NFL: 2014 Everyone Gets a Trophy in the Offseason

Jace, Extat

Is there precedent for the NFL commissioner to discipline an owner? Clearly Adam Silver set new precedent for all commissioners earlier this year, but I can't think of a time that Goodell has acted on anyone other than a coach/player.

I think after watching a full season of Adam Silver constantly trying to do the right thing, respond intelligently to proposals to improve the NBA and make, small classy gestures that make me think well of him and the Association, I'm just now completely intolerant to Roger Goodell's bullshit and hypocrisy.

I think part of it is just the arrogance that comes with having been on top for so long vs. being a scrappy league that's been constantly forced to improve and refine its product and the way it relates to fans. But I think part of it is just the commissioners involved. The NBA was probably equally heavy handed under Stern. It just doesn't play well in this era of the media savvy fan.

That Ray Rice only got two games disgusts me. This reminds me of what I see every day around here, a girl in a relationship with someone who puts his hands on her, and her unwillingness to leave him or go to the authorities because he has money and wants to be taken care of.

I won't judge her of anything because I don't know her, but I hope his wife isn't sticking by him just because he has money. I've seen that end tragically one too many times.

ESPN's Michelle Beadle Is Not Taking This Morning's First Take Lightly

I didn't see First Take (I value what remaining brain cells I have left entirely too much) but from what I've seen, Stephen A was in rare form. Some of Beadle's tweets:

So I was just forced to watch this morning's First Take. A) I'll never feel clean again B ) I'm now aware that I can provoke my own beating.

I'm thinking about wearing a miniskirt this weekend...I'd hate to think what I'd be asking for by doing so @stephenasmith. #dontprovoke

I was in an abusive relationship once. I'm aware that men & women can both be the abuser. To spread a message that we not 'provoke' is wrong

Amazing. Simply amazing.

You couldn't pay me to watch Stephen A. Smith. I would gladly watch 10 straight hours of Skip Bayless climaxing into a cardboard cutout of Jar Jar Binks if it helped me avoid watching 5 seconds of the type of bullshit sermonizing that Smith acts like he hadn't practiced for hours in front of a mirror.

You couldn't pay me to watch Stephen A. Smith. I would gladly watch 10 straight hours of Skip Bayless climaxing into a cardboard cutout of Jar Jar Binks if it helped me avoid watching 5 seconds of the type of bullshit sermonizing that Smith acts like he hadn't practiced for hours in front of a mirror.

Smith and Bayless are terrible in different ways, but both are completely unwatchable. Smith is more offensive, whereas Bayless is more idiotic.

I feel like Stephen A. Smith is supposed to appeal to me. He's a supposedly college educated, well spoken black guy and ESPN puts him on there to appeal to a demographic that he could hypothetically appeal to. It he wasn't a bigoted buffoon, their ploy might work.

I much prefer John Anderson as a decent role model. I'd be pretty hurt if he said anything stupid.

Sad news about Rice.

I'd say AT LEAST a full season of suspension is due.

Remember when Haynesworth got 5 games for stepping on a fully padded and helmeted pro athlete during the heat of a game????

I wasn't with Ben Roethlesberger that night(s) so I don't know what happened.

If anyone was there and witnessed what happened then maybe you can clarify the speculation.

I just know he was suspended without being charged with a crime.

We have video of Ray, that a big difference IMO.

In this PC climate where daily people are losing their jobs permanently for just words such as racist or homophobic comments, a one year suspension isn't overboard here.

Sad news about Rice.

I'd say AT LEAST a full season of suspension is due.

Remember when Haynesworth got 5 games for stepping on a fully padded and helmeted pro athlete during the heat of a game????

Couldn't agree more. All this talk of 4 or 5 games is puzzling to me. This was so far beyond simple assualt. He knocked her out. I wouldn't be upset if he were drummed out of the game, to be honest.

Your memory of the Haynesworth incident is not correct. ESPN report of the incident.

The 6-foot-6, 320-pound Haynesworth stomped on Dallas Cowboys center Andre Gurode's head Sunday, knocking off his helmet, then kicked and stomped his face. Gurode needed 30 stitches to repair the cuts left by the tackle's cleats, and plans to talk with his family about whether or not to press charges, his agent told Nashville police Monday.

