The Flash - Don't Blink

BormonReborn

Trailer looks good and if they can do as good as job as they have with Arrow it'll be great fun. It also seems like MArvel/FOX are going to make speedsters popular in film over the next year so DC can cash in on the TV side.

The main problem with the Flash though is how do you keep it interesting? In essence he should be virtually unstoppable - unless his foes can slow him down. I think this will be harder to achieve in live-action as in the comics the static images help lend a sense of disbelief in terms of the speed issue.

The main problem with the Flash though is how do you keep it interesting? In essence he should be virtually unstoppable - unless his foes can slow him down. I think this will be harder to achieve in live-action as in the comics the static images help lend a sense of disbelief in terms of the speed issue.

This question occured to me when watching Quicksilver in the latest X-Men film. Given that this is written by the same people responsible for Arrow, I wouldn't rule out lots of plot-induced stupidity.

How do they keep Flash interesting in the comics?

Like I said, there's more suspension of disbelief in the comics due to things being static. I guess Captain Cold makes the floor slippy. The trickster probably makes it sticky/slippery. Zoom is as fast or can make Flash slower. Captain Boomerang, uh, takes the flash by surprise by hitting him on the back of the head when he seems to have missed? Realistically all of them except for Zoom should still be defeated by Flash beating them to the trigger. The show might get away with it if all the villains specifically come up with ways of tackling the Flash in particular. I'm sure they've had normal powered villains distract Flash by creating utter chaos over the city as even he can't be everywhere at once (close to though)

Trailer looks good and if they can do as good as job as they have with Arrow it'll be great fun. It also seems like MArvel/FOX are going to make speedsters popular in film over the next year so DC can cash in on the TV side.

Have you seen the 1990 live action series? The pilot was great, then the first 8 episodes or so were pretty boring. Then they started having Flash's actual rogue villains show up, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Trickster, and also they did a time travel story, a clone story, had a hero and villain from the 1950's resurface, plus other good storylines. The latter 2/3 of the series is really great imho and still holds up.

With the new series, play with Flash's rouge's gallery, it's a great one, and have some cool sci-fi storylines, Flash can do some pretty far out things with his speed and the show won't get boring.

Like I said, there's more suspension of disbelief in the comics due to things being static. I guess Captain Cold makes the floor slippy. The trickster probably makes it sticky/slippery. Zoom is as fast or can make Flash slower. Captain Boomerang, uh, takes the flash by surprise by hitting him on the back of the head when he seems to have missed? Realistically all of them except for Zoom should still be defeated by Flash beating them to the trigger. The show might get away with it if all the villains specifically come up with ways of tackling the Flash in particular. I'm sure they've had normal powered villains distract Flash by creating utter chaos over the city as even he can't be everywhere at once (close to though)

I also suspect they'll have plenty of Flash trying to learn about the Speed Force and how to utilize it.

Have you seen the 1990 live action series? The pilot was great, then the first 8 episodes or so were pretty boring. Then they started having Flash's actual rogue villains show up, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Trickster, and also they did a time travel story, a clone story, had a hero and villain from the 1950's resurface, plus other good storylines. The latter 2/3 of the series is really great imho and still holds up.

With the new series, play with Flash's rouge's gallery, it's a great one, and have some cool sci-fi storylines, Flash can do some pretty far out things with his speed and the show won't get boring.

It was never shown in the UK but I have heard good things about it. I agree that focusing on some of the cool stuff he can do rather than just fighting bad guys seems wise. I forgot about mirror master - he'll work really well visually. I agree he has a good rogues gallery.

I also suspect they'll have plenty of Flash trying to learn about the Speed Force and how to utilize it.

Hopefully it's not too "limited" a power eg he can only go at full speed for short bursts. Although that would be a sensible way of keeping his power levels down.

This question occured to me when watching Quicksilver in the latest X-Men film. Given that this is written by the same people responsible for Arrow, I wouldn't rule out lots of plot-induced stupidity.

