Biggest Mystery in the Entire Series is in chapter one.

Mdoggy

I recently started rereading the books and I just finished the first chapter of GOT and I just realized something huge:

WHERE DID THE DIREWOLF MOTHER COME FROM?

It never bothered me in my first read through but now it is driveing me crazy.

If a Direwolf hasn't been seen in 200 years how did one end up in the middle of the north without being seen?

There is also only the Direwolf Mother shown. If there is a mother who is the Father?

I thought maybe it came through the wall but that is highly unlikely because I dont think the Night Watch will just let a pregnant Direwolf through the wall.

So is there a secret bunch of Direwolves in the North?

To me it seems like the greatest mystery in the series because there is no mention or evidence or prophecy that sheds light on this conundrum.

Has this bothered anyone else?

The direwolf pups are gifts from the old gods. Therefore, the last greenseer probably warged with the female direwolf to guide her over the Wall and place her near Winterfell.

I have read many other theories as well, but they all are rather contrived compared to what we later learn of the powers Bran commands.

Not being seen does not mean going extinct. It is reported that some of the animals who are supposed to be extinct for decades surface up occasionally.

The Wolfswood is a very large forest and I think direwolves still live there but they are too few in numbers and avoid humans. The mother of the pups came from the Wolfswood IMO.

Well it can't be a coincidence , a direwolf is found near the place were Gared was beheaded , I think they both came togheter . I mean why didn't The Others killed Gared , they simple let him go and thats a mistery , who knows maybe The Others sent the direwolf with him ( direwolf is a winter animal )

There is also only the Direwolf Mother shown. If there is a mother who is the Father?

I thought maybe it came through the wall but that is highly unlikely because I dont think the Night Watch will just let a pregnant Direwolf through the wall.

There is no father. It's symmetry. Do you know the Father of Dragons? Just trolling. :cool4:

The wall is only a few hundred feet wide. It is easy for a wolf to swim from the northern North to the southern North.

The Wolfswood is bigger than Scotland, and sparsely populated.

Heck, we know Bigfoot is out there in North America... So why can't a breeding population of Direwolves survive undetected in a vast expanse of wilderness in a medieval society?

In any case. I am certain that there are still direwolves in the Wolfswood - which was likely named after them in the distant past. Just because they aren't seen, doesn't mean they aren't there.

And the Wolfswood is much more fertile, with a lot more prey in it, than the icy Haunted Forest. So it can easily support a significant population of direwolves.

Well if the direwolves are monstrously larger than regular wolves I suppose people would be able to tell the difference. But I think this is beside the point. Why do we need the parents of the litter? The wood is large enough to have creatures roaming there without being seen for decades. I don't really see it as a mystery, just a cool myth made flesh to foreshadow Eddard's death and the nature of the puppies/Stark children. Besides, the magic is returning to the world, why couldn't they just magically reappear?

Well it can't be a coincidence , a direwolf is found near the place were Gared was beheaded , I think they both came togheter . I mean why didn't The Others killed Gared , they simple let him go and thats a mistery , who knows maybe The Others sent the direwolf with him ( direwolf is a winter animal )

I've never understood how Gared came from beyond the wall, - might have missed it from the reading. But the least interesting answer is that he simply went to Castle Black and then left the NW. However, the direwolf would not have accompanied him through Castle Black so something else needs to explain that fact.

Two questions:

1. The direwolf in question died from a failed attempt at killing a Deer (right?) and upon them discovering the antle in its wound brought silence to the group, - is that a foreshadowing of Baratheons causing the death of a Stark? "A sudden silence descended over the party. The men looked at the antler uneasily, and no one dared to speak."

2. Ghost (white fur, red eyes AND open eyes) is said to be born from the dead: “Maybe she didn’t,” Jory said. “I’ve heard tales... maybe the bitch was already dead when the pups came.” “Born with the dead,” another man put in. “Worse luck.” Is this a reference to Jon's "birth" by a dead Lyanna?

