Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

By tradition, a new foreshadowing must be offered at each incarnation of the MoF threads.

“On the morrow we prepare once more to sail,” the king was saying. “Fill our casks anew with spring water, take every sack of grain and cask of beef, and as many sheep and goats as we can carry. The wounded who are still hale enough to pull an oar will row. The rest shall remain here, to help hold these isles for their new lords. Torwold and the Red Oarsman will soon be back with more provisions. Our decks will stink of pigs and chickens on the voyage east, but we’ll return with dragons.”

When?” The voice was Lord Rodrik’s. “When shall we return, Your Grace? A year? Three years? Five? Your dragons are a world away, and autumn is upon us.” The Reader walked forward, sounding all the hazards. “Galleys guard the Redwyne Straits. The Dornish coast is dry and bleak, four hundred leagues of whirlpools, cliffs, and hidden shoals with hardly a safe landing anywhere. Beyond wait the Stepstones, with their storms and their nests of Lysene and Myrish pirates. If a thousand ships set sail, three hundred may reach the far side of the narrow sea... and then what? Lys will not welcome us, nor will Volantis. Where will you find fresh water, food? The first storm will scatter us across half the earth.”

A smile played across Euron’s blue lips. “I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last. I have taken the Silence on longer voyages than this, and ones far more hazardous. Have you forgotten? I have sailed the Smoking Sea and seen Valyria.”

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

I am no bible expert (never read it). Is this some simple homage or is there a deeper meaning behind?

One man had an arm black with flies from fingers to elbow, and red and white beneath. Dany reined in beneath him. "What did this one do?"

"He raised a hand against his owner."

"What did they [decapitated Volantene slaves] do?" Tyrion inquired innocently.

The knight glanced at the inscriptions. "The woman was a slave who raised a hand to her mistress."

The former is before Dany sacks Astapor with her new army of Unsullied. I think Dany is definitely going to visit Volantis. She could likely get the slave soldiers of Voltanis, the tiger cloaks, to join her like she did the Unsullied, the slave soldiers of Astapor.

“On the morrow we prepare once more to sail,” the king was saying. “Fill our casks anew with spring water, take every sack of grain and cask of beef, and as many sheep and goats as we can carry. The wounded who are still hale enough to pull an oar will row. The rest shall remain here, to help hold these isles for their new lords. Torwold and the Red Oarsman will soon be back with more provisions. Our decks will stink of pigs and chickens on the voyage east, but we’ll return with dragons.”

When?” The voice was Lord Rodrik’s. “When shall we return, Your Grace? A year? Three years? Five? Your dragons are a world away, and autumn is upon us.” The Reader walked forward, sounding all the hazards. “Galleys guard the Redwyne Straits. The Dornish coast is dry and bleak, four hundred leagues of whirlpools, cliffs, and hidden shoals with hardly a safe landing anywhere. Beyond wait the Stepstones, with their storms and their nests of Lysene and Myrish pirates. If a thousand ships set sail, three hundred may reach the far side of the narrow sea... and then what? Lys will not welcome us, nor will Volantis. Where will you find fresh water, food? The first storm will scatter us across half the earth.”

A smile played across Euron’s blue lips. “I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last. I have taken the Silence on longer voyages than this, and ones far more hazardous. Have you forgotten? I have sailed the Smoking Sea and seen Valyria.”

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

I am no bible expert (never read it). Is this some simple homage or is there a deeper meaning behind?

To that I'll add that the Last Storm was the name of the battle where Argilac, the last Storm King, was killed in battle against the Targaryens with his house going extinct. I think Euron, the last Iron King, will die in battle with House Greyjoy going extinct.

One man had an arm black with flies from fingers to elbow, and red and white beneath. Dany reined in beneath him. "What did this one do?"

The knight glanced at the inscriptions. "The woman was a slave who raised a hand to her mistress."

The former is before Dany sacks Astapor with her new army of Unsullied. I think Dany is definitely going to visit Volantis. She could likely get the slave soldiers of Voltanis, the tiger cloaks, to join her like she did the Unsullied, the slave soldiers of Astapor.

To that I'll add that the Last Storm was the name of the battle where Argilac, the last Storm King, was killed in battle against the Targaryens with his house going extinct. I think Euron, the last Iron King, will die in battle with House Greyjoy going extinct.

Can you point me to the source for the name of the battle, please?

