Season 4 Interview: Bryan Cogman

Westeros

With Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Bryan Cogman’s been the member of the Game of Thrones production we’ve had most opportunities to interview, and as always it’s been a pleasure as we range around various behind-the-scenes aspects of the production, as well as some in-depth discussion of Bryan’s work as a writer for this season in regards to “Oathkeeper” and “The Laws of Gods and Men”>. See below for the full interview, as we discuss filming in Iceland, the growth of the scale of the production since the early days, who Bryan’s idol is, and more!

Interview

All right, welcome back to what’s turning into an annual chat, Bryan. I think Nikolaj’s the only person we’ve interviewed as often at this point.

I’ll beat his record, dammit! Thinks he’s so special…

Hah. As I recall, this season included your first trip to Iceland for filming—usually none of your material was shot there, is that right?

GameOfThrones_S4_E405_02.jpg

Trying to think… ah, there was one bit from “Kissed By Fire”—the encounter with Jon and Orell just before he and Ygritte go into the cave. That was Iceland. But, then again, D&D wrote most of that bit… And, of course, the interior of the cave was a soundstage in Belfast. So, yeah! Got to do Iceland. Funnily enough, though, apart from one scene, all the season four Iceland stuff features in D&D’s episodes. But I had the huge honor of being the sole writer covering the Iceland unit this year (apart from the Tormund/Styr scene in 401—D&D flew in to direct that).
The one scene shot in Iceland from my episodes is the dragon popping out of that gorge. But, then again, I wasn’t on set for that! I was with Michelle on the other unit shooting the Arya/Hound water dancing scene. That location with all the waterfalls is maybe the most beautiful place I’ve ever been. Iceland just looks like another world. The landscapes, they’re just a bit different, a bit fantastical, so it fit what we’re doing perfectly.

Iceland really looks stunning. This time around the shooting was in the summer. Lots of sunlight, relatively warm weather?

(Click here for the rest of the interview in our Features section!)

Visit the Site!

Bryan always give good interviews.

Sigh, I would like to hear about when the dragons will be named, he has a good sense of humor about the question, and he does say they have the same names as in the books.

Still starting at the end of season two my non-reader friends who watch with me keep forgetting and will say "what's that one's name?".

I can believe there ARE that expensive, but I would have guessed with advances in CGI , even in the last 5 years, they would NOT be way expensive.

Added:

I think now names will be given in episode 10... if its E8 I will be disappointed but pleased too!

• 2 weeks later...

What makes you think that?

Someone beat be to this...

when the lock up comes, what is Dany going to say?

Get the white one first.

Then the green one.

We save the black one for last.

See what I mean?

As to being disappointed, tonight's episode, not really, I was just joshing around.

I don't see how it can be since Alex Graves and D&D said that E10 would be VFX heavy , maybe not as heavy is E9.

Funny D and D said , some while ago now, that E10 was the most complex VFX episode they have done.

E9 may be more VFX laden but the nature of it is something VFX companies have been doing for some while now... caging three o'rnary dragons , may have been done but I don't remember it.

GOT's dragons have been unlike anyone else's.

The N.Y. Times mentioned them again this morning.

Archived