NBC's Hannibal III: Swimming in blood and emptiness

Tony Soprano

Wow. That was incredible. My jaw actually, literally dropped when Abigail showed up and shoved Alana out the window. And then pretty much stayed that way for the rest of the episode. It was odd, the first half, with everything building up, seemed to last longer than it actually did, and then the last half flew by, unrelentingly. That was just a breathtaking way to end a season. Wow.

I also almost stopped it to come read everyone's reactions here when the credits started to roll, but then the plane flew over and they had that last scene. Holy crap, I can't wait for season 3, this is going to be a hard wait.

aesthetically and acting wise the show is top notch, but people are going overboard with the praise

- extremely talky

- lots of hand waving, "mind of a killer" nonsense used as a substitute for actual police work

- highly repetitive murder stagings and dream sequences

- devoid of humor

The final sequence was very good though.

aesthetically and acting wise the show is top notch, but people are going overboard with the praise

- extremely talky

- lots of hand waving, "mind of a killer" nonsense used as a substitute for actual police work

Nothing wrong with being talky when the talk is this good. And the second one is kind of the point and played with complete self-awareness of how ridiculous it is.

Nothing wrong with being talky when the talk is this good. And the second one is kind of the point and played with complete self-awareness of how ridiculous it is.

Yeah, I would complain about the aesthetics before the talking.

As for the humor: this is kinda like the Bakker discussion all over again:there is humor, it's just buried under the pretty slowmo shots and the bleakness of hunting serial killers (go figure). "You slice the ginger" comes to mind. I'm sure it's not enough for some people but that level of humour works for me. And it works with the tone of the show. It's not Bones.

Yeah, I would complain about the aesthetics before the talking.

As for the humor: this is kinda like the Bakker discussion all over again:there is humor, it's just buried under the pretty slowmo shots and the bleakness of hunting serial killers (go figure). "You slice the ginger" comes to mind. I'm sure it's not enough for some people but that level of humour works for me. And it works with the tone of the show. It's not Bones.

I agree, 'you slice the ginger' was a gem. I've just finished watching the last ep and am still digesting a few things.

Also agree with all the praise for the acting, across the board... But Mads? Ffs, how incredible his acting is, I'm dumbfounded and in complete awe of an actor who can portray a character like Hannibal and impart such tenderness at times.

I agree, 'you slice the ginger' was a gem. I've just finished watching the last ep and am still digesting a few things.

What you did there, I see it :p

Also agree with all the praise for the acting, across the board... But Mads? Ffs, how incredible his acting is, I'm dumbfounded and in complete awe of an actor who can portray a character like Hannibal and impart such tenderness at times.

The best actor out there for the moment :)

When your character kills 4 main heroes of the show in the most gruesome fashion and people actually feel sorry for you, you are a great actor :bowdown:

What you did there, I see it :p

The best actor out there for the moment :)

I almost wrote 'pun intended' but realised it wasn't necessary! :D

Agree, his acting is astounding, really. It would gave been easy to portray Hannibal in a number of much more obvious ways, but he doesn't take any expected road and does so with such... elegance! He's made Hannibal a tragic character.

On a diff note, I was watching King Arthur (2004) the other day just because of Mads, Hugh Dancy, and Stephen Dillane. Not a good movie, IMO, but there's a scene that is funny now because of Hannibal. Dancy's character is talking to Mads character, and he says something like, 'I don't kill for pleasure' or something to that effect; Mads character replies: 'you should try it sometime, you might get a taste for it'. :D

When your character kills 4 main heroes of the show in the most gruesome fashion and people actually feel sorry for you, you are a great actor :bowdown:

Well, I don't think they're all dead but I get your drift. And totally agree. Emmy alone is not enough, he should get every single acting award in 2014. Well, since there's no more Breaking Bad, he might just get quite a few!

A great moment was Hannibal taunting "did you think you could change me, the way I changed you?" And Will uttering back "I already did." To my memory Hannibal's never said anything like that about himself. I'm not saying Will "brought out the best in him" or anything, but I don't think he would've said that if he hadn't started to suspect Will was having an unintended effect on him. Hence his jilted loverness at the end.

