Will Arianne be Queen ?

Here Shaggydog

Many many many people take for granted that Arianne and Aegon will get married and she will become queen. While I understand the logic that leads to the prediction, the fact that it's so widely taken as a given makes me cautious.

As for whether or not she'd be a good queen, she is obviously trying to learn from her mistakes and take her father's lead, but she still has a lot to learn and a long way to go. She'd be a better queen now that she would have been when we met her, but at the end of the day when it's all said and done and she's learned all she can she'd still be much better suited to being the Princess of Dorne than the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, imo

Arianne still does not strike me as very wise.

She thinks she has learned her lesson, but she may convince her self that being with "Aegon" is what's best for Dorne.

No, she's not blind as she was before, but I think she's still out to prove herself worthy of ruling Dorne at the very least. When word reaches her of Quentyn's death, well... it may all click into place.

I think Arianne will become queen by marrying Aegon. Of course, her reign as queen will be very brief, since Aegon will lose the second Dance.

As to her qualities as queen, she does possess cunning, but she is also rash, selfish, manipulative and rewrites reality to fit her preferred narrative, or in other words, a Dornish version of Cersei. I think Arianne will only grow worse through the second Dance, as Apple said about the first Dance, it reaches a point where just want both sides to kill each other. Arianne will do some pretty terrible things.

Like Illyrio said "To queen her is to kill her." Her crown will cost Arianne her life.

I don't think she's as cruel as Cersei (not yet, anyway). To her, the game of thrones is all a bit of a lark. But dreadful things happen in civil wars. I could see the Sand Snakes and Jon Connington carrying out the most appalling acts, in her name.

And, I do think it will end very badly for her, with Dany feeding her to Drogon, or killing her in some equally vicious manner.

GRRM has hinted that history will repeat itself. Targ spurning a Dornish princess for a Stark girl? Sansa is a famed beauty to all that have seen her and her continued virginity strongly hints at her virtue (fit for a King) Arianne, not so much but she is sexy.

Um, the only things Sansa's continued virginity strongly hints at are that 1) she is 13 years old and 2) she's been relatively lucky not to have been raped, despite being abused and almost raped a few times. Sansa is a decade younger than Arianne, and still a year younger than Arianne was when she lost her virginity, and unlike Arianne, Sansa has had absolutely no opportunities to have sex with someone of her own choice, even if she was already ready for it at this age, and even if her society was not much more restrictive of sexual freedom when it comes to women, compared to Dorne.

The main problem with your theory is that Sansa most probably wouldn't want to marry fAegon. She currently doesn't want to ever get married, since she's sick and tired of being auctioned off for her claim and since she knows she's unlikely to have a chance to get married out of love. Unlike Arianne, she is not interested anymore in being the queen of Westeros and marrying some guy who's going to be on the Iron Throne; she wants to go back home North, reunite with her family if possible, rebuild Winterfell, not go to King's Landing again. And unlike Arianne, Sansa is not attracted to/interested in pretty dumbass arrogant princes anymore. She's outgrown both these things.

Arianne has lived in a different culture that allows far more sexual freedom and agency to women, and she has a privileged and safe position within it as the daughter and heir of the current ruler of Dorne. She has no idea how bad the position of most women in Westeros - highborn as well as lowborn - really is. If she had a fraction of Sansa's or Dany's (or Cersei's) experiences, she's realize how much better it is to be in ruler in one's own name than to depend on a husband/king, and to have the freedom to choose what you're going to do with your body and who you're going to have sex with.

As for "history repeating", GRRM doesn't make it repeat in such silly, cheap ways. Sansa is not Lyanna, Arianne is definitely not Elia, and fAegon is sure not Rhaegar, and it would be completely absurd to expect the relationships between these people to be anything like the relationships between some completely different people who happen to have the same family name (a fake one, in Aegon's case, since he's not even really a Targaryen, but never mind). That would be like concluding that the fact that a Daenerys Targaryen (Daeron II's sister) married a Martell was GRRM's hint that Dany would marry Quentyn. Yeah, we know how that turned out. And anyway, if you really believe in this kind of cheap "foreshadowing" or "history repeating", why don't you think that fAegon will spurn Arianne for Arya? She's the one who's supposed to look like Lyanna and share her temper, after all. And Arya is also a virgin, so you could also say that "Arya's continued virginity strongly hints at her virtue" (as opposed to the fact she's still 11 and fortunately has avoided rape). Heck, if you think lack of sexual desire is "virtue", Arya is far more "virtuous" than Sansa.

I don't see the point of Arianne marrying Aegon while Doran lives, fake or real. He's already Doran's nephew. It was different with Viserys who had no such close ties If Doran does die, Arianne will probably marry him ,fake or real since

In the TWOW chapters, she clearly values being Queen Consort over Princess Regnant of Dorne.

and

The one thing i don't get is why ever would Doran send Arianne (the Cersei of the south) to investigate Aegon's legitimacy?

