NHL 2014-15 - The Puck Drops Here

Jabronius Maximus

You seem to have forgotten what happened the last time a league-respected veteran left the Bruins for the Avs to chase his first cup... :-P

Unfortunately I remember it all to well. I actually think wanting to get Bourque a cup was the extra little push that helped the Avs win it all in 01.

Unfortunately I remember it all to well. I actually think wanting to get Bourque a cup was the extra little push that helped the Avs win it all in 01.

Yeah, except that the Bourque era Avs were of a different quality than the current roster. Varlamov ain't no Roy, for instance. As good as this current team is, they'll still have a hell of a time getting past Chicago, St. Louis, and I would argue Minnesota, despite last year's regular season finish.

Yeah, except that the Bourque era Avs were of a different quality than the current roster.

That's for sure. That Avs team had Roy, Sakic, Forsberg, and Bourque.

Iginla will bring a much needed veteran presence to the current Avs, who are quite young. I think it was a great pick-up for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of ashamed to see what the opinion of some fans up here is. On this tsn franchise starter vote, people voted for Jaime Benn over Malkin (51-49%) as the player around whom they'd rather start a franchise (it's a bracket style tourney). I guess people would rather have a Good Canadian Kid (thumbs up!) instead of a superstar...

I'm kind of ashamed to see what the opinion of some fans up here is. On this tsn franchise starter vote, people voted for Jaime Benn over Malkin (51-49%) as the player around whom they'd rather start a franchise (it's a bracket style tourney). I guess people would rather have a Good Canadian Kid (thumbs up!) instead of a superstar...

That's Don Cherry level ridiculous.

That's Don Cherry level ridiculous.

Hockey's an inherently conservative sport, which is ridiculous in this day and age. Around here, for every person who rightfully bashes the guy's opinions, there are 10 who completely agree with his conservative views. To summarize a major one, apparently players who show some flash and personality in their game aren't respecting the game of hockey, and are somehow lowered a notch (prime example is Subban, also Kane and Malkin). Meanwhile you have stonefaced Toews, who gets all the praise in the world. :dunno:

Glad the Devils resigned Andy Greene. Reportedly 5 years for 25 million. He's a very underrated player. I'm sure many people that don't follow the Devils aren't real familiar with him, but he's a very solid defenseman.

Couple friends who are Devils fans are ecstatic about this signing, going so far as to say he may get the captaincy next season. To me he seems like a great shutdown guy. Good on Lou to lock him up long term.

--

In other news, the Habs seem to be doing everything in their power to make Subban leave (or are showing some level of disrespect). In response to his camp's demand of $8.5mil per year, they offered him $5.25mil on a one year deal. Arbitration's on Friday, and if it gets to that, he'll get a one year deal. This means we'll have this same drama next year, at which point he can just take another one year deal and wait it out until he's a UFA. I hope the Oilers are somehow in a good enough situation by then to make him an offer, although that's just a pipe dream a man can dream though

• 1 month later...

Pretty shocking report out of Finland today. Teemu tore Boudreau to shreds. 'If he weren't coaching, I'd still be playing'. Ouch. And at some point, he considered playing for the Kings. The Kings. Here's all I could find (translated of course)

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 49s

>Season started well, but after that my time on ice declined, just like previous year. He didnt keep any of his promises."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 48s

>He even said he wants to see me scoring my 700th goal."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 1m

>BB promised (b4 season) that I will play 1st PP unit and 2nd PP unit and get average of 15min ice time"

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 3m

>He also says he had doubts about resigning to Ducks in 2013, because of BB. Considered going to either LA Kings or yes, Winnipeg Jets.

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 5m

>"I got to play with Getzlaf the next four games, scored two goals and four points. After that everything went back to way it was before."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 6m

>He met with BB after olympics: "I told him that Ive I cant succeed in that, you can totally forget me."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 8m

>... youre going to need me. Nobody else wants to win as much as me. It felt really good."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 9m

>"He tried to skate away but I just yelled I wasnt finish. I told Boudreau if you ever want to win something in a playoffs"

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 10m

>"I ask which group and he said GM and scouts. I yelled him "whow, what kind of a coach you are if you dont even decide lineup!."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 10m

>"Be honest for one time and answer.! He just stammered that decisions we not his alone and it was a group decision."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 11m

>"he has not respected me one bit. You never put me on ice when we play 5on3 of 4on4 or when we are one goal behind in the end of the game."

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 11m

>" I yelled him right to his face what I was thinking. I ask what he has against me. I told him that since he became our coach"

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 12m

>After BB decided to scratch him for game 4 against Dallas: "I waited after everyone else had left the ice and skated to Boudreau"

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 13m

>You are as good as you your coach wants you to be. If we had any other coach, Id still be playing. -Teemu

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 14m

>It would have been wrong if we had won the Stanley Cup with coach like that. #teemu

> Replied to 0 times

>Juha Hiitelä @jhiitela · 15m

>Ok Here comes couple of tweets about Teemu and his relationship with Bruce Boudreau. All from Teemus new book

Well it looks like the Habs have come to their senses. 8 year deal for Subban, although I'm not sure of the cap hit (probably 8+mil per year).

Edit: $9mil per. Subby got even more than he asked for!

I live in Montreal (but i was born and raised in Toronto so i'm a Leafs fan) and it was simply hilarious to see how quickly Canadiens fans changed their tune on this.

Before the signing : I wouldn't give more than 7 million, he's being a diva and not a team player, bla bla bla

After the signing : What a great price for him, locks him up long time and obviously the front office thought he was worth it the whole time.

Sigh....

I live in Montreal (but i was born and raised in Toronto so i'm a Leafs fan) and it was simply hilarious to see how quickly Canadiens fans changed their tune on this.

Before the signing : I wouldn't give more than 7 million, he's being a diva and not a team player, bla bla bla

After the signing : What a great price for him, locks him up long time and obviously the front office thought he was worth it the whole time.

Sigh....

Reminds me of the time around the Halak trade. I remember people were calling for Price to be shipped off, but once Halak was dealt, the tune of the same fans changed to 'It was the right call, Price is the goalie of the future, etc etc'.

Edit: and welcome to the NHL thread! Noticed you're a first time poster here. These threads aren't active at all in the off season, as I'm sure you've noticed.

Reminds me of the time around the Halak trade. I remember people were calling for Price to be shipped off, but once Halak was dealt, the tune of the same fans changed to 'It was the right call, Price is the goalie of the future, etc etc'.

Edit: and welcome to the NHL thread! Noticed your a first time poster here. These threads aren't active at all in the off season, as I'm sure you've noticed.

Well my old account had 800 posts or so, but yeah i never came into the entertainment/off topic section until this new account lol

Definitely will be in here a lot more.

And yep, i remember that. Everybody was calling Halak their savior...until he got traded.

Archived