George R. R. Martin vs The Nerds

robdavies1775

I didn't know that there's so many of me.

But alas, patience is a virtue.

I don't want the books done quick. I want them done right.

Oh, sweet child of summer.

- Martin scrapped his 'five-year gap' plan, losing about 2 years of work.

- he then spent 11 years writing 2 novels, over 2,000 pages.

- so is it now 5 years later? No. The end of "A Dance with Dragons" is chronologically less than a year after the end of "A Storm of Swords.

By the time book seven comes out, Martin will be well into his 70s. (he was born in 1948.)

By that time he might well have decided that he's going to require an eighth or even 9th book.

He's going to have to live longer than Brynden Rivers to complete those.

I HOPE I'M WRONG!!

(On the Other Hand:)

- "The Winds of Winter" could come out early in 2015, with any luck and there aren't too many ComicCons between now and then.

- There's every reason to think that as he writes the 6th book, he's already thinking about the 7th very seriously, and in fact writing outlines for it. He kind of has to know where he's going after all, doesn't he. So book seven, best case scenario, could come out as early as 2018. 2017 if he feels that the show is putting him under pressure. ??

Oh, sweet child of summer.

- Martin scrapped his 'five-year gap' plan, losing about 2 years of work.

- he then spent 11 years writing 2 novels, over 2,000 pages.

- so is it now 5 years later? No. The end of "A Dance with Dragons" is chronologically less than a year after the end of "A Storm of Swords.

By the time book seven comes out, Martin will be well into his 70s. (he was born in 1948.)

By that time he might well have decided that he's going to require an eighth or even 9th book.

He's going to have to live longer than Brynden Rivers to complete those.

I HOPE I'M WRONG!!

(On the Other Hand:)

- "The Winds of Winter" could come out early in 2015, with any luck and there aren't too many ComicCons between now and then.

- There's every reason to think that as he writes the 6th book, he's already thinking about the 7th very seriously, and in fact writing outlines for it. He kind of has to know where he's going after all, doesn't he. So book seven, best case scenario, could come out as early as 2018. 2017 if he feels that the show is putting him under pressure. ??

I'm familiar with the five year gap epidemic, and glad is was scrapped. If I remember correctly, the gap plan was purposed during the time where he meant to make a trilogy out of ASoIaF. So by dismissing it, he opened a whole new can of story lines that create an epic build up to his already-planned finale, even if it did cost him 2 years of work. So like I said, I'd rather him do it right than speedy (as long as he isn't the final 'character' to die) :(

And he originally meant to release Dance only a year after Feast, but plenty of re-writes and side projects took that plan away.

As for the the story's chronology (I don't know why you threw that out there) you are right. Just because a sequel takes five years to write in real time doesn't mean a five year equivalent in story time. Still wondering where I stepped on your toes considering that one. :lol:

Concerning the release date of Winds, I'm sure it's close at hand as you said. He's already released a sufficient amount of excerpts (with Mercy practically being a forced one) such as he did with Dance. I can't really recall how many were taken from Dance, but I think it was six sample chapters before it's release. And Martin's publisher has said that 2015 will be the earliest time for release, and hopefully doesn't push beyond that.

I personally believe that Dream will be written quickly, fingers crossed. I think this because he's known how the story ends since the beginning. The long waits for Feast and Dance have been the effect of him trying to fill in for the now nonexistent five year gap and pairing up the two book's parallel timelines, but he knows the events of the ending like the back of his hand. So, I'm hoping that the final book will roll right of his fingers. I seriously doubt (more like hope not) that the story will pursue into an eighth edition. He is an old fella, and surely he knows the stakes of his time ending before his master piece is complete. However, The Wheel of Time's original author passed away before the completion of his loooong series, but was picked up and beautifully filled by another, ending the series with fourteen books. So best case scenario would be for that to happen with ASoIaF, if something ill should fall and Martin, even though I'd still despise it compared to what-would-have-been.

Sorry for rambling. I'm just bored and tired :bang:

Watching this, I just realised that almost all of my ASoIaF fanfriends are women. Both irl and online. E-ro and one off-site dude are the only men I know as fanfriends.

No idea why I just thought of that. :/

Well, writing AFWD was MUCH MUCH more complicated than writing TWOW and ADOS is ever going to be. He needed to figure out where the POVs will be, how to set things in motion for the climactic battles and how everyone will come together. But now that he's done all that, it will be a much easier road from now on. TWOW has two climactic battles -- not too hard to write, and you can already see how everything is coming back together. ADOS will be a piece of lemoncake compared to AFWD, since it is simply the conclusion of the series. He'll know all his loose ends and how to tie 'em up, as opposed to making more loose ends.

Archived