Marvel's Quicksliver (Lee/Kirby) is in both X-men's world (Singer & Simon Kinsberg) and Avengers world (Whedon).

DC movies are being done by Snyder/Goyer, and both Arrow and Flash are by Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg.

I am not against pulling 50's villains (w/ updates) or even making new ones as long as they are written well.

ETA: Flash was Fox and Lampert

Green Arrow was Weisinger and Papp

Marvel's Quicksliver (Lee/Kirby) is in both X-men's world (Singer & Simon Kinsberg) and Avengers world (Whedon).

DC movies are being done by Snyder/Goyer, and both Arrow and Flash are by Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg.

I am not against pulling 50's villains (w/ updates) or even making new ones as long as they are written well.

I think Arrow's interpretations of villains have been pretty good on the whole. Count Vertigo was a highlight as well as Canary's "scream" although they seemed to forget about the latter fairly quickly

Err, yes. "This" in this case stands for the subject of this thread, this Flash show these writers of Arrow are putting together.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/38193

Older article. Not sure I've heard anything else about it.

Awesome if true.

And if true please let "mysterious role" be Jay Garrick.

I know it seems that meta humans or whatever seem to be a new thing in Arrow-Flash-verse but Garrick could have been a covert Flash no one really knew about.

Awesome if true.

I know it seems that meta humans or whatever seem to be a new thing in Arrow-Flash-verse but Garrick could have been a covert Flash no one really knew about.

I'm leaning towards Shipp being Barry's father.

Awesome if true.

Probably Barry's father, like Ashes says, but it would be nice to have Jay Garrick in there. Also it looks like reverse Flash/Zoom is in the show as well.

I also think it would be easy enough for metas to have existed in the arrow-verse for some time but that they've been very secretive.

Probably Barry's father, like Ashes says, but it would be nice to have Jay Garrick in there. Also it looks like reverse Flash/Zoom is in the show as well.

I also think it would be easy enough for metas to have existed in the arrow-verse for some time but that they've been very secretive.

Looking further, IMDB lists him as Barry ' s father. Guest starting in episode one, though the role could expand.

And absolutely meta humans have been around secretly. We know Slade was out there for five years. We know Argus has a top secret holding pen. It would seem that they're just aren't that many meta human heroes out there though...

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed the pilot had been leaked and couldn't resist. I enjoyed it except for one weird thing. Spoiler discussion to follow

It's fun and they are trying hard to keep the Arrow dynamic but with a more optimistic spin. Barry isn't angsty at all and he instantly surrounds himself with people who know what he is. The special effects work well so far - the only criticism I have is they seem to be mixing their interpretation of his speed. At times it looks like he doesn't think he's moving fast but that the world around him slows down (a character even says this) but at other times it's clear that he sees himself as moving fast eg running super fast and losing control. Ideally, i'd rather they stick with one over the other as thinking about it they seem mutually exclusive to me at least.

The cast are interesting. there's a "is he slightly evil" mentor, there's a cop who looks identical to the character as drawn in the Manapaul Flash run, and they've avoided having a Felcity clone (although she looks exactly like Simmons from "SHIELD"). There's also a character who fans will instantly recognise as a major villain and the interesting thing for me is whether said character is already evil or will become evil (there's no doubt this villain is the one based around Barry's origin/tragic past). The weak link is the CW love interest. There's nothing wrong with the actress or character but the set up. For all intents and purposes she is Wally's step sister which makes his crush on her kind of creepy to be honest. Her interpretation of the relationship is far more healthy to be honest. I'm left scratching my head at why they've went this direction and feels like it reflects badly on the title character in a Luke Skywalker way (and at least Luke didn't know).

The villain set up appears to as I thought it would be, The event that created the Flash has also created several other metahumans (and maybe other primated for the sharp eyed) which I suspect will be the set up for most of the adversaries.

Anyway I'm on board - it looks like it's set to be a fun show and seems to nicely sit in between Arrow and Smallville in terms of what they are going to do. Shame about the love interest though.

Archived