I need to rewatch S1 to see, but it seemed like Hannibal was becoming more emotional throughout S2. He outright grinned--actually flashed his teeth--when Mason was tripping balls. However, I like how Mads' performance makes the audience learn his expressions. It's much easier to read his face (and understand his voice) 2nd half of S1. Not sure where one ends and the other begins.

On a diff note, I was watching King Arthur (2004) the other day just because of Mads, Hugh Dancy, and Stephen Dillane. Not a good movie, IMO, but there's a scene that is funny now because of Hannibal. Dancy's character is talking to Mads character, and he says something like, 'I don't kill for pleasure' or something to that effect; Mads character replies: 'you should try it sometime, you might get a taste for it'. :D

I just popped up my iTunes to watch that scene because I couldn't remember it, and no bullshit, the movie was right there, like it was cued up.

Weird.

ETA- It is hard to believe that movie was so mediocre with such an awesome cast.

Great episode. What I loved about it was how Hannibal essentially kills the entire cast and yet thanks to the direction and acting it comes across as Hannibal who is the one who has been hurt the most. The egomania was so palpable but I weirdly did feel sorry for Hannibal. I guess his reasoning was "what an inconvenience/how rude of you to make me do this"

The stag dying may have been "mask" Hannibal dying or Abigail (loved how they brought her back and killed her within minutes) or Will losing all hope.

Gillian Anderson at the end was a real shock - I was almost wondering if she was a "memory palace construct". If she'd been in on it all along then I have to wonder whether she's a predecessor to Clarice Starling in terms of Hannibal recreating his sister?

In the books Will was mutilated by Hannibal so I guess that's what just happened. Abigail is gone but I'm not so sure about Jack and Alana (who would be suffering sever spinal injuries if she does survive. I hope Jack makes it as it would be crushing for his wife to be the one outliving him after all this time - I'm sure Gina Torres would act the hell out of that but it'd break my heart.

thank god it got another season as that would have been one of the most downbeat "conclusions" to a show ever. Looks like they could go anywhere with the next season. Think I'd like a few episodes of him hanging out in France while the others are recovering. Not entirely sure how they'd capture him now though. Unless the Gillian Anderson character really is a Clarice Starling and they get to him through her - he'd do anything for his "sister"

Hat's off to NBC for making something this good though,

Stag = mask is a great way of thinking of that scene. Now they all know that Hannibal is guilty and he can no longer wear that mask.

I was wondering about her being a piece of the "mind palace" as well. I lean toward her being real since Hannibal seems to always be in need of someone to play with and manipulate/control. Especially since he lost his favorite toy.

Totally missed Hannibal swiping Will's jacket! That's just cold. I'm guessing Alana will be paralyzed next season? Will will be scarred and who knows if Jack will survive. He lost a lot of blood.

Fantastic show. Among my all time favorites. Firefly, Rome, Hannibal, Deadwood, GoT, BrBa and Justified. In no particular order :)

I've read a couple of interviews with Hugh Dancy and Bryan Fuller which explain the stag in a way which kinda makes sense- it's meant to be a representation of Will and Hannibal's relationship, and it dying would be that relationship irrevocably being closed. I'll see if I can dig the interviews out in a bit for anyone who's interested, there's interesting stuff there (one's the usual AV Club Walkthrough).

I'm positive Gillian Anderson can't have been in on it all along- he went to her house in his murder suit, after all. I agree with the theory that since Jack scooped her back up, she decided that if you can't beat him, join him.

Fantastic show. Among my all time favorites. Firefly, Rome, Hannibal, Deadwood, GoT, BrBa and Justified. In no particular order :)

Let's just hope it takes after Breaking Bad and Justifief in that it runs its course - all those others suffered from premature cancellation. Great list though.

Let's just hope it takes after Breaking Bad and Justifief in that it runs its course - all those others suffered from premature cancellation. Great list though.

Especially now that I have more faith in a six season arc. Or, better to say that I'm intrigued and hoping that they do indeed make this big shift that Fuller was talking about.

I'm not sure how to interpret Hannibal's look at Abigail when he says "you would confine me to a prison cell?" Is it that he saw he was wrong in what he did to her (is that what Will changed in him)? Or is he outraged that Will thought he could treat him - Hannibal - as if he were some regular human which is beneath him?

Archived