Hizdahr and Yunkia (Book Spoilers)

Howdyphillip

A single line in tonight's episode got me thinking. It was the mention of the order that was given by Daenerys to send Hizdahr to Yunkia to rule in her stead.I think that this will not be a major change to the plot, as obviously he is going to have to come back at some time and marry Danny.

What this does say to me is that he is probably completely removed off the possible suspect list of the Harpy. He will not be around for the time of the mini revolts now.

One doesn't have to be in a city to send one's agents to do dirty-work.

Well, of course it can be changed in the TV show, but in the books, there was daily changes in the actions of the Harpy based on the reactions of Daenerys. That would prove impossible.

I personally think that the TV audience is going to be a lot softer in thier opinion of Hizdahr as a character and I think that means that he will not turn out to be the Harpy

Did she send him to rule? It seems to me that she sent him to warn the Yunkai masters, but not to rule.

She just sent him as a diplomat. He isn't going to rule.

I was amazed tonight at the throwaway line of "The Second Sons are patrolling the streets to stop the revenge killings" or some variant.

Sons of the Harpy, or what?

I have to assume that is what they intended with that but it was really sloppy. The Sons of the Harpy are such a large part of Dany's story in ADWD that I would have thought they'd do a better job introducing them as a problem than that. "Oh, yeah, by the way, there have been some revenge killings but we don't need to tell you about that. BUTT CHEEKS!" They did the same thing with Dany's council in Astapor (minus the butt). A full season later they put in a throwaway line mentioning how it failed. "By the way, that council you set up that we've never talked about or hinted at before? Yeah it failed and now some guy named Cleon is being mean."

It's rather frustrating. Is it really that difficult to lay the groundwork for these things by having 15-30 seconds of dialogue? But it does cut into the precious Boob Time so I guess that's probably why. My hopes of them actually managing to properly tackle the complexities of the situation in Meereen pretty much went out the window with this episode.

I was amazed tonight at the throwaway line of "The Second Sons are patrolling the streets to stop the revenge killings" or some variant.

Yeah, I guess that's what she's referring to, but it completely came out of nowhere. Hopefully, we'll get some explanation in ep. 8 or 10.

They did the same thing with Dany's council in Astapor (minus the butt). A full season later they put in a throwaway line mentioning how it failed. "By the way, that council you set up that we've never talked about or hinted at before? Yeah it failed and now some guy named Cleon is being mean."

I'm okay with the throw-away introduction of the trouble at Astapor, mostly because we're not going to spend much more time there. It's more of a distant problem for Dany that only comes to bite her once the pale mare arrives. The revenge killings on the other hand... see my point above. I don't know what they were thinking introducing something that close to Dany'S current storyline like that.

As for Hizdahr being sent to Yunkai, she's sending him there as an ambassador, hoping that he, being a master, will convince the other masters not to throw their lies away. Personally, I thinks it's more than likely that he will betray her, encourage Yunkai to attack, establish connections between Yunkai and the Harpy and then come running back to Daenerys saying the masters threatened to kill him, or something. Cue more killings in the street, followed by his marriage proposals to stop the violence.

Yeah, I guess that's what she's referring to, but it completely came out of nowhere. Hopefully, we'll get some explanation in ep. 8 or 10.

I hope so.

I'm okay with the throw-away introduction of the trouble at Astapor, mostly because we're not going to spend much more time there. It's more of a distant problem for Dany that only comes to bite her once the pale mare arrives.

Yeah, that's fair. I think it just irked me because it felt like a retcon on the show when it's a very deliberate attempt by Dany to keep order in Astapor in the books. Book Dany makes a mistake that comes back to bite her later on but she at least attempted to create order in the chaos after the sacking. On the show, she just kills the masters and marches off. It's information that should have been dropped sooner, even if it was a short exchange. I'm glad they eventually included it but it shouldn't have been in the form of an infodump.

The revenge killings on the other hand... see my point above. I don't know what they were thinking introducing something that close to Dany'S current storyline like that.

