How would you make the North rich and/or powerful?

Or just use what you've got.

The north has a hell of a lot of monetary growth potential, but its simply not being exploited.

Charge the Umbers and Karstarks with bringing a herd of at least 50 mammoths south, from beyond the wall.

Between the two houses, they likely have around 5k men, including heavy horse.

They get to kill some wildlings, and build a market that will enrich their coffers.

The Umbers get the pelts, the Karstarks milk and Winterfell gets the ivory.

Small moves like that can do wonders, where military invasions are much too risky.

Or just use what you've got.

The north has a hell of a lot of monetary growth potential, but its simply not being exploited.

Charge the Umbers and Karstarks with bringing a herd of at least 50 mammoths south, from beyond the wall.

Between the two houses, they likely have around 5k men, including heavy horse.

They get to kill some wildlings, and build a market that will enrich their coffers.

The Umbers get the pelts, the Karstarks milk and Winterfell gets the ivory.

Small moves like that can do wonders, where military invasions are much too risky.

You mean breed the mammoths, right? Just killing 50 won't do jack for the Kingdom's finances.

You mean breed the mammoths, right? Just killing 50 won't do jack for the Kingdom's finances.

Of course.

Breeding and domesticity of sorts.

Hell, rope the giants into it as well if possible.

In exchange for pay in fruits/vegetables, create a workforce of builders.

Migrant workers of the north.

Glass, Jon mused, might be of use here. Castle Black needs its own glass gardens, like the ones at Winterfell. We could grow vegetables even in the deep of winter. The best glass came from Myr, but a good clear pane was worth its weight in spice, and green and yellow glass would not work as well. What we need is gold. With enough coin, we could buy ‘prentice glassblowers and glaziers in Myr, bring them north, offer them their freedom for teaching their art to some of our recruits. That would be the way to go about it.

Jon was right. Every single castle in the north should have some Myrish glass gardens.. food security is the first priority issue in the North.

Isn't the North already rich and powerful?

Yes to both.

But it has the potential to be top three, rather than middle of the road.

The north will never be the south, due to the drastic difference in weather.

But it could be pushed economically to rival the south, just based on the natural resources that are likely untapped.

The lumber industry, mining industry, fishing industry, ivory exporting, the richest milk base on the continent.

Hell, go to the other continents and bring back small populations of exotic animals to be released into the wild.

Snow leopards in the mountain ranges?

Ice foxes?

And trap and sell the furs later.

Historically, people follow opportunity.

Someone makes a killing doing something, people follow them hoping to replicate the success.

The Starks spearhead some industries, eventually more southrons share stories about their daft second cousins who went north and live like princes as mammilk merchants in Deepwood Den, the fastest growing settlement in the north.

Thats all it takes.

The Lannisters and Tyrells are probably richer, but who else? The Starks don't flash the cash, but that probably just means they have even more money saved up as they're not spending it.

The Arryns will be richer. So will the Tullys. Martells might well be richer given the exotic nature of Dornish goods. Baratheons might be richer given the fertility of the Stormlands (lots of rainfall).

Even without the Martells and Baratheons, the Starks are at best the 5th richest of the Great Houses (leaving out the Hightowers and Redwynes).

The Lannisters and Tyrells are probably richer, but who else? The Starks don't flash the cash, but that probably just means they have even more money saved up as they're not spending it.

The Tullys and the Arryns are almost definitely wealthier than the Starks. Possibly the Martells as well. The Targaryens were no doubt wealthier when they were in power. The Starks are wealthier than the Greyjoys and the Baratheons, but that's about it.

I'll be Ned Stark a few years before the series begins.

I'd start a Southern Ambitions 2.0. Marry Sansa to Joffrey, Robb to Margaery, Bran to Shireen, Arya to Trystan, Rickon will be decided later. If most of them worked great. I would do it gradually so as not to raise suspicion.

Next I would offer to the Greyjoys some land if possible near the coast, maybe promising Rickon to the land owner as a thank you. I'd offer for a squire from them too for future plans, maybe if I convinced the lord's second son to marry Asha. Actually I'm gonna borrow the idea of rebuilding Moat Cailin and give whoever owns the land the Greyjoys are getting to them, and support them with men from some of my barrowmen.

With these in place, I would build my fleet using wood from the north and Lannister and Crown money. The Ironborn wouldn't attack me because of the marriage and Theon. I would sail up and down the west to Lannisport and the Reach and Oldtown. Occasionally some will sail to the Free Cities. Protection provided by the Greyjoys.

Also, did I remember correctly when I say Winterfell's glass houses can grow things in Winter? If it is true I would double the amount of glass houses from the money earned from ships, after paying off my debts. I would then sell more food, and build more houses, and continue in a circle.

