Orphan Black Take 2: Expect some differences from the Original

Sci-2

Was anyone else disappointed with this week's "closer look"? The past ones were very interesting, but this one just made the army base setting feel so terribly small, that that's all I could think about for the rest of the episode.

Was anyone else disappointed with this week's "closer look"? The past ones were very interesting, but this one just made the army base setting feel so terribly small, that that's all I could think about for the rest of the episode.

Now that you mentioned it....yes. I'd rather hear the actors (especially Tat) talk about the characters tbh.

Three words: Tatiana. Fucking. Maslany.

That fever dream sequence between Sarah and Beth was powerful! The Rachel scene of her begging Felix to get her out of that place. The gut-busting humor that is Alison and Donny (OMG THAT FIRST SCENE). Helena chomping down on an imaginary scorpion. And Cosima who is just generally awesome. God, this acrtress is amazing.

Ok, I'll stop gushing over Tat.

I loved this episode. It was spectacular. Dr. Cody is a piece of work, no?

Favorite bits (in an episode that was just great all around)

--Everything Alison and Donny. I'd watch a sitcom about those two. Breaking Bad, Alison and Donny Style.

--Getting some bigger answers

--Lots of love for Felix. While what he did to Rachel was cruel, I can also get *why* he did it. He's desperate. However, I think he sees Rachel a bit differently now (wouldn't be surprised if he ends up working with her in future episodes)

--Rachel in general. I've never been fond of her, but her crying and looking at a picture of her and her father was moving.

--RIP Paul (I guess). His character had felt like dead weight for awhile, but at least he went out on a boom. (literally)

I don't think I have any least favorites. Glad to see episode 3 from a few weeks ago (which I felt was really lackluster) was a bit of a fluke.

Damn I hope Rudy aint dead ! I like him !

And with Milner dead (apparently), if Rudy's down too, that would leave Marc as the sole Castor survivor. At least the only one we know about.

The kid walking in on Allison & Donnie was hilarious ...

The Beth sequence was fantastic.... holy cow can this girl act....

I personally didn't have a problem with the compound scene... the only thing in this episode that --to me-- fell a little short was the Felix/Rachel scene.... it just seemed clumsy, and Felix got nothing out of her anyway... But I have a feeling that Rachel will play a bigger part..... soon.

Cossima's new GF is adorable.... they make a much better couple than her with psycho frenchie

I just love Helena

I kinda liked the episode but can anyone explain what we learned, plot-wise? Actually, can anyone summarize what is going on in general? I've completely lost track of who wants what at this point.

To be more specific:

- Why do we care what's in the Dr. Moreau book? What's supposed to be in there?

- Why do we care that the male clones transmit a disease?

- If they transmit a disease, why is it bad that Cody tried to sterilize them?

- What did she mean by 'ending wars' by sterilizing them?

- Do we have any idea what the show is trying to tell us re: Sarah being immune to the disease? I don't see the significance at this point.

- Is the 'director' yet another new shadowy character (sigh)?

I feel that if someone can get me up to speed on what the show has been trying to convey at breakneck speed over the last 6 episodes, I might start to care more about it again. It used to be my favorite show.

Who do you think Coady is making the biological weapon for?

My guess is the government. We've had religion (The Prolethians) and now the Army (Dr. Coady) so time to get the government in on this.

I'll give some of those questions a try.

- Why do we care what's in the Dr. Moreau book? What's supposed to be in there?

Nobody actually knows what's in there, but it might hold the key to finding a cure.

- Why do we care that the male clones transmit a disease?

It's apparently the same thing that makes the female clones sterile and is killing Cosima. The transmission shows that it can be weaponised to some degree.

- If they transmit a disease, why is it bad that Cody tried to sterilize them?

It's the women the male clones had sex with during the (supposedly unauthorised) "human trials" that ended up sterile.

- What did she mean by 'ending wars' by sterilizing them?

I think her idea is to drastically reduce the world's population. She said it would end wars "within a generation". Not the most original plot (I've seen at least one show in the last year that went in the same direction), but it would up the stakes from the story being just about the fate of the clones.

- Do we have any idea what the show is trying to tell us re: Sarah being immune to the disease? I don't see the significance at this point.

Sarah is immune for the same reason she can have children. It's another piece of the puzzle. And if my speculation above is correct, the people behind the plan would want to have a countermeasure before sterilising large parts of the human population.

I'll give some of those questions a try.

Nobody actually knows what's in there, but it might hold the key to finding a cure.

It's apparently the same thing that makes the female clones sterile and is killing Cosima. The transmission shows that it can be weaponised to some degree.

