Is Roose hoping for a new heir?

Ocelot

Roose Bolton arranged for Ramsay to be legitimized so that he'd have an heir. But it's obvious that Roose realizes that Ramsay has disastrous judgment. Roose says that if he has any children w/ Walda, Ramsay will kill them and that that's a good thing b/c for Roose to be succeeded by a child lord would be the ruin of House Bolton. But given Roose's low opinion of Ramsay combined w/ the fact that Roose isn't that old and is in good health and has just married a 15-year-old, I think he is hoping that he can have another son whom he can groom to follow him and that he will live long enough for this son to reach adulthood and then Roose can figure out some way to dispose of Ramsay (not killing him directly--even Roose thinks kinslaying is bad luck). What do you think?

If Roose didn't need a (f)Arya-Ramsay marriage to solidify his hold on the North, I don't think he would have asked for Ramsay to be legitimized. I think Roose does want an heir with Walda, but he is also cognizant of the fact that Ramsay killed his previous heir. Of course, Ramsay was a Snow while Domeric was a Bolton at the time, but I don't think a legitimized Ramsay is going to want his father to have a son with Walda. Daughters he'd probably pose no threat to, but I can see Ramsay standing over the cradle of any son Walda gives Roose, and it not ending well for the baby boy. :ack:

He definitely doesn't want Ramsay to be his heir. Legitimizing his was only to get him married to Arya so that the North will be in his control. Since Stannis is still lingering around in the North, I don't think we'll know his plans until the North is completely under his control.

Roose knows any sons he bears will be killed. Roose also will not kill Ramsey to protect those sons. Because Roose knows he will most likley die before those sons come of age. And he would rather have Ramsey carry on the Bolton line then having a child lord who will be influenced and manipulated by any one and every one.

So yes. Roose wants Ramsey as his heir. While the situation is not ideal. Its the best of a lose / lose situation in his opinion.

Archived