I read the description and did a double take. I thought "am I supposed to know this description?" Then I went to the Arya chapter in ACoK and yep, IT'S JAQEN, BITCHES!

Given the track record of the casting it will be some completely different actor who kills Pate.

Only death can pay for life, right? I wouldn't want to be in Jon's skin to wake up and find out the cost of his revival.

That part with Selyse and Melisandre gave me the creeps. At the same time it's another of those 'oh!' moments that really makes the ride worth while. In the R+L=J thread, we have often discussed the cultural and historical influences of ASoIaF. I believe that the saga, once divested of its fantasy/medieval element, is essentially and thematically a classical tragedy(-ies), with even a few classical historical references (last addendum, the parallel between Nymeria and Artemisia I, as depicted by the World Book's excerpt).

The series is even more 'classically explicit'. After last week's homage to Sophocles' Antigone (Hizdahr Zo Loraq's plea), confirmed by writer Bryan Cogman, Melisandre's "The Lord needs her" little monologue gives off very strong Iphigenia vibes (hello Euripides, father of all the modern tragic characters). Gods, it's really, really ominous :crying:

Maybe Emilia Clarke has said she won't do any more nude/sex scenes? I was surprised we didn't get the action too.

That scene with mel & Selyse. woa i think that just added weight to the Mel will burn Shireen theories. :/

I had heard that she stated in an interview that she will not.be doing anymore of them.

That part with Selyse and Melisandre gave me the creeps. At the same time it's another of those 'oh!' moments that really makes the ride worth while. In the R+L=J thread, we have often discussed the cultural and historical influences of ASoIaF. I believe that the saga, once divested of its fantasy/medieval element, is essentially and thematically a classical tragedy(-ies), with even a few classical historical references (last addendum, the parallel between Nymeria and Artemisia I, as depicted by the World Book's excerpt).

The series is even more 'classically explicit'. After last week's homage to Sophocles' Antigone (Hizdahr Zo Loraq's plea), confirmed by writer Bryan Cogman, Melisandre's "The Lord needs her" little monologue gives off very strong Iphigenia vibes (hello Euripides, father of all the modern tragic characters). Gods, it's really, really ominous :crying:

I didn't realize the Antigone parallel (mostly because Hizdahr lives - so far) and didn't watch the new episode yet, but I think you're going in the right direction with Iphigenia. :-(

Now, which other classic parallels might we see? Medea? We did see Cersei nearly killing Tommen...

ETA: Oh, and Phaedra with the false rape story causing the death of Hippolytos is the same motive as the tragedy of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Given the track record of the casting it will be some completely different actor who kills Pate.

Yes, I mean it must be so easy to cast over 200+ actors and make sure they aren't doing other stuff for 8 years straight.

Yes, I mean it must be so easy to cast over 200+ actors and make sure they aren't doing other stuff for 8 years straight.

They have the budget of a Hollywood movie. Spend 5 pence of that to legally bind the actors of secondary characters like the Mountain so they don't have to be recasted every season. Most actors do not earn millions they would happily agree on such terms. It's not a normal TV show were the writers come up with stuff as they like. They already know which characters will show up again. Staying with the mountain, to please the actor (and the audience) they could have give him more screen time. He is a major league bad-ass.

Things like Daario'a actor you cannot prevent without spending too much money. No actor would decline a lead role in new series.

To be honest if they want to bring back Tom Wlaschiha they probably could. There's plenty of precedent for actors disappearing for multiple seasons. Barristan Selmy and Janos Slynt disappeared for entire seasons, Alliser Thorne for two. If Illyrio returns with the same actor he'll have been gone for three seasons. I think they can get Tom back, especially if it's just for a cameo (Though personally I'd prefer he return as the Kindly Man.).

I'm still crossing my fingers for a Bloodraven/Bran/Theon-initiated resurrection instead.

There's definitely something up with Bran and Theon but do these things work over a distance?

There's definitely something up with Bran and Theon but do these things work over a distance?

Well, skinchanging seems to work over a distance if the person is powerful enough, and that's a First Men/Old God power. And some people have theorized that Lady's death is what woke Bran up (and that's certainly how the show depicted it). So I think it's possible.

I didn't realize the Antigone parallel (mostly because Hizdahr lives - so far) and didn't watch the new episode yet, but I think you're going in the right direction with Iphigenia. :-(

Now, which other classic parallels might we see? Medea? We did see Cersei nearly killing Tommen...

ETA: Oh, and Phaedra with the false rape story causing the death of Hippolytos is the same motive as the tragedy of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Enlightening parallel. It's even bolder in the books:

Your Robert got me with child once," she said, her voice thick with contempt. "My brother found a woman to cleanse me. He never knew.

Archived