NBC's Hannibal III: Swimming in blood and emptiness

Tony Soprano

TV's over. We've reached Nirvana. Shut down everything else.

Okay, so:

This is one of the best episodes I've seen on TV. If this show hadn't been renewed for Season 3, I would have loved this finale and would have cried even more than I did an hour ago.

The dinner, henceforth known as the Red Dinner, was definitely the best thing I've seen on TV since Ozymandias. The acting from everyone was top notch, and I really do hope either Mads or Hugh get nominated for an Emmy this year. Come on, it's one of the best TV shows on the air, it deserves some recognition. It could work wonders with the ratings.

So, pretty much the entire cast got stabbed by Hannibal. Everyone except Freddie, that is. I...don't know how I feel about that. I think it's fair that she gets her own spin-off. "Freddie Lounds: Cancer".

Seriously, my jaw hit the floor when I saw Abigail. I know Bryan Fuller left subtle hints and clues that she might be alive, I always thought that was just to give us a sense of false hope, and maybe make us think Hannibal can be merciful too. But he's really not. And neither is Bryan Fuller, that sadistic bastard. Abigail came back, and she...went back to being dead in like, 5 minutes. Goddamn it, I cried, I really did. The scene where she and Will are just...bleeding over each other was one of the most emotional things I've seen on TV.

Hannibal could definitely teach Littlefinger a thing or two about weaving plots and deceiving everyone around you. I just can't get past what he must have done to Abigail the whole time she was there. He keeps getting away with brainwashing people, it's insufferable. Especially in this case. Abigail was right up there with him as my favorite character in Season One, and I was so heartbroken when I thought he had killed her, even though it was off-screen. And now he did it again, the bastard. Ugh, I'm suffering from split loyalties and indecision thanks to this finale.

Thanks a lot, Fuller.

Abigail returning wasn't really a surprise - the fact they then killed her for real (I mean how many times can they try and kill her?) was the real shocker.

I totally agree that Mads deserves some awards for this season. Then again it never really helped Breaking Bad that much until the streaming reruns hit critical mass. I think an award or two would help NBC in keeping it's vanity project going however.

There's a lot of great TV at the moment but I think Hannibal is the most stylish and probably has the best actor.

Since Will called the emergency services before he entered and Alana had called the police, I think it is possible (maybe not probable) that they all made it. Police could have arrived 3'' after Hannibal left the house for all we know.

I would be disappointed if Jack didn't die though. Will will survive, Alana might but I'd prefer just one out of three to survive. Not because I dislike any of the characters but just...it would feel cheap. I don't want to start the next season hearing that all these people survived this veritable killing machine.

Excellent episode. This has to be one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen.

Random thoughts,

Abigail is most likely dead, and probably is Alana Bloom. The Hannibal Will bromance started with Abigail's throat getting cut IIRC(?) I like how Hannibal finished it in the same fashion.

The police appear to be taking their time between Alana's call and Hannibal leaving.

The look on Hannibal's face when he detects Freddie (or is it Freddy?) As others have said.

This series is just a triumph. A pure tour de force by everyone involved. This is the best thing on TV by a mile (wish GoT was even half as good).

I hope they get some awards. If their was any justice Mads would be nominated and win an emmy.

One thing that I was surprised that didn't happen, Hannibal taking care of Crawford. I really thought that after Jack's wife pleaded for his life, he would save Jack before riding of into the sunset. But he just... left.

I totally agree that Mads deserves some awards for this season. Then again it never really helped Breaking Bad that much until the streaming reruns hit critical mass. I think an award or two would help NBC in keeping it's vanity project going however.

There's a lot of great TV at the moment but I think Hannibal is the most stylish and probably has the best actor.

I've been campaigning for him to play Euron on GoT. His schedule wouldn't allow it most likely, but it would be awesome if he could take part.

I love how the show has come full circle. A phone call - " they know ". And Abigail got her throat cut again.

I would be disappointed if Jack didn't die though. Will will survive, Alana might but I'd prefer just one out of three to survive. Not because I dislike any of the characters but just...it would feel cheap. I don't want to start the next season hearing that all these people survived this veritable killing machine.

I think Jack's survival is pretty much a given at this point. His injury is basically a flesh wound compared to everybody else's. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure this is the last we'll see of Alana and Abigail, even though I hope I'm wrong, especially about the latter. But come on, he cut her throat, so...hoping against hope.

One thing that I was surprised that didn't happen, Hannibal taking care of Crawford. I really thought that after Jack's wife pleaded for his life, he would save Jack before riding of into the sunset. But he just... left.

I don't think Bella's pleas really did anything. I mean, even after she talked to Hannibal, he still stabbed her husband in the neck. I'm surprised he didn't finish the job, but I suppose that fits the cliffhanger ending they showed for the rest of the characters.

PS: I think " In the pantry " is the single best line in this episode. The way he said it...so damn menacing.

It was strange and eerie to see Hannibal breathing hard.