Euron has a shot at conquering the Stormlands, but shouldn't visit Shipwrecker bay's castle.

Euron visited Rhaella's bedroom while Aerys was busy burning people.

Jokes aside, I feel that there's something into that and wonder if there's some character who says something about storms. At the moment I don't recall anything, but I get the feeling that something's out there. Dunno why.

And also, Fire Eater's post.

Does Euron plan on also making the trip, either in disguise, or as a sort of shadow to his brother? He says "we" a lot in that speech.

The last Storm - the Stormcrows - the Stormking fighting against the sea, and stealing his daughter (Storm's End). Euron is definitely into some strange shit, I think its curious that he both dismisses the Drowned God to the Damphair, but also insists that he worships thousands of gods.

And later on, a massive storm does significantly scatter Victarion and the Iron Fleet. Then they pick up Moquorro, to what end we still do not know...

Yes, there are many hints pointing the sack of Volantis by Dany/Tyrion/Victarion.

“On the way down from the Sorrows to Selhorys, we thrice glimpsed riders moving south along the river’s eastern shore. Dothraki. Once they were so close we could hear the bells tinkling in their braids, and sometimes at night their fires could be seen beyond the eastern hills. We passed warships as well, Volantene river galleys crammed with slave soldiers. The triarchs fear an attack upon Selhorys, plainly.”

Tyrion understood that quick enough. Alone amongst the major river towns, Selhorys stood upon the eastern bank of the Rhoyne, making it much more vulnerable to the horselords than its sister towns across the river. Even so, it is a small prize. If I were khal, I would feint at Selhorys, let the Volantenes rush to defend it, then swing south and ride hard for Volantis itself.

Tyrion had read much and more of dragons through the years. The greater part of those accounts were idle tales and could not be relied on, and the books that Illyrio had provided them were not the ones he might have wished for. What he really wanted was the complete text of The Fires of the Freehold, Galendro’s history of Valyria. No complete copy was known to Westeros, however; even the Citadel’s lacked twenty-seven scrolls. They must have a library in Old Volantis, surely. I may find a better copy there, if I can find a way inside the Black Walls to the city’s heart.

“The Old Blood will have their dogs and children voting before any freedman. No, it will be Belicho, or perhaps Alios, but either way it will be war. Or so they think.”

“And what do you think?” Ser Jorah asked.

Good, thought Tyrion. The right question.

“Oh, I think it will be war as well, but not the war they want.” The old woman leaned forward, her black eyes gleaming. “I think that red R’hllor has more worshipers in this city than all the other gods together. Have you heard Benerro preach?”

“Last night.”

“Benerro can see the morrow in his flames,” the widow said. “Triarch Malaquo tried to hire the Golden Company, did you know? He meant to clean out the red temple and put Benerro to the sword. He dare not use tiger cloaks. Half of them worship the Lord of Light as well. Oh, these are dire days in Old Volantis, even for wrinkled old widows.

The crossbowman was fumbling for another quarrel as the dragon’s teeth closed around his neck. The man wore the mask of a Brazen Beast, the fearsome likeness of a tiger. As he dropped his weapon to try and pry apart Viserion’s jaws, flame gouted from the tiger’s mouth.

Tyrion will ride Viserion and Viserion often foreshadows Tyrion’s future deeds. Here, Viserion gives the tiger mask the ability of fire-breathing, which I interpret as the Tiger Cloaks joining Team Dany. Note that the slaves have collars around their necks and Viserion rips open that collar (along with most of the neck).

As the Widow of Waterfront hinted, Benerro knows much more than he reveals. Tyrion will make use of R’hllor worshipers though he is aware of the fact that they are a dangerous and unpredictable lot, fickle as a flame. He is right about it. The red religion will be far more dangerous than Dany’s enemies to her cause.

Benerro jabbed a finger at the moon, made a fist, spread his hands wide. When his voice rose in a crescendo, flames leapt from his fingers with a sudden whoosh and made the crowd gasp. The priest could trace fiery letters in the air as well. Valyrian glyphs. Tyrion recognized perhaps two in ten; one was Doom, the other Darkness.

Shouts erupted from the crowd. Women were weeping and men were shaking their fists. I have a bad feeling about this. The dwarf was reminded of the day Myrcella sailed for Dorne and the riot that boiled up as they made their way back to the Red Keep.

