Winged Wolf

The Fresh PtwP

"I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to the earth with grey stone chains," he said. "It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."

Flight has been a recurring theme in Bran's story line. If Bran's flying only meant the awakening of his greenseer abilities then his story is pretty much over.

“You will never walk again, Bran,” the pale lips promised, “but you will fly.”

Bran has walked though through Summer. So I think BR is implying more than just skinchanging into birds here. I think he means literally flying here. So how would Bran fly?

"A greenseer can skinchange into any animal that walks or flies or swims"

I'm paraphrasing but based on that principle if you are powerful enough you can in fact skinchange into a dragon.

"Most of him has gone into the tree ... He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men. Only a little strength remains in his flesh. He has a thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch. One day you will know."

A thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch sounds like BR's gaze goes beyond Westeros. I have little doubt that he knows about the dragons being born and the impact that will have on Westeros.

"He wanted to cry. Not cry. Fly. "I can't fly," Bran said. "I can't, I can't ..." How do you know? Have you ever tried? The voice was high and thin"

True, in his physical condition riding a horse is too much how is going to fly a dragon? Have no fear because here comes Tyrion with the biggest Chekov's gun in the series.

"while Bran sat strapped to her back in the oversize saddle the Imp had drawn up for him"

Thank you and hope you enjoy.

Flight has been a recurring theme in Bran's story line. If Bran's flying only meant the awakening of his greenseer abilities then his story is pretty much over.

Besides him learning to control his abilities and then using them to effectively change a course of events, and then the part about him implementing BR's plan to save the continent and coming to terms or rejecting the cost associated with said plan.

Besides him learning to control his abilities and then using them to effectively change a course of events, and then the part about him implementing BR's plan to save the continent and coming to terms or rejecting the cost associated with said plan.

Bloodraven isn't long for this world, I don't know how he can teach Bran all that anyways before the Long Night 2.0 happens. If saving the continent is truly BRs plan. Besides the very limited capabilities of the weirnet. People on these forums hype up green seer powers but so far we've seen:

1.) Bran getting hazy glimpses of the past

2.)

Bran maybe talking to Theon through ravens in Theon's WoW chapter

I just don't think Bran's story ends at the weirwood throne.

• 1 month later...

Bloodraven isn't long for this world, I don't know how he can teach Bran all that anyways before the Long Night 2.0 happens. If saving the continent is truly BRs plan. Besides the very limited capabilities of the weirnet. People on these forums hype up green seer powers but so far we've seen:

1.) Bran getting hazy glimpses of the past

2.)

Bran maybe talking to Theon through ravens in Theon's WoW chapter

I just don't think Bran's story ends at the weirwood throne.

Didn't greenseers make armies of tree soldiers and use water to close a land bridge? I've heard a theory than Bran the Builder used greenseer powers to build the Wall, Winterfell, etc. Honestly I think you're underselling greenseers.

Also, from a plot perspective Bran's powers would be very useful; giving people visions of what they need to do, communicating with the remaining Straks, etc. I'd hate for Bran to spend the rest of his life as a tree but I don't think it would be the end of his story.

Didn't greenseers make armies of tree soldiers and use water to close a land bridge? I've heard a theory than Bran the Builder used greenseer powers to build the Wall, Winterfell, etc. Honestly I think you're underselling greenseers.

Also, form a plot perspective Bran's powers would be very useful; giving people visions of what they need to do, communicating with the remaining Straks, etc. I'd hate for Bran to spend the rest of his life as a tree but I don't think it would be the end of his story.

How much of those are just stories and how much is Bran incapable of? Magics back in the world, we're very far North and I still haven't seen any CotF/greenseer magic.

I guess. I just feel he is meant for bigger than that.

How much of those are just stories and how much is Bran incapable of? Magics back in the world, we're very far North and I still haven't seen any CotF/greenseer magic.

What about the fire grenade from the show? :laugh:

You may be right about the stories being myths/exaggerated but I hope we see some badass greenseer magic from Bran. Whichever way Bran's story turns out I'm sure it'll be epic.

It would be nice to see Bran worg into Danaerys' dragon, Drogon, then eat her, giving her a very ironic death. Then it would be cool for him to cruise around and destroy the Others. He probably wouldn't leave the dragon because of how powerful and awesome of a feeling it is to be one. Almost invincible. Then he would end up becoming the beast, losing his memory, and either attack the kingdoms or just keep cruising North. Bran will end up trapped in something by the end. May as well be a dragon :)

I am really excited about Brans story line, and I don't want to see him or any other Stark Warging a Dragon, I know that's not the Popular stance. But hey.

Bran is a very powerfull Warg & Greenseer. He' is already learning to skinchange other animals, and t use the weirnet,

I agree with The Fresh PTWP in that

He's seemingly talking to Theon through the ravens in his TWOW sample chapter.

and will add that

he is also seemingly calling to Arya via Nymeria, calling her home in her sample chapter.

add in the dream Ghost has whilst Jon is wolf dreaming him, where Bran appears to him as a sapling Weirwood.

and its looking increasingly as though Bran can and will continue to communicate with his siblings (& cousin) & his foster brother in this manor. I think we'll get a Bran Sansa interaction when she visits the Godswood at the Gates of the Moon. Which she will visit, we know that she preys now predominatly to the Old Gods, and that she sought out the Godswood at the Eyrie lamenting that it was no godswood as a weirwood would not grow there, and it felt godless that she felt godless (there was no need for GRRM to repeat this tale of the lack of a weirwood being able to grow as Cat has told us once already, he wants us to know that this is important to Sansa.) So Sansa will seek out a heart tree and I think it very likely Bran will try to communicate with her there.