It's the women the male clones had sex with during the (supposedly unauthorised) "human trials" that ended up sterile.

I think her idea is to drastically reduce the world's population. She said it would end wars "within a generation". Not the most original plot (I've seen at least one show in the last year that went in the same direction), but it would up the stakes from the story being just about the fate of the clones.

Sarah is immune for the same reason she can have children. It's another piece of the puzzle. And if my speculation above is correct, the people behind the plan would want to have a countermeasure before sterilising large parts of the human population.

The general direction in which my thoughts were going.

I really loved this episode, my favourite since Season 1 finale. Everything is starting to make sense.

I don't know how Tatiana does it, glad we got to see Beth and Rachel.

Fantastic episode. I continue to care the most about Cosima's love life, but that's because I'm totally smitten with Cosima, the ep overall was easily best of the season.

Helena eating the scorpion, so unexpected and awesome. Felix and Rachel I thought was just heartbreaking. His cruelty at first to someone disabled had me uncomfortable, but the emotion slipping, the desperation and his responding to her plea made it work. Sarah and Beth dream sequence...phenomenal. We barely know Beth, but she's instantly recognisable as yet another person...Tatiana is amazing.

And I don't know what I can say about that Allison and Donny scene, the heavy drama and the hilarity of those two is balanced perfectly.

Looks like Delphine is spying on Cos purely for herself, she's still in love and abusing resources.

To answer the question above - the book contains the cipher to decode all the original synthetic sequences that were added to the clones DNA I believe, as opposed to the full genome - it will allow them to isolate everything that was added. I thought it had been made pretty clear that increased resilience and healing is part of it, which is why Marc survived a few weeks ago. This seems elevated even further in Kira who went from hit by a truck to healed virtually in a day. I'm still waiting for them to realise Helena left a freezer pod full of fertilized eggs, ie source of stem cells, at Felix's apartment, those are going to be pivotal at some point.

So, if the protein (prion?) attacks the brain in men and can be sexually transmitted, doesn't it mean that men who have unprotected sex with Leda clones are also at risk of developing the degenerative brain disorder? And, for that matter, why would all these women have unprotected sex with Castors? The boy-clones didn't seem to all be rapists or to know about the experiment. I have just watched the last 3 episodes together, and I have to say that they seem to shape into a pretty impressive arc. Hope that they don't kill off S now that Helena has a grudge against her. And Alison and Donnie are a gift that just keeps giving, heh.

One of the few things I was left wondering is whether or not condoms and dental dams exist in the OB universe. The other thing I was left wondering is how Alison decided they were going to dance in a rain of money on the bed. Was it a scheduled part of their bedroom activity? Did she set rules? Is she on drugs again because the Alison we know probably wouldn't have allowed glitter on the bed?

One of the few things I was left wondering is whether or not condoms and dental dams exist in the OB universe. The other thing I was left wondering is how Alison decided they were going to dance in a rain of money on the bed. Was it a scheduled part of their bedroom activity? Did she set rules? Is she on drugs again because the Alison we know probably wouldn't have allowed glitter on the bed?

Dunno how serious your questions are, but I have to admit that I found that scene - and actually Alison's whole arc this season - a bit jarring. It seems that they've identified Alison as the character who can do all sorts of crazy shit to liven up the overall mood of the series - but if we go back to Season 1 (which I rewatched recently), Alison was actually a very well defined character who was mostly fun *because* of her boundaries. I found her highlights to be the situations where she did crazy shit *because* of who she was or *because* she was forced to break her own rules.

In the first season, she was *the* character who cared about safety and security. She signed Rachel's contract to protect her family. Now she starts dealing massive amounts of drugs all over the neighbourhood to ... what, win a community election? And the bed scene was pretty symptomatic of this development - quirky fun for the hell of it, but doesn't make one bit of sense in the context of story and character. I kinda disliked it.

(Btw, did anyone notice from the preview for next week that

The dude who chopped off Vic's finger is returning. I've been wondering for a while when they'd bring back Vic - the drug angle seems a much better excuse to reintroduce him than last season's excuse - but with finger guy returning, I'd be surprised if we don't see Vic at some point ... even if he doesn't have a whole lot to do anymore.

Never understood all the fuss about Alison. Sure, she's funny as a "functional alcoholic" (as Felix pointed out once) and her rigidity, but she aint as compelling as Rachel, Cosima or Helena.

Rachel especially... I adore her ! Looking forward to see more of her !

I must confess my biggest disapointment so far this season is Rachel's low screentime.

Archived