As for Aegon marrying Sansa, Why? She has practically nothing in her name except for a bloody cloak. He would not need her claim to take the North because de jure the North is one of the Iron Throne's vassal kingdoms so he has an automatic claim. I also think whatever the outcome of the Bolton-Stannis battle, the North will remain disorganised and weak for some time.

First up, :agree: with Annara Snow's post, summed up everything.

Sansa/Aegon doesn't seem probable to me, too sweet. Arianne is more likely to marry Aegon (and probably help sink him along the way). She wants to be queen and is quite power hungry. As for her being a good queen, I don't think it very likely. She is rash, prone to making emotional decisions, not very far-sighted, doesn't seem to realize Dorne isn't powerful enough to take on the rest of Westeros on its own and not especially intelligent. Also, she has never been trained to rule and never wanted to learn about it either, to be fair.

Sansa/Aegon doesn't seem probable to me, too sweet. Arianne is more likely to marry Aegon (and probably help sink him along the way). She wants to be queen and is quite power hungry. As for her being a good queen, I don't think it very likely. She is rash, prone to making emotional decisions, not very far-sighted, doesn't seem to realize Dorne isn't powerful enough to take on the rest of Westeros on its own and not especially intelligent. Also, she has never been trained to rule and never wanted to learn about it either, to be fair.

Doran's behaviour is odd. He knows very well how unsuitable his daughter is, yet, on the face of it, makes no proper effort to educate her in ruling or involve her in his plans. He was pinning all his hopes on the marriage to Viserys, but there was always a risk that that would fall through (and it did). He thinks that Arianne would gossip about his plans, and she probably would. But, she's still his heir, he's approaching death, and she needs to know what exactly are the aims of Dornish foreign policy.

Then, in ADWD, he effectively delegates control of foreign policy to Arianne, Nymeria, and Tyene.

Arianne herself seems to think of ruling as not much more than an endless round of parties, sex, and political intrigue.

I don't think she's as cruel as Cersei (not yet, anyway). To her, the game of thrones is all a bit of a lark. But dreadful things happen in civil wars. I could see the Sand Snakes and Jon Connington carrying out the most appalling acts, in her name.

I wouldn't count her out of doing some of those things. I think she will end up doing a complete rejection of her father's modus operandi: protecting the children or innocent life, by willingly sacrificing an innocent to advance her own power and ambitions, like possibly having Penny blow the dragonhorn to bind Arianne to Rhaegal. I can see her id being unlocked after that.

And, I do think it will end very badly for her, with Dany feeding her to Drogon, or killing her in some equally vicious manner.

She burned as anyone and so shall I

I can see her being dragonfood as well

How is that sweet? It would force Sansa back into the exact place and situation from which she just escaped and would prefer never to see again. She may be learning how to play "the game" but that doesn't mean it's what she ultimately wants in life. The game is dangerous and Sansa longs for safety. Marriage to Aegon would not give her any kind of peace, but she would probably do it because LF wouldn't give her a choice in the matter.

Aegon/Sansa strikes me as unlikely for a number of reasons--logistics, for starters--but it being "too sweet" is not one of them.

If Aegon's going to pull a Rhaegar, his Lyanna is far more likely to be

Elia Sand, who is frisky, high-spirited, and a great rider just like Lyanna as we see in TWOW, and who just happens to be accompanying Arianne

as opposed to Sansa.

I don't think Sansa ever wants to set foot in King's Landing again, sorry but she isn't going back there it just wouldn't make sense. Arianne I think could be the younger more beautiful queen in Maggie the Frogs prophecy about Cersei.

No connection to Joff and Cersei, Sansa has been intertwined with them for 2-3 years. Cersei's replacement will be poetic and dramatic, Sansa is the only one that fits that bill.

I would guess not. Arrianne has, in theory, learned some lessons. She is now trying to be super cautious. While I'm sure she'll be tempted to pull a seduction act and insist on being a power in King's Landing (meaning Queen), she'll reject the idea out of hand as being to "incautious." She's looking for the easy win for her family.

Instead, I'd look to Margaery to be Aegon's wife. Margaery has already married three would be kings, and I think Martin's joke for her would be to marry four. Tyrell and Lannister relationships are at a pretty low point right now, and a chance to gain the men of the Reach would be to good of an opportunity for him to pass up. Admittedly, something has to happen to Tommen first, but that would hardly be a surprisingly development, would it.

OMG, The Tyrell family bride, again? Actally I think Margeary will be found guilty and executed, thus splintering the Reach forces. Some will be free to declare for Aegon, others will go and die repulsing the Iron Born, some will go home and house Tyrell will fall. No, but no way will Margeary marry Aegon. That is way to old.