After I earned my money (boy I hope these marriages work out) I would build some guild houses. Just some basic stuff like singers, musicians, builders, no brothels though. I would hire experienced people good at their trade to train new apprentices. People would pay small coin for them and I would get money, after wages are deducted.

Next I would whisper into Roberts ear that because the Freys let people into the North, he should give some toll money to the North and/along with the Crown. Sure it will cause friction but who likes Freys anyway?.

Although this is in hindsight, and not directly answering to the OP, I would send trusted men of Winterfell to my bannermen, as consultants and also as spies or 'birds'. I'd hold council once/twice a year to see how things are.

I'd also try to make the Wall honourable again, but how I'd do that, I haven't a clue.

Finally, I'd build a tourney grounď with jousting, melèe , archery, etc. quarter way above the Neck. Host them once a year to increase tourism.

So yeah, that's it really, not much more to say.

P.S Did I mention I love the politics of aSoIaF? XD

I'll be Ned Stark a few years before the series begins.

I'd start a Southern Ambitions 2.0. Marry Sansa to Joffrey, Robb to Margaery, Bran to Shireen, Arya to Trystan, Rickon will be decided later. If most of them worked great. I would do it gradually so as not to raise suspicion.

Next I would offer to the Greyjoys some land if possible near the coast, maybe promising Rickon to the land owner as a thank you. I'd offer for a squire from them too for future plans, maybe if I convinced the lord's second son to marry Asha. Actually I'm gonna borrow the idea of rebuilding Moat Cailin and give whoever owns the land the Greyjoys are getting to them, and support them with men from some of my barrowmen.

With these in place, I would build my fleet using wood from the north and Lannister and Crown money. The Ironborn wouldn't attack me because of the marriage and Theon. I would sail up and down the west to Lannisport and the Reach and Oldtown. Occasionally some will sail to the Free Cities. Protection provided by the Greyjoys.

Also, did I remember correctly when I say Winterfell's glass houses can grow things in Winter? If it is true I would double the amount of glass houses from the money earned from ships, after paying off my debts. I would then sell more food, and build more houses, and continue in a circle.

After I earned my money (boy I hope these marriages work out) I would build some guild houses. Just some basic stuff like singers, musicians, builders, no brothels though. I would hire experienced people good at their trade to train new apprentices. People would pay small coin for them and I would get money, after wages are deducted.

Next I would whisper into Roberts ear that because the Freys let people into the North, he should give some toll money to the North and/along with the Crown. Sure it will cause friction but who likes Freys anyway?.

Although this is in hindsight, and not directly answering to the OP, I would send trusted men of Winterfell to my bannermen, as consultants and also as spies or 'birds'. I'd hold council once/twice a year to see how things are.

I'd also try to make the Wall honourable again, but how I'd do that, I haven't a clue.

Finally, I'd build a tourney grounď with jousting, melèe , archery, etc. quarter way above the Neck. Host them once a year to increase tourism.

So yeah, that's it really, not much more to say.

P.S Did I mention I love the politics of aSoIaF? XD

Absolutely agree on the marriages. Tourneys would probably cost more money than they'd earn, though.

Well I'm going to pick 75 years after the events of a song of ice and fire and everything ended ok and the Starks at least still rule the north independent or not. I'm the young new stark and I want to make the north more secure. First I would build forts and raise more masterly houses to control them and oversee them, more ports along both coasts and make some kind of real road system the makes travel easier; making distribution easier also. I would start trying to make northern wood a business along with furs as well. The wood is the real business. With the assumption that I hve as many unwed siblings as Robb I would try to marry sansa to a Hightower, tyrell, redwynne, it would have to be a port city or a major power to enhance the business and trade of northern goods to the south. Maybe it even gives me a war ally if it comes down to it. I would use this money and make a new cadet branch of stark with bran at moat caolin and completely refordify it into a very formidable caste. The new cadet branch of stark would be given big titles

