Game of Thrones Eyes Spain

Westeros

Spanish fans, are you sitting down? Because according to James Hibberd at EW, the production is looking to film in Spain for season 5. While Hibberd’s coy about just what new region might be depicted there, the image heading the article might be taken as a hint… although as we’ve seen from the past production, it’s entirely possible that filming in Spain might be used to supplement footage shot elsewhere (just as the dragon scene in “The Laws of Gods and Men” was filmed in Iceland, as Byran Cogman revealed in our interview, despite all other Slaver’s Bay exteriors having been shot in Croatia).

Spain has a very long history as a popular filming location for its beautiful, semi-arid regions and the Moorish influence on its architecture. Andalusia—the name of the region deriving from the Arabic name, Al-Andalus—served as one of the primary filming locations for David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia, as well as a significant part of Sergio Leone’s westerns with Clint Eastwood, such as A Fist Full of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and also Anthony Mann’s El Cid. Suffice it to say, it will provide a lot of possibilities for Dorne, a region Martin has explicitly connected with Moorish Spain.

Visit the Site!

It seems more likely that it'll just be Dorne, IMO. As cool as it would be to see Volantis, I suspect we won't be seeing that at all in the series. Not if they plan on fitting most of AFFC and ADWD into a single season. They're really going to have to compress things.

Although, I suppose they could use Spain for both Dorne and Volantis. So...I don't know. Other than those two locations, I'm not sure what else it could really be. They have all the other major locations already covered with the current countries they're filming in.

I think it's primarily Dorne. But they can use it for new locales for, say, Meereen exterior scenes to give them some additional variety and options. As I noted in the post, the "Drogon snatches a goat" scene was filmed in Iceland, not Croatia, despite everything else being there. So they'll use multiple locations to represent a single one. No reason to suppose they won't do the same with Spain.

I agree that it most likely would be set in Dorne, however, I predict that the city of Volantis would probably be visual effects, and less physical setting, unless I am missing out on something.

A new country, Spain, the Andalucia region, for season 5? Oh gosh, where could that possibly be? What new locale with a warm, dry, sunny climate shows up in book 4? I'm just totally stumped. . . .

Can't wait for Dorne. I really like the Dorne chapters in AFfC.

As for the Iron Island chapters... meh.

I think it's primarily Dorne. But they can use it for new locales for, say, Meereen exterior scenes to give them some additional variety and options. As I noted in the post, the "Drogon snatches a goat" scene was filmed in Iceland, not Croatia, despite everything else being there. So they'll use multiple locations to represent a single one. No reason to suppose they won't do the same with Spain.

Holy crap! I would DIE if they filmed in the Alhambra and its beautiful courtyards. That is just perfection. If they go to Córdoba, there are gardens around the Mezquita that would be perfect for the pleasure gardens. This is so exiting and also good for the local economy.

It seems more likely that it'll just be Dorne, IMO. As cool as it would be to see Volantis, I suspect we won't be seeing that at all in the series. Not if they plan on fitting most of AFFC and ADWD into a single season. They're really going to have to compress things.

Although, I suppose they could use Spain for both Dorne and Volantis. So...I don't know. Other than those two locations, I'm not sure what else it could really be. They have all the other major locations already covered with the current countries they're filming in.

I think Volantis will be in. They need a hub area for all the people on their way to Dany, and depending on where things go in TWOW Volantis could be vitally important. I mean they gave us Yunkai, when they easily could have merged it with Meereen if they really wanted, I think we'll get Volantis. Especially as it has specifically been mentioned on the show. Most things that are specifically mentioned appear in the flesh at some point.

As an Spanish guy, I could not be happier right now.

I can confirm you that here, a country with almost 50 millions people living in, GoT is the maybe the most popular TV series, yo the amount of info and scoops about the filming that we could provide you would be amazing.

I think Volantis will be in. They need a hub area for all the people on their way to Dany, and depending on where things go in TWOW Volantis could be vitally important. I mean they gave us Yunkai, when they easily could have merged it with Meereen if they really wanted, I think we'll get Volantis. Especially as it has specifically been mentioned on the show. Most things that are specifically mentioned appear in the flesh at some point.

Hmm, you make a convincing argument. I hope you're right. I'd love to see their take on Volantis even if it's only for a single episode.

Archived