Glad to see The Mountain is moisturizing - see how young he looks!

I did cringe slightly about an actor in his mid 40s telling a story about his character's (strongly implied older, as in the books) brother, played by an actor in his mid 20s. Oh well...

Ugh, yeah - the actor is in his early thirties at most and far too likable looking. If massive size and muscles were the only qualifications on the job description, I think they could have found any number of hulking large dudes who looked a lot older and more evil ... this guy even had a nice tan and smooth skin - way too pretty for the horrific monster "The Mountain" was described as in the books. Oh well - it was my ONLY one tiny nitpick in the entire episode - I absolutely loved the rest of the scenes - amazingly powerful episode.

...why the hell was he killing random villagers in front of a pile of weapons, and why weren't they just fleeing?

I suppose i assumed that they were all accused criminals on trial. Maybe 'crown prosecution service' is very much a regular gig for the mountain in the show (though if so you'd think that tyrion would just assume that the mountain would fight his champion)? I suppose the implication was that he's so formidable that processing cases bulk is just the sensible, expedient, way to do the job?

Apart from killing more innocents in 20 seconds than both other actors combined?

Meh. A freakishly tall and buff man with a baby face cutting down scrawny little dudes is not really all that impressive.

Now a slightly larger than average guy with a crazy face cutting a horse in half... how that is memorable.

Yeah, if you saw a guy with that combo of height and muscle coming your way with a 6 foot long sword, you would feel pretty screwed.

Size matters but in my opinion on screen a shorter actor with more evil (facial) looks would have worked much better than a huge teddy bear like this one

ETA: I don't usually practice the sports of complaining about the show and I gave him the benefit of the doubt but now I must say he doesn't look manacing at all, I also think they added that nonsense scene with the peasants because "hey people, look: this guy is a brutal monster!", something you could never tell by his expression.

Yeah he's too cuddly looking.

Conan Stevens in S1 was perfect, he was not nearly as big, but he had that crazy face. This new guy just looks like he wants to cuddle and watch reruns of Who's the Boss

This! Why did they even drop Conan anyway?

Meh. A freakishly tall and buff man with a baby face cutting down scrawny little dudes is not really all that impressive.

Now a slightly larger than average guy with a crazy face cutting a horse in half... how that is memorable.

Um, Conan Stevens is taller than Hafthor Bjornsson, though he weighs about 80-100 lbs less. Conan definitely had a meaner looking face that fit the Mountain better, IMO.

Hafthor is WAY better than Ian Whyte.

I'm not too concerned about the actor, he doesn't need to do much. But why the hell was he killing random villagers in front of a pile of weapons, and why weren't they just fleeing?

They were chained up, with a gaoler nearby. I assume they were all peasant prisoners (maybe captured in the Riverlands, if not all from Flea Bottom) being used as "target practice" by Gregor for his championship bout. He didn't know who he was fighting, but he knew he was there to fight a singular individual.

This! Why did they even drop Conan anyway?

Opinions and statements vary, but I believe the general consensus is that Conan Stevens refused to come back for the Season 2 cameo, because he was filming The Hobbit movies in New Zealand, and the production decided never to hire him again.

Archived