Opinions of Wheel of Time

The Iron Banker

I have just started reading book 3 of WoT and so far I love the series, even though the build-up is slow.

I like to anticipate an epic moment and when the moment strikes, I love it.

For those who have read it, will the series continue like this? Will there be more big events in upcoming books (incl book 3 Dragon Reborn), or less?

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers

It's long and slow in parts, but ultimately enjoyable. There are a good number of big heavy-hitting events that take place throughout, but it would be very spoilery of me to divulge them. Just keep reading.

It's a fun series, some of the books are slower than others, some of the storylines/character lines are less enjoyable than others (though that is something that is different for each reader). The series, before it was finished, was pretty full of fan theories like asoiaf is, though not nearly as extensive of course, so have fun with that too. The prophecies in WoT are very much real for the story, interpreting them is fun. And yes there are certainly more big moments, unexpected ones and of course ones that you see coming. Sanderson did a phenomenal job at finishing the series too, so thats a bonus.

The series, before it was finished, was pretty full of fan theories like asoiaf is, though not nearly as extensive of course, so have fun with that too.

You're kidding, right?

To the OP:

Yes, most books are like this, but not all. Towards the end, its better to think of some of the books as series wide analogues of the slow starts to the early books. They're leading up to an epic finale.

You're kidding, right?

To the OP:

Yes, most books are like this, but not all. Towards the end, its better to think of some of the books as series wide analogues of the slow starts to the early books. They're leading up to an epic finale.

I said not nearly as extensive but fans really got into it, I was too late to the forums to properly do so but I read some fun ones just before the last book was released. Again, it was no where near as extensive as asoiaf theories and predictions but it was interesting nonetheless :)

I said not nearly as extensive but fans really got into it, I was too late to the forums to properly do so but I read some fun ones just before the last book was released. Again, it was no where near as extensive as asoiaf theories and predictions but it was interesting nonetheless :)

That's because you came to it at the end, when most theories had been proven or disproven. I'd say WoT discussion on the whole is waaaay more extensive than for aSoIaF.

That's because you came to it at the end, when most theories had been proven or disproven. I'd say WoT discussion on the whole is waaaay more extensive than for aSoIaF.

This could be true, I do wish I could have been in on it from the beginning, and why I am so happy I found this place before everything is revealed, but even if I missed the predictions part, rereading WoT is far more interesting after discovering the forums.

book 3 is disappointing because there is no description, as promised in the title, of an ignivomous reptilian making its second passage through the momma hole.

This is silly. Everyone knows dragons hatch from eggs.

There is probably a WoT forum, would it be safe to look at theories without spoiling the entire series?

For all the criticism it gets, I really like it. I like a lot of the female characters even though people say that's where he's weakest.

I love Nynaeve even though her pride and anger sometimes get in her way of seeing the best way to go about something. I like Elayne for how practical she can be. I love the Aes Sedai (well, I like Siuan and Moiraine) and I like the magic in the series.

I'll be honest, I've been stuck in the middle of book seven for a year. It really does slow down, but I'm determined to finish it.

But if there was ever a literary character I've wanted to gut with a naked-lady dagger and strange with his own intestines, it's f**king Matrim Cauthon. People think Rand is the Sue but no, it's totally Mat. Worst part of the books. I hate him more than Joffrey and Ramsay because we're actually supposed to hate them, but I get the feeling that Jordan wanted to make Mat extra cool and gifted and edgy but he failed and made a horrible character. Rant over. :)

The Iron Banker - as a new fan of the series I would stay away from the WoT threads. The theories are pretty much endgame or at least last book stuff, so you will end up being spoilered.

LordStoneHeart - Don't hate on Mat! He does have to pay a price for his Mary Sue-ness to be fair. Not an easy price either!

I find Nynaeve supremely annoying, leave the braid alone! Why you have to tug it? Of the female characters I think Avhienda is my favorite.

Overall a great series and one that is worth a read just for its standing as a keystone series, despite some of the books pacing issues.

Fan theories for WOT were definitely a whole order of magnitude above aSoIaF, that was the nature of Jordan's work

Archived