3 Dragon Riders

LadySage

1. Dany obviously

2. Jon is pretty much a lock

3. Victarion or possibly Bran

Tyrion riding a dragon would kind of defeat the purpose of "my mind is my weapon" wouldn't it? I think Bran has less of a chance for a similar reason, his greenseeing is already as special as having a dragon

Why is Jon a lock? Asided from the most likely fact he has dragon blood, it seems he is destined for something to more represent his Northern Blood. Blood Raven has dragon blood too, but for some reason his Blackwood (northern blood) is compelling him moreso than his dragon blood. Plus, when have we seen Jon have a Dragon Dream?

The only loose,subtle,hints I've interpreted,is the significance of bastards,cripples,and broken things.And that Jon=black,Tyrion=gold and Bran=green.AND that a design conveniently exists of a saddle for Bran...

And what is Daenerys doing during all of this?? This isn't the first time that someone has suggested that Daenerys won't be one of the final three. But everyone is tossing her out, she is going to survive the series. So tell me where will she be while other people are riding her dragons?

And what is Daenerys doing during all of this?? This isn't the first time that someone has suggested that Daenerys won't be one of the final three. But everyone is tossing her out, she is going to survive the series. So tell me where will she be while other people are riding her dragons?

That's one of those things that's always annoyed me about dragon rider theories. Everyone is over eager at the idea of Dany being tossed out. Those are HER dragons. From what may seem an irrelevant perspective, this would be one of those instances where GRRM would finally prove those accusing him of sexist writing. "Giving her dragons away" to male characters who didn't even share in her trials in the Red Waste would be a classic exhibition of a woman as a birthing machine. Besides, she's already bonded to Drogon.

I refer you to the end of a Dance with Dragons, where she is already riding Drogon

Their future relationship is still unknown though. Drogon could still potentially turn against her or allow another character to ride him. :dunno:

Their future relationship is still unknown though. Drogon could still potentially turn against her or allow another character to ride him. :dunno:

It is stated in DwD that once you bond to a dragon it is your dragon and you can't ride another one at the same time and one rider cannot ride 2 dragons. Why and how would Drogon turn against her?

This is covered in TP&TQ/TB&TG, once a rider is bound to a dragon they are bound for life. Drogon has allowed Daenerys to ride him, thus they are bonded. The only thing that can break that is Daenerys' death. Their relationship is known at the end of the book, she starts walking and Drogon follows her, he is bound to her. Daenerys is not going to die in the series and if she does it will be while riding Drogon against the others and Drogon will most likely die with her.

Personally, I think it all hinges on what transpires in Meereen once Dragonbinder is presented to Daenerys upon her return. If it truly is a horn to bind dragons to one's will, a lot will depend on who its master is when blown in the presence of Dany's dragons. It could be a huge deus ex machina, depending on how Martin decides it's going to be used, and by whom.

I have a feeling that Dany will be warned about the danger of blowing the horn, but will blow it anyway without any harm befalling her. Who its master will be then, or how one goes about becoming the horn's master(with blood, yes...but how exactly?) is beyond me. At this point, she is the only one who could potentially sound the horn without giving her life in return. According to Moqorro, the glyphs on the horn read, "I am Dragonbinder, No Mortal man should sound me and live, Blood for Fire, Fire for Blood". I tend to see Daenerys' uncanny resistence to heat/flame, as well as her emergance from the pyre unharmed with her freshly-hatched dragons, as proof that she is "no mortal man". These tidbits of information alone make it very difficult for me to even try and predict who will be riding Rhaegal or Viserion...even Drogon could potentially turn on Dany(though I find this unlikely), depending on how the horn actully works.

So, for me, there are way too many variables at play here to enjoy making any solid predictions about dragon riders(Euron and Victarion are chief among those variables at the moment). I certainly don't feel comfortable making stretch assumptions such as Jon will command a dragon simply because it is widely theorized he is of Targaryen ancestry(a theory to which I do subscribe to a point) and/or The Prince Who Was Promised. Regardless of who I would like to see ride a dragon(Tyrion!), I simply don't feel as if I can give an accurate, or even fun, prediction based on what information is available. As it stands right now, the only two people I can see even having the potential to mount dragons are Dany and Brown Ben Plumm(he's in Meereen and is an obvious dragonseed). The rest will all hinge on that damn hell-horn. Dany's blood is the key...she truly has the blood of the dragon coursing through her veins. If she becomes the horn's master, sounds it, and definitively binds the dragons to her will, that will change everything. Regardless of who the master is, I think Dany will sound the horn will no ill effects to her body or well being, and the details of this event will be very important going forward; especially in regard to who will have control of the dragons in any way.

People keep discussing the Dragon Riders on separate forums but most seem to have not read the Princess and the Queen/The Blacks and the Greens. In this book the process of becoming a Dragon Rider is spelled out for us as readers.

1. You need Valyrian Blood

a. Many try in this Novella to become Dragon Riders, all those who don't have Valyrian Blood fail horribly

b. All the Dragon riders that come from base born stock are bastards of Nobility with Valyrian Blood.

2. The Dragon decides not the potential rider

3. Once the Dragon is bound it will not take another rider until that rider has died

4. Anyone who is bound to one Dragon may not mount another

a.

The Prince Joffrey falls to his death while attempting to mount his mother's dragon Syrax.

I really feel that this horn is a "Red Herring", however should the horn be blown I feel that the Dragons will become more controllable but not mountable by just anyone.

People keep discussing the Dragon Riders on separate forums but most seem to have not read the Princess and the Queen/The Blacks and the Greens. In this book the process of becoming a Dragon Rider is spelled out for us as readers.

1. You need Valyrian Blood

a. Many try in this Novella to become Dragon Riders, all those who don't have Valyrian Blood fail horribly

b. All the Dragon riders that come from base born stock are bastards of Nobility with Valyrian Blood.

2. The Dragon decides not the potential rider

3. Once the Dragon is bound it will not take another rider until that rider has died

4. Anyone who is bound to one Dragon may not mount another

a.

The Prince Joffrey falls to his death while attempting to mount his mother's dragon Syrax.

I really feel that this horn is a "Red Herring", however should the horn be blown I feel that the Dragons will become more controllable but not mountable by just anyone.

This is precisely why I feel the only two characters with current potential to be dragon riders are Dany(obviously) and Brown Ben(it's been hinted at more than once that he has some Valyrian blood). Anything else is simply us putting our own biases onto who we would like to see on a dragon, regardless whether or not it makes any actual sense.

But that's what really intrigues me about the horn. I really don't want it to be Red Herring simply because its possibilities are fun to think about. Being that we know very little of the magic Valyrian Dragonlords used to control their dragons, almost anything is a possibility at this point. The horn may do nothing but burn up someone's insides...or it may, perhaps, give the master of the horn power to delegate who has "permission" to ride their dragons. Neither may be true, but I find it fun to think about. That's really the only way I see there being anyone besides a true dragonseed being able to mount a dragon. But simply because there seemed to be set guidelines in The Princess and the Queen, doesn't mean those guidelines still apply when using the old, magical tools of the Freehold. Like I said in my previous post, deus ex machina. This is fiction, after all. But if it turns out to be nothing, I won't be too disappointed. The horn does seem a bit too convenient, but it's ultimately up to how Martin decides to approach it. He can stick by the "guidelines", or completely toss them out the window.

At the same time, we must also bear in mind that the The Princess and the Queen was written from the perspective of a maester, who studied at the Citadel. It is well known that much of the information the Citadel has regarding dragons is kept secret(why?), yet still incomplete. Like any group they also have their own agenda, and may have even had a hand in the extinction of dragons in Westeros. They seem to have developed quite an aversion to magic and the occult, in general; desipte the decision of some who risk being ostrasized in order to forge a Valyrian Steel link. So I don't think the process spelled out by Archmaester Gyldayn is necessarily set in stone. After all, Gyldayn himself said, "Who can know the heart of a dragon?" So any information revealed about dragons from the perspective of the Citadel, or one of its maesters should be viewed with some amount of skepticism...if not at least thoroughly scrutinized before declaring it anywhere close to factual(Munkun and Thomax both had differing views of the sexuality and mating habits of dragons, so that's proof that even amongst themselves there wasn't always a consensus in regard to these matters with maesters).

I have a good feeling we'll end up learning enough definitive information about the dragons of this world, and the magic used to tame them, that [hopefully] my stance on this will be rendered moot soon enough.

Why is Jon a lock? Asided from the most likely fact he has dragon blood, it seems he is destined for something to more represent his Northern Blood. Blood Raven has dragon blood too, but for some reason his Blackwood (northern blood) is compelling him moreso than his dragon blood. Plus, when have we seen Jon have a Dragon Dream?

I'm not saying he's gonna warg the dragon or replace Ghost with it or something, his skinchanging +direwolf already represents his northern blood but I don't see why that means he can't ride a dragon as well, since he's half Targ and the Next Hero hisself. It's a song of ice AND fire after all, not ice OR fire

Archived