Orphan Black Take 2: Expect some differences from the Original

Sci-2

Dunno how serious your questions are, but I have to admit that I found that scene - and actually Alison's whole arc this season - a bit jarring. It seems that they've identified Alison as the character who can do all sorts of crazy shit to liven up the overall mood of the series - but if we go back to Season 1 (which I rewatched recently), Alison was actually a very well defined character who was mostly fun *because* of her boundaries. I found her highlights to be the situations where she did crazy shit *because* of who she was or *because* she was forced to break her own rules.

In the first season, she was *the* character who cared about safety and security. She signed Rachel's contract to protect her family. Now she starts dealing massive amounts of drugs all over the neighbourhood to ... what, win a community election? And the bed scene was pretty symptomatic of this development - quirky fun for the hell of it, but doesn't make one bit of sense in the context of story and character. I kinda disliked it.

I was joking a bit, but all of these points are issues I'm having with the character. Their major retconning of other characters and events have made it hard not to notice when they start making major character changes or even rewrite their own history.

For example, Donny and Alison met in high school, but now Alison is saying she and Donny met in college. Dyad bought Paul the condo to attract Beth, but this fever dream Beth is claiming Paul moved in with two suitcases to his name. Of course, it was a fever dream so they can make any excuse for why it's wrong info, but the track record of the writers indicates that they just didn't remember and they really are making it up as they go.

So while Alison is really funny as some sort of random side story, she's also this major issue because she's the blinking neon light telling us that the showrunners might have no idea what they are doing.

Yeah. I could sorta forgive them for having to retcon season 1 in the grander scheme of things, but it was kinda embarassing with the scene between Mark and Paul. "Sorry I didn't recognize you back in that bar, sir." "Nah, it's fine. And I was just pretending not to recognize you." "Ah."

Fantastic episode.

Allison and Donnie on the bed had me cracking up. Might beat out Helena's dancing for the funniest thing the show has ever had.

This episode really brought everything together nicely. Good to know exactly what Castor was up to all this time.

Lol at Helena eating the scorpion. Also the inside the episode being about the scorpion was hilarious.

Never was a fan of Paul tbh, but he was great in this episode. Definitely a good send off for him.

Loved Felix's scene with Rachel.

This is now 2 excellent episodes in a row, seems the season is really hitting it's stride. Can't wait for more!

Funny, I have not like this season at all. The last 2 ep were so bad that I fast forward thru whole scenes, because I could tell they weren't going any where. The whole Army clones storyline is weird, confusing and really doesn't make a lot of sense. Mrs. S was attached by a male clone that isn't w/ them, and either Sarah didn't tell them, or I missed it. That should have been the first thing she told them, after they caught her.

I agree w/ Dr. Pepper, they are just making this season as the go along. Which is strange since they seemed to have planned both 1 and 2* out so well.

*not sure if they went into season 2 knowing who would be the male clone, but it was planned to have one show up at the end.

It's amazing how Maslany can make you fall in love with four different characters. and if one wasn't aware that it was the same actress, they'd never even think about it.... she is amazing.

Conversely, the Male clones confuse the hell out of me... they're all similar... I don't know if its the lack of character development, make-up, or the actor... but the Maslany dynamic doesn't extend to the Y chromosome on this show.

The clone that attacked S was one of the Castors, he's the one that shot his brother and went out on Patrol after Helena escaped and came back to retake the base. Blanking on whether he is Rudy or Seth though, they were introduced at the same time.

He beat up S, she told him what he wanted was at Dyad, he went to Dyad and got his brother out.

The clone that attacked S was one of the Castors, he's the one that shot his brother and went out on Patrol after Helena escaped and came back to retake the base. Blanking on whether he is Rudy or Seth though, they were introduced at the same time.

He beat up S, she told him what he wanted was at Dyad, he went to Dyad and got his brother out.

He's Rudy.

Are Rudy and Mark the only Castor clones left?