And good lands instantly making the new Starks high lords of the north. I would marry that new stark to a northern lord maybe a Bolton girl if there was one, maybe a Dustin girl if there was one, maybe even a karstark. Obviously it strengthens the north to me which is important from not only the Starks as a powerful house or the fact tht we probably would have his wives house as well. That including the power of just winterfell and the masterly houses sworn to them and the other northern lords that are usually very loyal to the stark in winterfell. This leaves me with a little brother and a little sister left to make marriage alliances with. I would marry the girl to a river lord such as the mallisters or a blackwood, what ever house took over the Frey castle would be good as well. This would be great for trade to the south on the land with the new roads and the strong southern alliances. I'm remained with a younger brother. First I would try to see any houses going out in the male line in the north and if there was force the marriage making another stark cadet branch and automatically make him a high lord in the north. With all the core strength of the north I would go through all the common people and ask to take boys the age of 12 to be trained to be part of a strong centralized army in the north. They would be trained and captained by younger sons and some lords for several reasons. The central army wouldn't be huge it can't be in the north to be economically stable. I think the max number if men would be 7 thousand at any one time for this special centralized stark army. I would have a strong heavy infantry well trained and well armed of 3500. A well trained heavy northern cavalry of 2000. To top it off 1500 well trained bow men. I know 7000 doesn't seem like a lot but a well trained, well armed, and with a good commander that kinda army would be a very formidable force. For serving and dedicatin there lives to this army the common folk and the second sons and the bastards that forge it will be paid very well and when in mobilization the army will be quartered at the new moat caolin and in leave they will be the farmers and the people who populate the new lord of moat caolins villages and towns. I really believe with that kind of army and a good general you could smash almost any peasant levy army. I would try to really strengthen my universal power which at this point and look outside of the north for my bride. I would try to marry a daughter of a arryn first, a lannister if that wasn't possible, and lastly a tully woman so I can build the business of the north even Better and at best another very strong ally in war if it comes down to it. If I was lucky enough to have a son and a daughter I would try very hard to marry my daughter to the greyjoy heir. I would also try to push for alliance marriage for there heirs to marry. With my son u would wed him to if I could a magnar of skaggos woman. If that didn't work I would try to marry him to a girl from gone of the high lords of the north. This making the north one of the more prosperous places westeros.

I'm very late to ASOIAF, but one thing that baffles me is why other Houses would marry into the Starks w/o hesitation.Most of the other Houses want to own the North, but don't want to visit, let alone live there. Indeed, I can't see what argument Ned/Catelyn could make for Margaery's hand when Robb wouldn't be a King; he'd be Lord of that Godforsaken-backwards-unfertile-and-crazy cold landmass over there.

Also, w/o the King Robert connection, would any Lannister (Tywin, Cersei, Kevan) even consider Sansa as wifey material?

Educate me, pls.

(I'm talking about pre-GoT storyline)

After Ned stark becomes hand he starts to find out abt the bastards and danger King Roberts in from Lannisters. I keep him close stay by his side remove Lancil. Let Cercie rule while im w/him hunting. Stop him from gettin gutted by boar because i didnt allow him to drink so much. Then find out truth Joffrey n all off them aren't the kings heirs. Tell the king and KL about incestious affair have the gold cloaks arrest Jamie and Cersie. Jamie can die or take the black, Cercie can die lol jk i dont know what to do w.her. keep the children as wards.Take the lannisters titles lands and assets. Then i'd start to rebuild and get some dough flowing in with LF help. Start recruitting a new sect called Nights Watch Reservist basically the are soldiers who get drafted when needed to hold parts of the wall, and fill in during war and to start repairs and cutting the woods off the wall to keep it clear . To make money I'd also trade and sell across the narrow seas.

Let King Rob marry Margery, Make Stannis hand of the king he would be loyal and keep him safe also heir to storms end now that Renlys older give him dragon stone . Ned warden of the north, bryndyn tully warden of the west, Tullys the east

Give the Tywin and the Mountain to the martells for elia. possibly let kevan keep casterly rock or give it to Robs bastards after they take his name

then start making new aliances thru marriages maybe even let king ROB give his bastards his name so they may marry lesser houses for loyalty until he has true born children w/Margery to be heir to KL

I dont know how it will all change when Dany comes back maybe she'll be happy if they give her Dragon stone Maybe she can marry the king to he is part targaryn and the dragon has 3 heads w/Robs appetite he might like having 3 wives as long as they're not trying to kill him like Cercie was lol

Now that no war break out on some minor Lannister stuff he won't last if he rebels the other house won't go against the king and his brides family and the dornishman who want Lannister heads to.

So start preparing for winter and the others Jon snow tells his father and brothers about the others and the shape of the wall and with the NW reservist that enlist, start making it happen. Ned uses Stannis and Red woman at the wall for extra advisors. You may also use the wildings as reservist to fight the war and when its done they can go back to their villages when its safe. Just have ground rules and boundaries women can do the stewarding so men can do the building and training more unless a woman is able to spear or arrow very well then they can hold the wall

give iron born, iron islands of course,and give them cape krakken and flint cliffs and flints fingers to build their own castle

id let him wear his antcestrial crown of the iron island if he runs my navy to reave and pilage the narrow seas and to build our ships for port citys and bigger house ships so we would have a navy to defend any attacks from the sea.

stop the nonsense buckle down for the winter war Make sure all the kingdoms know how to burn wights and dragon glass for the others you also must chop the head off ur fallen and burn ..............thats all i got for now ,gotta re read and give it more thought i let u all know if i come up with more. can wait to read other ideas.

Archived