I am sure he will with rickon too but of course we won't know of that until Davos has reached Rickon and he relays a "queer occurrence" whilst he was near a heart tree to Davos. Rickon is now 6 yrs old and much more able to articulate than when he had his dream of Ned back in Winterfell. Or maybe we will just get the interaction from Brans POV?

"I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to the earth with grey stone chains," he said. "It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them."

“You will never walk again, Bran,” the pale lips promised, “but you will fly.”

Bran has walked though through Summer. So I think BR is implying more than just skinchanging into birds here. I think he means literally flying here. So how would Bran fly?

"A greenseer can skinchange into any animal that walks or flies or swims"

I'm paraphrasing but based on that principle if you are powerful enough you can in fact skinchange into a dragon.

"Most of him has gone into the tree ... He has lived beyond his mortal span, and yet he lingers. For us, for you, for the realms of men. Only a little strength remains in his flesh. He has a thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch. One day you will know."

A thousand eyes and one, but there is much to watch sounds like BR's gaze goes beyond Westeros. I have little doubt that he knows about the dragons being born and the impact that will have on Westeros.

"He wanted to cry. Not cry. Fly. "I can't fly," Bran said. "I can't, I can't ..." How do you know? Have you ever tried? The voice was high and thin"

True, in his physical condition riding a horse is too much how is going to fly a dragon? Have no fear because here comes Tyrion with the biggest Chekov's gun in the series.

"while Bran sat strapped to her back in the oversize saddle the Imp had drawn up for him"

Thank you and hope you enjoy.

How does this mean BR's gaze goes beyond Westeros? I doubt very much that BR is monitoring Essos.

It would be nice to see Bran worg into Danaerys' dragon, Drogon, then eat her, giving her a very ironic death. Then it would be cool for him to cruise around and destroy the Others. He probably wouldn't leave the dragon because of how powerful and awesome of a feeling it is to be one. Almost invincible. Then he would end up becoming the beast, losing his memory, and either attack the kingdoms or just keep cruising North. Bran will end up trapped in something by the end. May as well be a dragon :)

And flies the dragon/himself into the Heart of Winter, thereby ending the funky meteorological cycles on Planetos.

I think Bran already "flew" in his dream in AGOT. Bloodraven tells him that he has to fly or die and he ends up doing some spirit walk shit and seeing the entire world simultaenously before him. I think it's an ability that allows him some sort of semi-omnipresence.

I think Bran already "flied" in his dream in AGOT. Bloodraven tells him that he has to fly or die and he ends up doing some spirit walk shit and seeing the entire world simultaenously before him. I think it's an ability that allows him some sort of semi-omnipresence.

Well we all know Euron couldn't fly. Though if he ever visits the Eyrie...

• 3 months later...

Bran's "flight" has nothing to do with actual flying or skinchanging a dragon. It is the opening of his third eye and realizing his potential as a greenseer. In ADwD, Bran starts to fly.

The only dragon I can see Bran "mounting" and "flying" with it is Jon. If Jon turns out to be the Lightbringer and if Bran turns out to be AAR who is supposed to "wield" the LB, then it means Bran will fly with Jon.

I've always interpreted 'flying' as an omnipresent POV for Bran via ravens, weirwoods and warging. Magic has been pretty tame by 'fantasy' standards so far. I see him using this power to counter other 'players' Varys, LF etc and intervening where he can. We can hope that this will be key to reuniting the Starks and their Wolves for the upcoming invasion. The Eyrie doesn't have a weirwood but it does have a weirwood throne, there may or may not be significance in this.

The Eyrie is also interesting as it was taken from the 'first men' by a "winged Knight", Ser Artys Arryn. It may be possible that Bran will be able to replicate such a feat?

I like the idea of Bran warging/riding a dragon the most. I like the idea that he can adopt Tyrions designs to a dragon. I hadn't considered Tyrions saddle designs before and when you look a who Tyrion got those designs from, it stars to make sense.

You mean aside from the fact that Bloodraven is scanning an entire continent (as far as we know, he could also be watching the east), and controlling hundreds of animals (thousands, probably), and most likely being the one keeping the Others out of the little cave? I don't really see the "Old Gods" directly intervening to stop them from entering, so it's probably Bloodraven being a bamf. Oh, and the fact that he allegedly uses glamours in Dunk/Egg to infiltrate the second Blackfyre Rebellion/whitehalls(?).

The dude's a bamf, and he's gonna teach Bran how to goat skinchange.

I decided to re-read the opening chapters of A Game of Thrones and came across this:

"What are you reading about?" he [Jon] asked.

"Dragons," Tyrion told him.

"What good is that? There are no more dragons," the boy said with the easy certainty of youth.

"So they say," Tyrion replied. "Sad, isn't it? When I was your age, I used to dream of having a dragon of my own."

"You did?" the boy said suspiciously. Perhaps he thought Tyrion was making fun of him.

"Oh, yes. Even a stunted, twisted, ugly little boy can look down over the world when he's seated on a dragon's back." Tyrion pushed the bearskin aside and climbed to his feet. "I used to start fires in the bowels of Casterly Rock and stare at the flames for hours, pretending they were dragonfire. Sometimes I'd imagine my father burning, sometimes my sister."

i. Tyrion was obviously talking about himself as a child, but it fits incredibly well with Bran. Only the chapter before, Jon described Bran's legs as "bent in ways that made [him] sick".

ii. The second part interested me (but is unrelated), since when Jaime slept on a weirwood he dreamt of being in the bowels of Casterly Rock and his only source of light for him and brienne was flaming swords... Oh, and his father and sister were there.

Archived