Haynesworth was kicking a man on the ground, his helmet came off, and Haynesworth continued kicking and stomping at his head. Gurode could have very realistically been killed on the field. Of course the NFL is going to come down hard on that.

Haynesworth was remorseful afterwards, and was quoted saying "I just wanted to make sure he was dead".

Your memory of the Haynesworth incident is not correct. ESPN report of the incident.

Haynesworth was kicking a man on the ground, his helmet came off, and Haynesworth continued kicking him. Gurode could have very realistically been killed on the field. Of course the NFL is going to come down hard on that.

What part am I not correct about?

I said stepped on his head instead of kicking his head?? Yeh guess you really got me there.

The woman in the Rice video could have easily been killed too.

Smith and Bayless are terrible in different ways, but both are completely unwatchable. Smith is more offensive, whereas Bayless is more idiotic.

I am more forgiving of Bayless, as he was one of the only members of the media who stuck up for Jay Cutler after the NFCCG fiasco and media meltdown. Of course, he was likely only doing that to be contrary, but that made me ... not like him but not hate him as he probably should be hated.

What part am I not correct about?

I said stepped on his head instead of kicking his head?? Yeh guess you really got me there.

The woman in the Rice video could have easily been killed too.

You said "stepping on a fully padded and helmeted pro athlete". Gurode's helmet came off, at that point he was on the ground and defenseless. That is a really important difference, and I think it's weird you don't notice that.

The last time an NFL player died on the field was in 1971, and the NFL is very concerned about keeping that streak alive.

Yes, Rice could have killed his fiancee as well, but I don't know why you would hold up the Haynesworth incident as an example of the NFL coming down much harder on a smaller matter. Both were incredibly dangerous and deserving of a serious punishment.

You said "stepping on a fully padded and helmeted pro athlete". Gurode's helmet came off, at that point he was on the ground and defenseless. That is a really important difference, and I think it's weird you don't notice that.

The last time an NFL player died on the field was in 1971, and the NFL is very concerned about keeping that streak alive.

Yes, Rice could have killed his fiancee as well, but I don't know why you would hold up the Haynesworth incident as an example of the NFL coming down much harder on a smaller matter. Both were incredibly dangerous and deserving of a serious punishment.

Ok wow, I said helmeted, but his helmet came off. I should have just said "the Haynesworth incident" the point it was it was assault.

I never made mention of either one being a smaller or larger matter.

If you really want to debate which is the larger matter ok. But that's really getting far off the point.

Haynesworth got 5 games and Rice only 2, that's the NFL saying Rice's incident is 3 games smaller of a matter I guess.

I don't see how either case is an example of "coming down hard" with punishment

I honestly have no idea wtf the NFL is thinking.

I'd like to add that I think people are really cavalier about DUIs. That is, to me, a very serious offence. You are taking the lives of everyone near you into your hands in a manner which is indisputably more dangerous than sober driving, which is itself a major cause of injury/death on a regular basis.

The person who drinks and drives and doesn't harm anyone is IMO only distinct from the person who drinks and drives and harms someone by luck. It's a dangerously fucking selfish act, and it's too often treated like a somewhat worse parking violation.

But back to Rice. I've intentionally never seen the video, but I've heard it's pretty cut and dried, so I don't see what leg the NFL is standing on here. The sad thing is that this WILL blow over for many football fans. Anyone remember how briefly Big Ben was held to account? Or even Vick? I can almost hear a Michael Irvin or Deion talking past it during highlights, to the effect of 'don't care about the off-field rumours, the man is a plYer!' Or similar as though somehow Rice is a co-victim. Almost sure it will happen if Rice plays long enough.

As far as SAS, I have no sympathy for anyone who chooses to watch him. If it's accidental, ok. If it's part of some rehabilitation negative-reinforcement program, do what you gotta do. But if you either choose to watch him or continue watching him after identifying who he is, it's on you. Same goes for Bayless.

Awesome possum confused me by saying Bayless 'likely' only said something to be controversial, and I have given it some thought and am still lacking any alternative explanation. Best I came up with is Bears fans kidnapped his family and held them hostage on demand of w/e he said, but otherwise it's water being wet.

Archived