Rudy put down Seth in Felix's apartment building, Helena filleted Parsons' brain, and Paul and the corporal (whose name I can't remember) killed each other.

Are there any others?

Well there was at least one currently unnamed Castor clone that Rudy let out of the cell who had been on guard duty, or did he end up getting killed this ep? Was late at night when I watched it.

Well, I for one missed the Castor Boys out of this one ! Would have liked to get some intel on Rudy's situation.

Otherwise, very good episode ! I feel so sorry for Donnie, poor bloke !

And Scott giving Rachel the pencil was hilarious ! I agree, Scott and Rachel can make for a very interesting duo !

Well, I for one missed the Castor Boys out of this one ! Would have liked to get some intel on Rudy's situation.

Otherwise, very good episode ! I feel so sorry for Donnie, poor bloke !

And Scott giving Rachel the pencil was hilarious ! I agree, Scott and Rachel can make for a very interesting duo !

I'd be happy if we never saw them again.

Not as good as last week, but a decent episode. Always love when the clones play eachother. Alison's mom totally sucks btw.

Oh, and I totally need a gif of Helena in the cowboy hat giving Mrs. S the throat cut gesture. :D

Ask and you shall receive: http://orphanblack.tumblr.com/post/120310338611/the-only-way-out

I'll be back to give my thoughts on this episode soon...

Of all the storylines this week, the Helena one was probably the weakest. Not only was it weird how Mrs. S showed up out of nowhere (in full cowboy garb for some reason?), but it was pretty weird how quickly Helena forgave her, at least on the surface. After being locked away for who-knows-how-long, you'd think Helena would hold more of a grudge -- regardless of haymakers -- especially after the stunt she pulled with Sarah. I guess we'll have to wait and see if all is truly well in the S household.

Of all the storylines this week, the Helena one was probably the weakest. Not only was it weird how Mrs. S showed up out of nowhere (in full cowboy garb for some reason?), but it was pretty weird how quickly Helena forgave her, at least on the surface. After being locked away for who-knows-how-long, you'd think Helena would hold more of a grudge -- regardless of haymakers -- especially after the stunt she pulled with Sarah. I guess we'll have to wait and see if all is truly well in the S household.

Will you please stop copying and pasting IGN reviews and provide some thoughts of your own? That would be great, thanks.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/31/orphan-black-community-of-dreadful-fear-and-hate-review

Omgosh, I LOOOOOOOOOOVED this episode! It wasn't even due to the lack of Castor clones because I do find some of that storyline to be better than I originally thought it would be. No, this episode felt very season 1 with everyone running laps trying to keep the secret of the clones in check, lots of funny moments, lots of near misses, and a startling ending.

Where do I even begin?

--Helena and S were great together. I think it makes absolute perfect sense that S showed up to get the girls. Those are her girls, after all. Yes she sacrificed Helena to save Sarah and Kira, but I think she feels awful about it and her line about "you can't have Sarah without the rest of her family" rings true and speaks to the over theme this week of family and how you can't chose your own. S and Helena might not have chosen each other, but they are going to make do with their own circumstance.

--First I eat, then I fight.

--Not much in the way of Sarah this week, but her heartbreak when she told S about Paul was palpable. Tat can do anything, can't she?

--Allison and Donnie. Give me more of this please! I don't even care if the Hendrix story line has little to do with Castor or Dyad or the Prolethians; it's hilarious. Also really enjoyed Allison's speech at the end.

--I'm worried for Cosima. Does anyone else think Shay might be a tad off? I get her curiosity and listening to Delphine and Cosima's conversation but there seemed to be something else going on there. Maybe just me?

--Delphine. Damn. I used to like her and now I'm getting irritated (but not at the show, just the character).

--Scott and Rachel were great together. Scott got assertive and it was wonderful. Can't wait to learn what that book says.

--Cosima trying to be Ally. A gold mine of humor.

--Ally's mom is a bitch. LOVED the ending scene of "this girl is my clone." "That girl is mulatto." omg. WOW

Can't wait for next week.

Archived