If she is not cast soon, even if she does become queen, it will not be for very long. Although, that said, I do tend to think that she will marry Aegon. There was quite a bit of foreshadowing in her last chapter from The Winds of Winter.

Books 1, 2 and 3 sansa but the Sansa that exists now that Aegon has landed is a much more mentally seasoned lady with grudges to be smashed, against everyone Aegon is opposed to. It is a perfect match. She also has her virtue/virginity/maidenhead which is more than Margeary and Arianne.

I don't know about the governing perfection of Varys "Aegon."

There is too much the unknown variable in him-flaws. He is arrogant of course, but that is a given and impetuous as he played too easily into Tyrion's manipulations.

But, I'm not fond of his dismissive statement of "some pisswater boy" who died in his stead.

I'm also a little too cautious on his marrying Arriane, because he doesn't need to. If she acknowledges him, then that is all he needs. If she thinks he is legitimate, there would be no logical reason for his mothers family not to acknowledge him.

If she doesn't, but somehow rationalizes that it's a good idea to accommodate a lie, then how does she propose that marriage is the linchpin for credibility?

How does that conversation go?

" Hey kid, I think you are a fraud, but I'm willing to say otherwise so long as you marry me and give me Westeros."

I'm pretty sure "Aegon" believes he is who he is and likely not take kindly to being doubted or challenged, and could very well turn on Arianne.

But if Aegon is real, I don't think Sansa is a contender, because I agree she would likely never want to see KL again.

I think Elia Sand is the metaphor for Lyannas KotLT, and more likely for Jon if she lives.

If anyone, I tend towards Arya, and not because of the obvious reasons, but because of foreshadowings such as the naming of her dire wolf that gives some connection to Dorne.

Maggie the Frogs prophesy on Cersei's being replaced by a younger, more beautiful queen who takes all.

For the prophesy to make sense, it has to affect Cersei, and she isn't impressed with Sansa, or Margaery,(not t mention that the Tyrells are probably getting as close to broke as the Lannisters), and is likely aware of the beauty of Dany and has likely also seen Arianne.

The woman who would affect her most would be the woman who gets into her psyche and that would be the woman who looks like the woman who did take "all" -Lyanna.

Ned said that some day she would marry a king and rule his castle, whose sons would be powerful men. Ned could have used the term "high lord," just as easily as king to make his point about her place. And he says this at a time when there are no kings but Robert.

Poetic irony. It's the last thing she would want as everyone else is killing themselves over wanting to be Queen.

Books 1, 2 and 3 sansa but the Sansa that exists now that Aegon has landed is a much more mentally seasoned lady with grudges to be smashed, against everyone Aegon is opposed to. It is a perfect match. She also has her virtue/virginity/maidenhead which is more than Margeary and Arianne.

It would be a good match if it were a love match. That would not help Aegon win the war at all. What he needs right now are swords and spears to take the Iron Throne . Sansa can't provide any right now but Arianne and Margaery could do so.

It would be interesting if Aegon falls for Elia and spurns Arianne. Her proclaimed love for all her cousins would be truly tested.

It would be a good match if it were a love match. That would not help Aegon win the war at all. What he needs right now are swords and spears to take the Iron Throne . Sansa can't provide any right now but Arianne and Margaery could do so.

It would be interesting if Aegon falls for Elia and spurns Arianne. Her proclaimed love for all her cousins would be truly tested.

IIRC, in the second Arianne Chapter, she wanted to put Elia over her knee and give her a good hiding.

Sansa brings the North as far as anyone knows. Aegon expects Dorne's support and the Tyrells at least will flock to him if Margaery is executed. Without knowledge of Bran or Rickon being alive, and without Robb's will be found and publicly proclaimed, Sansa is the heir to Winterfell. Men will follow Ned Stark's daughter if none of his sons are around. Sansa's not such a bad choice, and she's much more biddable than Arianne would be.

Sansa brings the North as far as anyone knows. Aegon expects Dorne's support and the Tyrells at least will flock to him if Margaery is executed. Without knowledge of Bran or Rickon being alive, and without Robb's will be found and publicly proclaimed, Sansa is the heir to Winterfell. Men will follow Ned Stark's daughter if none of his sons are around. Sansa's not such a bad choice, and she's much more biddable than Arianne would be.

No, that's the very point, how would she bring the North if it's in Bolton or Stannis' hands? And as I implied, the North will be quite useless post the Bolton-Stannis confrontation. And there is virtually no chance of LF handing her over to anyone, before or after revealing her. I personally think that Fake Arya has a better chance of marrying Aegon than Sansa and...

We get a horse loving Dornish girl Elia Sand mirroring Lyanna Stark. Might we not get a weak 'unpretty' girl ruling the North as Queen (after her father dies in battle) mirroring Elia Martell Yes, I mean Shireen Baratheon. If she don't get roasted by Mel, I can see her being Aegon's bride.

Archived