I agree. It's certainly concerning. They don't need to go into the same depth as GRRM did in ADWD to explain the situation (they simply don't have the time) but I'd still like to see Meereen handled with the same care as King's Landing. If we see that at all, I doubt it'll be this season. It'd make more sense next season.

As for Hizdahr being sent to Yunkai, she's sending him there as an ambassador, hoping that he, being a master, will convince the other masters not to throw their lies away. Personally, I thinks it's more than likely that he will betray her, encourage Yunkai to attack, establish connections between Yunkai and the Harpy and then come running back to Daenerys saying the masters threatened to kill him, or something. Cue more killings in the street, followed by his marriage proposals to stop the violence.

Hmm, I can see that happening.

I don't think Dany was refering to the Sons of the Harpy's murders, but to the murders of slavers by their former slaves.

I don't think Dany was refering to the Sons of the Harpy's murders, but to the murders of slavers by their former slaves.

That's certainly a possibility. Now that you mention it, that would make a lot of sense. But it was an odd choice given that revenge killings are a major part of Dany's Meereen arc. They could have clarified things a bit more. Dany's story would really benefit from a bit more screen time to help flesh out the situation she's facing.

It was kind of funny how they changed the context of Dany and Daario's first night together. In the books, it was like she gave in to her budding attraction to him after a long time struggling with it. Here, it was more like:

"Let me kill your enemies"

"I have a better idea. Let's screw!"

It was kind of funny how they changed the context of Dany and Daario's first night together. In the books, it was like she gave in to her budding attraction to him after a long time struggling with it. Here, it was more like:

"Let me kill your enemies"

"I have a better idea. Let's screw!"

I thought it was way too random and way too soon. We've barely seen Daario and Dany interact at this point. I get they have a nudity quota to meet but geez. Hit the breaks a little, guys! Give these characters (and the viewers) time to see that there's an actual attraction there. I did like that they made it so Dany was in complete control of the situation, though.

I didn't mind that much. Show!Hizdahr is just a different creature entirely and it's obvious that they are speeding up the Meereen storyline. And thank god. The meereenese knot was just utterly awful and torturous in the books.

From the looks of things, Dany will wrap up all the useless East stuff ( slaves/Dothraki/other weird shit ) by the end of season 5, and finally spend 2 seasons in Westeros. Which is more thank you can say for the books.

Anyone else wonders, why Dany had choosen Hizdahr as her governor of Yunkai? She has just only once spoken with him and now gives him power over a

whole city, without Jorah, her most trusted counselor, even knowing about this? Not very plausible.

I think they building up Hizdahr as the ruler of Yunkai coming back to siege Mereen and the second sons as turning their cloaks, so Tyrion can later convince them to go back to Danys side. But then why make Daario having a romantic relationship to Dany, when he is going to betray her anyway? Just so that it seemes more "mean" of him? Also not very well written.

And third: did Jorah at any time just straightforward admit to Dany, that he was a slaver in the books? I can't remember

In my opinion, they are handling things in Mereen quite too fast, so theres no time to build up real plots.

Maybe trying to reclaim Yunkai and killing all the masters will be the trigger that makes Yunkish and Ghiscari cities actually attack Meereen.

Yeah, it's very strange... First Qarth was taken out of the picture in season two, then she got control of the Meereenese navy, and now she's stopping the Yunkai'i before they can reclaim Astapor and march to Meereen? It looks like they're taking out all the things that led up to the (second) siege of Meereen and the eventual "Battle of Fire".

Yeah, it's very strange... First Qarth was taken out of the picture in season two, then she got control of the Meereenese navy, and now she's stopping the Yunkai'i before they can reclaim Astapor and march to Meereen? It looks like they're taking out all the things that led up to the (second) siege of Meereen and the eventual "Battle of Fire".

Depends if the Second Sons can actually take Yunkai. Yunkai has massive walls and the Second Sons aren't the hugest of mercenary companies.

Archived