Interviewing Aidan Gillen

Westeros

One of the actors who has been most elusive among the regular cast has been Aidan Gillen. We’ve hoped to interview him for a number of years, but could never make it work… until, that is, earlier this year when I traveled to London to take part in a round of interviews with Gillen, as well as a number of actors.

GameOfThrones_Petyr_20120411_01.jpg

I recall back when the show was announced that all sorts of names flew about for various roles, but Gillen’s name was easily the most common fan suggestion for Petyr Baelish. Those suggestions were largely based on his role as Caracetti in HBO’s groundbreaking The Wire, I suspect, but I admit at the time I hadn’t gotten past the show’s first season so didn’t know him from there. But we here at Westeros.org also latched onto the name when it was suggested, because of his charming, fearless, devilish performance as Stuart Russel T. Davies’s Queer as Folk.

With many notable roles under his belt, in film, television, and theater, the Dublin-born actor proves a very knowledgeable, extremely thoughtful interview subject. He takes his time with all his responses, thinking them through. And, as you’ll see, he’s more familiar than most of the actors with the source material….

Interview

Without being too spoilery, what sort of character does Littlefinger takes this season?

Literally a journey. At the end of season 3, I got a ship and sailed off. So I go to the Eyrie, and I don’t think that’s a secret. In terms of character development, what’s starting to happen is that I’m taking my surrogate parental responsibilities a bit more seriously, taking Sansa under my wings a bit and making sure Robin Arryn is okay. That’s mainly it.
The Eyrie’s a big destination. Robin needs guidance—he’s only 10 years old—and there’s an interesting dynamic with Sansa as well.

How much do you know about what lies ahead for your character? You’ve read the books, I know, but do you know what lies beyond that?

I know as much as anyone whose read the books, or we’re about to. Anything after that… I don’t know, really.

(For the rest of the interview, head over to the Features page!)

Visit the Site!

I got a laugh out of Gillen swiftly correcting the suggestion that he enjoyed the books:

[Elio]: Why do you like to read the books?
[Gillen]: Why? I didn’t say I like to, I just said I read them.

^He definitely didn't have to make that correction either. I wonder why he did, I'm sure some people will be irked by that.

Still, a good interview and he does seem to put a good deal of thought into what he does. I'm glad you asked him about the voice, Ran.

I think Gillen's just honest. As he says later, he remarks on how great the characters are -- remember, he wasn't involved in any of the filming for Oberyn, so his interest in the Red Viper is purely from the books -- and so on, so he knows the quality. They're just not, as it happens, to his taste.

Which, really, I should have known. He's done a deal of Pinter and other theatrical work that would suggest he's on the more literary end of the reading scale. :)

Him and Stephen Dillane seem to be pretty candid about this sort of stuff. And neither like interviews and having to do publicity, so it's cool that you managed to get in touch with Gillen. Did you ever get a chance to speak with Dillane, Ran?

I enjoyed this interview quite a lot. I particularly liked the reveal that he and Kate Dickey shot a scene that wasn't initially used and that they got to do it again, in different context. It tells me that detail is cared about a great deal in this show and I can appreciate that.

Dillane is even more elusive. Did have a very nice post-interview chat with Carice van Houten, though. Not recorded, but it was quite amusing; she's charming (also: has a fondness for lollipops).

She was hungry for any inside info from GRRM on Melisandre and her future.

I think she said in an interview that she does speak Spanish, though I could be mistaken.

Did you give her any answers about what's to come for Mel btw?

EDIT: Update. I looked up "Carice van Houten Spanish" on google but all I could find of interest was a Vine video of her singing in Spanish and affecting a Penelope Cruz-esque lisp.

Dillane is even more elusive. Did have a very nice post-interview chat with Carice van Houten, though. Not recorded, but it was quite amusing; she's charming (also: has a fondness for lollipops).

Lollipops? Haha! How did that come up in conversation?

Konrad,

I see. Anyways, didn't come up, she speaks English at these things. :)

Cellio,

It came up in conversation in the sense that she was sucking on a lollipop occasionally during said conversation. Not during the interview, but when that was done, out came the lollipop. Guess she has a sweet tooth.

It rocks that you get to meet these people Ran. I met Aidan once at a music festival in Ireland(actually twice two years in a row). And he seemed really distant yet polite, he was with his kids though(at least I assume they were his and not a friends) so I kept in mind that I didn't want to take much of his time, I forget what I said to him though, I wasn't entirely sobre but I don't think I made too much of a fool of myself :P

I got a laugh out of Gillen swiftly correcting the suggestion that he enjoyed the books:

Agreed. And I applaud his bravery to be so honest in an interview with representatives of what is one of the most book-fanatic fan sites on the net.

Saw a live interview with Gillen recently, he comes across as very introspective and thoughtful, pausing to chose his words.

Quite spoken , a very interesting man.

Actually I kind of surprises me he has read the books.

I don't know how many times I have seen this asked of actors.

I have seen others , A-listers , who work on both stage and screen state they consider it part of their craft no to read a work of prose fiction if it is going to be an adaptation.

Others, maybe all, if they play a historical character will read history and biographies before and after taking a role.

I don't know what the great actors studios and stages teach, if anything.

Using you as an oracle, I see. :)

Archived