I have a theory....anyone willing to hear it?

I just started reading the first book in the series and I’m a few chapters in and I theorize Jon was actually Eddard Stark’s sister's child. Like when he found her in her bed all bloody, it because she had given birth, and when she made him promise, the promise was to not tell anyone Jon was her child……just guessing. The years match up though, because Lyanna dies about 14-15 years before the books begin....and Jon is 14 at the beginning of the series. Plus it would make more sense that Ned treats it like a touchy subject. Anyways.....just wanted to know if anyone agrees with me.

I was just coming here to post this! I agree. There are lots of hints to this, I think. All the ones you have mentioned plus the description of Ned's personality that doesn't fit with him being unfaithful. I think it's Lyanna's baby and I think the father is Rhaegar Targaryen. Robert says Rhaegar raped Lyanna "hundreds of times". And that is also a great explanation why Ned has kept it a secret even though it put a stress on his marriage. If Jon is Rhaegar's son and people found out he would've been killed immediately. And Ned had sworn to his sister to protect the baby.

Hmm, I'm not sure. It takes, what, 9 months for a full pregnancy? How long was Lyanna with Rhaegar? I agree it would be cool and it is VERY unlikely that you could have that much unprotected sex without getting pregnant, but consider this:

1. There are numerous possible reasons for Lyanna's bed to be bloody. She might have been attacked, or tried to commit suicide. She could even be on her period!

2. I'm pretty sure Robert was exaggerating when he said 'hundreds of times'. That's a lot of time, and Rhaegar had a war to fight. Spending his spare time raping Lyanna would be dumb. Although maybe it helps explain why he lost.

3. Jon has been said to look very much like his father, which would be Ned.

BUT IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF THIS WAS TRUE.

I have a theory....anyone willing to hear it?

welcome to the world of asoiaf. :cheers:

everyone at this forum has a theory and most of us have the one you mention here. keep reading. you'll have more theories, for sure!

Is it a "theory" or a "hypothesis"?

Well, theory usually has more basis then a hypothesis, which is like an educated guess. I'd say its technically a hypothesis, but theory sounds cooler and I don't think everyone is likely to go around and say 'theory' instead of 'hypothesis' on a technicality.

Well, theory usually has more basis then a hypothesis, which is like an educated guess. I'd say its technically a hypothesis, but theory sounds cooler and I don't think everyone is likely to go around and say 'theory' instead of 'hypothesis' on a technicality.

People are picking out technicalities here all the time XD

Ya, I read this theory a year or two ago and think it sounds more and more likely as I reread...again...and read other ASOIAF stuff. For instance, I read an interview that the Game of Thrones HBO creators did about their hiring interview with GRRM; apparently his question to see if they passed muster was about Jon's parentage, and he was pleased with their answer. I interpret that to mean we already have enough info from the first 5 books to know, and since the Lyanna/Rhaegar theory seems to be the prevailing one up to this point, I think the odds are good that it's right. Add in the business about Jon being the potential coming again of Azor Ahai based on prophesy, and it looks pretty sweet. The real question: will Jon and Dany come together as enemies...or lovers?

Something else on this topic - are we sure that Rhaegar raped Lyanna? Jorah's description of him made him sound like he might not be the type. It also sounds like he really loved Lyanna. I am doing my reread now and am still only on GoT so I can't remember well enough to know for sure. Could it be that Robert wants to believe she didn't go willingly into someone else's arms?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived