Is there still a king in the north?

Gendrys Forge

I feel like this is a stupid question, but is Bran technically the KITN now? Or did that title just kind of dissolve when Robb died? Its been a while since ive read the books and I cant remember them talking about a king in the north anymore after Robb got killed.

I feel like this is a stupid question, but is Bran technically the KITN now? Or did that title just kind of dissolve when Robb died? Its been a while since ive read the books and I cant remember them talking about a king in the north anymore after Robb got killed.

Well, Tywin might be jerk, but he was right on the money with "anyman who must say 'I am king' is no king at all." Or something like that, paraphrasing from memory.

No one right now recognizes Bran as Robb's heir, even if they think he might be alive. It is also doubtful whether it would be in the North's best interests to continue independence from the Iron Throne... or rather independence from the rightful claimant to the Iron Throne.

I usually split the difference and say Bran is the Lord of Winterfell already, even if he doesn't know it. The King in the North question is politics to be negotiated later.

Well I'm pretty sure Robb named Jon his heir so technically by Robb's word and since yes the Lords of the North did recognize Robb as their King than Jon is King In the North.

But since his rightful heir(Bran)is alive and Jon is a man of the NW than Bran is the rightful King in the North.

Ned is still alive, he's just relaxing in Asshai, biding his time.

Bad theory. If he's alive and did nothing when his presence would've won the war for his people and Stannis and united the realm then he is dumb as shit... Which he isn't.

There is a King in the North. And his name is Stannis.

Nobody declared for him., and nobody wants him over a Stark. He can go on devoting his time to some foreign god that nobody in the North cares for and all that, letting Mel spin her magic all over him and following her advice like a lap dog but that aint gonna cut it for fierce northerners.

Bad theory. If he's alive and did nothing when his presence would've won the war for his people and Stannis and united the realm then he is dumb as shit... Which he isn't.

Sir you do not seem to be able to detect irony or sarcasm, but I have this nifty bag you can put over your head that will enable you to detect them and get the jokes

1000 golden dragons, no less

Sir you do not seem to be able to detect irony or sarcasm, but I have this nifty bag you can put over your head that will enable you to detect them and get the jokes

1000 golden dragons, no less

I knew it was lol. Sometimes its hard to resist responding seriously to something with a possible debate in it....

Nobody declared for him., and nobody wants him over a Stark. He can go on devoting his time to some foreign god that nobody in the North cares for and all that, letting Mel spin her magic all over him and following her advice like a lap dog but that aint gonna cut it for fierce northerners.

Stannis is King. There can be a Stark Lord.

There is no King of the North now. 3 of the 4 Stark kids are presumed dead and the 4th is wanted and on the run. Even with Robb's will, Jon has his vows to contend with (I don't believe he died) and wouldn't have the power to back his claim.

It was but a lovely dream but it died in the Great Hall that was The Twins.

Was Robb's title ever legitimate? It was a rebellion that failed. Tywin named Roose Warden right? So the Iron Throne still claims the north.

In which case -- does Robb have the right to name Jon heir over Sansa if he is not KitN but merely Lord of Winterfell? I forget how Ramsay was legitimized, was that just Roose saying so, or did it require Tywin acting with the authority of the crown to grant?

Yup, if they realized Jon was the intended heir, or Bran was and is alive, they'd abandon Stannis.

Though I would hate for them to betray Stannis no matter how much I hate him but I honestly don't think they owe him anything, he's a means to an end for them but he sure as hell ain't their King.

They have someone to lead them and kinda unite them, but Stannis doesn't care about them either and also sees them as a means to an end he's sees them as more people to die in his quest for that ugly chair(which isn't his it's the Targaryens)and once or if he takes Winterfell he'll expect them to march in that snow for something they don't care about or has ever fought for.

Archived