Haldon Halfmaester had spoken of using the red priest to Young Griff’s advantage, Tyrion recalled. Now that he had seen and heard the man himself, that struck him as a very bad idea. He hoped that Griff had better sense. Some allies are more dangerous than enemies.

Those are awesome pulls on the Tyrion/Red Priest topic. Just awesome.

Started my 4th reread last week, and already am chomping at the bit to get to Tyrion's odyssey to unpack the Illryio/Esses backgrounds.

An idea. According to the bible, Jesus is the one who said he is the Alpha and the Omega and he is known to walk on the water miraculously.

Euron can be called the opposite of Jesus (Antichrist?). So, if we revert the miracle of Jesus, Euron will row his longships on land.

Victarion chuckled. “This Lady Glover plays you for a fool, niece. Sea Dragon Point and the Stony Shore are ours. Why hand back anything? Winterfell is burnt and broken, and the Young Wolf rots headless in the earth. We will have all the north, as your lord father dreamed.”

When longships learn to row through trees, perhaps. A fisherman may hook a grey leviathan, but it will drag him down to death unless he cuts it loose. The north is too large for us to hold, and too full of northmen.”

He will apply this strategy for his attack to Oldtown.

“Wylla. Yes.” The king grinned. “She must have been a rare wench if she could make Lord Eddard Stark forget his honor, even for an hour. You never told me what she looked like…”

Ned’s mouth tightened in anger. “Nor will I. Leave it be, Robert, for the love you say you bear me. I dishonored myself and I dishonored Catelyn, in the sight of gods and men.”

Ned’s dishonoring himself is about hiding Jon from Robert. The mention of gods gives us the idea that he confessed everything in front of a heart tree.

Lord Eddard seemed much younger this time. His hair was brown, with no hint of grey in it, his head bowed. “… let them grow up close as brothers, with only love between them,” he prayed, “and let my lady wife find it in her heart to forgive …”

Bran will see more to this in WoW. I wonder if he prayed in the south before returning to KL to reconcile with Robert?

They emerged through a trap at the back of a stable, having come perhaps a distance of three blocks under Rhaenys’s Hill. A horse whickered in his stall when Tyrion let the door slam shut. Varys blew out the candle and set it on a beam and Tyrion gazed about. A mule and three horses occupied the stalls. He waddled over to the piebald gelding and took a look at his teeth. “Old,” he said, “and I have my doubts about his wind.”

“He is not a mount to carry you into battle, true,” Varys replied, “but he will serve, and attract no notice. As will the others. And the stableboys see and hear only the animals.”

Such claims in ASOIAF mean danger. A killer disguised as a stableboy will slay Varys. Besides, Varys mentioned animals, not horses. Varys is knows as a spider and he is a secret dragon as well. So the eyes of the stableboy will be fixed on him.

“And Arya, well… Ned’s visitors would oft mistake her for a stableboy if they rode into the yard unannounced.”

Varys will mistake Arya for a stableboy and feel her Needle. Not to mention, Varys became Ned’s visitor in the Black Cells.

"You have my word, Lord Snow. I will be a proper wildling princess for your queen."

She is not my queen, he might have said. If truth be told, the day of her departure cannot come too fast for me. And if the gods are good, she will take Melisandre with her.

Jon is thinking about Selyse, but in the right context it canbe taken as Val. I think Val will depart north with Melisandre to find the supposed servants of the Great Other BR and Bran. I don't know if Jon will come. But the last line "And if the gods are good, she will take Melisandre wither her" could point to Val killing Melisandre.

They emerged through a trap at the back of a stable, having come perhaps a distance of three blocks under Rhaenys’s Hill. A horse whickered in his stall when Tyrion let the door slam shut. Varys blew out the candle and set it on a beam and Tyrion gazed about. A mule and three horses occupied the stalls. He waddled over to the piebald gelding and took a look at his teeth. “Old,” he said, “and I have my doubts about his wind.”

“He is not a mount to carry you into battle, true,” Varys replied, “but he will serve, and attract no notice. As will the others. And the stableboys see and hear only the animals.”

Such claims in ASOIAF mean danger. A killer disguised as a stableboy will slay Varys. Besides, Varys mentioned animals, not horses. Varys is knows as a spider and he is a secret dragon as well. So the eyes of the stableboy will be fixed on him.

“And Arya, well… Ned’s visitors would oft mistake her for a stableboy if they rode into the yard unannounced.”

