so...where do female white walkers come from

Patch_Face

There is most famously a female Other. But I think, very rare.

Seems like female Others can breed with humans for female offspring, and male Others can transform human male children. Seems they can't breed together for some reason.

The reason I think male humans can breed with Other women is the phrase from the Night's King tale that he gave her his seed. I think that means more than simply shtupping.

Also kinda obvious Val and Dalla are considered "Queens." Of the Dead Valdalla Valhalla. Could GRRM make it any more obvious?

Doesn't work out for any species. There needs to be a stable circle of reproduction. Craster isn't enough. Furthermore, there was a time when there were no humans in Westeros available to breed with.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what the show makes out of the others - after all they already fucked up the design of them. Sidhe or elves made of ice, elegant and deadly in armor, as opposed to barechested, ugly monstrosities as in the show? Come on.

Doesn't work out for any species. There needs to be a stable circle of reproduction. Craster isn't enough. Furthermore, there was a time when there were no humans in Westeros available to breed with.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what the show makes out of the others - after all they already fucked up the design of them. Sidhe or elves made of ice, elegant and deadly in armor, as opposed to barechested, ugly monstrosities as in the show? Come on.

Interestingly, most Sidhe in mythology are female, people of the Goddess to whom offerings are given.

In broadest terms.

Jokes aside, I wonder too. Also why is it that Craster's offerings are only males? Maybe it is so they can keep the Craster factory going with his daughters.

Yep. He's straight so he can't sleep with his sons. As it is he's got an endless supply of female companionship. A son would grow up to kill Craster for what he's done to the boy's mother and sisters.

Craster's daughters do talk about the boys being taken by their brothers.

And I'm glad you agree about Val.

But I don't see how secret dissent by a small population of Others, kept from the main population, serves the story.

We only know two things in the most SEMI of canons... that a female Other had offspring from a human male, and that male Others can convert human males.

I've got theories about that.

As to the Others converting human males...converting them to what? We don't know that they actually turn into Others. Both the Others and the wights have blue eyes. Night's King wasn't killed by his bride, so it must be possible to wight the living.

We have very few encounters with them in the books and any descrtiption is very basic and under conditions where they are barely visible. We are told that they are humanoid, they are tall, gaunt and pale. I am uncertain if they have hair for instance. They wear armor which takes the colors of their environment and break their contour. Considering they could well be a different species, can we tell if the ones we have encountered are male or female or either?

Archived