And kinda sad and sick when he meant to "surprise" Will with Abigail. WTF was he expecting, that they'd be murder dads to a murder child and rove around like Lestat, Louis, and Claudia? .... Yeah I half-thought he was going to kiss Will as he hugged him post-gutting. Nice parallel to when he was holding Will's head up last season when Will was pleading "don't lie to me."

Sooooo half the characters are lying on the floor bleeding to death,while Hannibal walks out no fucks given!!

I loved this episode it was amazing...It's gonna be a long hiatus :frown5:

If someone has to die,I'd rather it would be Alana...We'll see :dunno:

PS. Tony Soprano great idea,we all should call it the Red Dinner just like the Red Wedding :laugh:

I don't think Bella's pleas really did anything. I mean, even after she talked to Hannibal, he still stabbed her husband in the neck. I'm surprised he didn't finish the job, but I suppose that fits the cliffhanger ending they showed for the rest of the characters.

Well, I though that after the fight, Hannibal would stop Jack's bleeding before going off into the sunset, because Bella asked for it. Although not finishing him off when he had the chance probably counts as well.

Sooooo half the characters are lying on the floor bleeding to death,while Hannibal walks out no fucks given!!

I loved this episode it was amazing...It's gonna be a long hiatus.

Walking out and stealing Will's jacket off Alana!

Not sure if it was just the angle but I thought Hannibal looked effin' miserable when he walked out into the rain.

Not sure if it was just the angle but I thought Hannibal looked effin' miserable when he walked out into the rain.

I totally missed that :o

He was just jilted at the altar. Of course he's miserable :)

You know whose misery is possible but not certain? Du Maurier. I couldn't tell if she was smug or scared shitless.

That was Will's jacket? Haha, that bastard

Also, where did he stole his doctorate? Judging from his handscript, I can for sure tell that he is not a doctor.

And kinda sad and sick when he meant to "surprise" Will with Abigail. WTF was he expecting, that they'd be murder dads to a murder child and rove around like Lestat, Louis, and Claudia? .... Yeah I half-thought he was going to kiss Will as he hugged him post-gutting. Nice parallel to when he was holding Will's head up last season when Will was pleading "don't lie to me."

I think that's what he was always hoping for. Ever since Will's deception started, Hannibal was duped into believing he had finally found a friend the likes of which he had never seen before - someone who understood him and wasn't afraid of his secrets. Do a re-watch of the last few episodes and you'll see that Hannibal is genuinely happy when Will reveals that he killed Freddie, or better yet, Randall. The whole ending is a break up of sorts. Will lied to Hannibal, and didn't come clean when he was given the chance, so Hannibal didn't really see an alternative than cutting ties with him.

I loved the last episode. I would almost call this one of my favourite shows, except....

I'm still really annoyed by that whole "new case per episode" format. Okay, well it's not as bad as, say, with CSI as it's not in every episode, and some cases span a few episodes. Plus there's still continuity, unlike with most crime solving shows. But still, it has that tackiness to it. The mural killer, for example, from earlier this season, was basically a small side plot and afterthought even though he killed more people than all the other serial killers this season including Hannibal. And the way he was found was so quick and cheap and easy, it leaves you wondering how the hell he got away with his hundreds of kills before that without anyone even noticing. Oh, but he only gets noticed when our "dream team" catches one of his cases. Yeah, that kind of stuff is annoying as hell.

With that said, the filming, acting, direction, and dialogue in this show are all superb, and I can't wait for season 3! I just hope they have less of those cheesy side-tracked cases in it, and more focus on the primary story.

It was strange and eerie to see Hannibal breathing hard.

I'd have happily watched that as a synopsis of season 3 :)

That's what I found amusing was how I actually felt sorry for Hannibal after that whole bloodbath. Great acting.

I loved the last episode. I would almost call this one of my favourite shows, except....

I'm still really annoyed by that whole "new case per episode" format. Okay, well it's not as bad as, say, with CSI as it's not in every episode, and some cases span a few episodes. Plus there's still continuity, unlike with most crime solving shows. But still, it has that tackiness to it. The mural killer, for example, from earlier this season, was basically a small side plot and afterthought even though he killed more people than all the other serial killers this season including Hannibal. And the way he was found was so quick and cheap and easy, it leaves you wondering how the hell he got away with his hundreds of kills before that without anyone even noticing. Oh, but he only gets noticed when our "dream team" catches one of his cases. Yeah, that kind of stuff is annoying as hell.

With that said, the filming, acting, direction, and dialogue in this show are all superb, and I can't wait for season 3! I just hope they have less of those cheesy side-tracked cases in it, and more focus on the primary story.

But the last time they did anything like that was with the animal-man. I think there's only really been a handful of killer of the week episodes and most of them was Hannibal pissing about.

I totally missed the jacket thing. What a bastard.

I did notice however that his last action of the episode was closing his eyes, leaning his head back- looking to wade into the calm of the stream, perhaps?

Yeah, I;m sure that was a callback to his final conversation with Will.

Archived