Feel free to shoot this down.

I recently started rereading the books and I just finished the first chapter of GOT and I just realized something huge:

WHERE DID THE DIREWOLF MOTHER COME FROM?

It never bothered me in my first read through but now it is driveing me crazy.

If a Direwolf hasn't been seen in 200 years how did one end up in the middle of the north without being seen?

So is there a secret bunch of Direwolves in the North?

To me it seems like the greatest mystery in the series because there is no mention or evidence or prophecy that sheds light on this conundrum.

Has this bothered anyone else?

I believe it is confirmed that there are dire wolves north of the wall, I think by osha

I've never understood how Gared came from beyond the wall, - might have missed it from the reading. But the least interesting answer is that he simply went to Castle Black and then left the NW. However, the direwolf would not have accompanied him through Castle Black so something else needs to explain that fact.

Two questions:

1. The direwolf in question died from a failed attempt at killing a Deer (right?) and upon them discovering the antle in its wound brought silence to the group, - is that a foreshadowing of Baratheons causing the death of a Stark? "A sudden silence descended over the party. The men looked at the antler uneasily, and no one dared to speak."

2. Ghost (white fur, red eyes AND open eyes) is said to be born from the dead: “Maybe she didn’t,” Jory said. “I’ve heard tales... maybe the bitch was already dead when the pups came.” “Born with the dead,” another man put in. “Worse luck.” Is this a reference to Jon's "birth" by a dead Lyanna?

Feel free to shoot this down.

I believe ghost is able to cross the wall, seems to reason that the direwolf population north of the wall (I believe Osha confirms this) could cross the wall in the same manner.

I believe ghost is able to cross the wall, seems to reason that the direwolf population north of the wall (I believe Osha confirms this) could cross the wall in the same manner.

Ghost came back with Jon, after Jon was wandering around the wilding prisoners who were at the foot of wall on Northern side. Ghost came through the gate.

MotherDirewolf and Kid Direwolves may have come through the Tunnel used by Wilding brothers Gendel & Gorne, being guided by Bloodraven, CotF or perhaps the OLD GODS themselves.

As for Mother Direwolve coming from Wolveswood , if there had been Direwolves in Wolveswood someone would have seen them in 200 years. I mean Winterfell gets its meat from Wolveswood mainly. Lords of Winterfell hunt in Wolveswood. Its very hard to imagine that direwolves would have remained hidden for 200 years.

Well if the direwolves are monstrously larger than regular wolves I suppose people would be able to tell the difference. But I think this is beside the point. Why do we need the parents of the litter? The wood is large enough to have creatures roaming there without being seen for decades. I don't really see it as a mystery, just a cool myth made flesh to foreshadow Eddard's death and the nature of the puppies/Stark children. Besides, the magic is returning to the world, why couldn't they just magically reappear?

Well the kids would probably still be larger than a regular wolf. They could still turn out to be as big as mom, or larger than a regular wolf but smaller than an average direwolf - the humans south of the Wall wouldn't have known since they have never seen a direwolf

But it is not important, I doubt that GRRM ever gave it a thought

Heck, we know Bigfoot is out there in North America... So why can't a breeding population of Direwolves survive undetected in a vast expanse of wilderness in a medieval society?

Bigfoot is as real as direwolves but not near as interesting.

Well the kids would probably still be larger than a regular wolf. They could still turn out to be as big as mom, or larger than a regular wolf but smaller than an average direwolf - the humans south of the Wall wouldn't have known since they have never seen a direwolf

But it is not important, I doubt that GRRM ever gave it a thought

:agree:

She is a plot device, no big mystery there.

Maybe the direwolves were hidden away in the forest, but their sudden appearance into the Starks' lives cannot be a coincidence. I'm more likely to believe that the old gods had something to do with this, as if it was fated that these particular kids would get them.

Archived