Varys will mistake Arya for a stableboy and feel her Needle. Not to mention, Varys became Ned’s visitor in the Black Cells.

Varys has already been overheard by Arya without his knowing it too.

"You have my word, Lord Snow. I will be a proper wildling princess for your queen."

She is not my queen, he might have said. If truth be told, the day of her departure cannot come too fast for me. And if the gods are good, she will take Melisandre with her.

Jon is thinking about Selyse, but in the right context it canbe taken as Val. I think Val will depart north with Melisandre to find the supposed servants of the Great Other BR and Bran. I don't know if Jon will come. But the last line "And if the gods are good, she will take Melisandre wither her" could point to Val killing Melisandre.

or that the wildling princess, Val, will be his queen.

In a Clash of Kings, when Roose is contemplating betraying the Starks, he decides to hunt for wolves and comes back with nine dead animals. Seven adults and two pups.

So far, we have seven adult Starks die in the course of the story.

1. Rickard

2. Brandon

3. Lyanna

4. Eddard

5. Robb [at 16, technically an adult in Westeros]

6. (Catelyn)

7. Benjen*

*I believe him to be dead, as Mormont's raven seems to confirm it when Mormont and Jon Snow discuss Benjen's fate. Assuming the raven is indeed warged by Bran or Bloodraven.

That leaves the pups. I think their death, foreshadows two more Starks to die; specifically the children. That could be either Sansa, Arya, Bran or Rickon, since none of them are of legal age.

“It’s written down in the White Book. All of it, save what to do with Cersei.”

Ser Ilyn drew a finger across his throat.

“No,” said Jaime. “Tommen has lost a brother, and the man he thought of as his father. If I were to kill his mother, he would hate me for it... and that sweet little wife of his would find a way to turn that hatred to the benefit of Highgarden.”

I think after Cersei loses her remaining children and the Tyrells, Jaime will kill Cersei.

As if Euron being Daario was not obvious enough, here's an interesting passage from A Feast for Crows:

"Only a fortnight ago some of those bloody bastards captured a Tyroshi merchantman in the straits.They killed her crew, donned their clothes, and used the dyes they found to color their whiskers half a hundred colors. Once inside the walls they meant to set the port ablaze and open a gate from within whilst we lit the fire. Might have worked, but they ran afoul of the Lady of the Tower, and her oarsman has a Tyroshi wife. When he saw all the green and purple beards he hailed them in the tongue of Tyrosh, and not one of them had the words to hail him back."

What are the odds the Ironborn got this idea from Euron?

Does anyone think this foreshadows Stannis's survival...

"... I do not care how seasoned a warrior you think you are, Stannis, that host of yours won't survive the first charge of my vanguard."

"We shall see, brother." Some of the light seemed to go out of the world when Stannis slid his sword back into its scabbard. "Come the dawn, we shall see."

Catelyn IV, Clash

Does anyone think this foreshadows Stannis's survival...

I think that shows the kinslaying of Stannis :)

The mud was such a dark brown it appeared almost black, but there were swathes of golden sand as well, upthrust rocks both grey and red, and tangles of black and green seaweed. Storks stalked through the tidal pools and left their footprints all around them, and crabs scuttled across the surface of shallow waters.

The upthrust rock both grey and red is the stone dragon (Jon Snow) who is both Stark (grey) and Targaryen (red).

Tangle of black and green seaweed is a symbol of the upcoming Second Dance of Dragons where Team Dany will be the new blacks and Team fAegon will be the new greens. They will be entangled in a tight and bloody battle.

The Stork which left its footprint all around them is Arya Stark, who was dragged all over the Riverlands including Saltpans which is very close to the Quiet Isle where Brienne was headed and she was chasing her footprints unknowingly.

I am not sure about the dark brown mud and the stripes of golden sand. And also the crabs. Perhaps the crabs might be related to this:

There’s three kinds of crabs in there. Red crabs and spider crabs and conquerors.

Red crab is Stannis, spider crab is fAegon and conqueror crab is Dany. And shallow waters represent Joffrey Waters (now dead), Tommen Waters and Myrcella Waters, which are fading away quickly because the tides turned.

The tide was going out now, and swiftly. The water that separated the island from the shore was receding, leaving behind a broad expanse of glistening brown mudflats dotted by tidal pools that glittered like golden coins in the afternoon sun.

Archived