The Frey's internecine war

northwesterner

I think after Walders death family will go against each other but not with armies.I think the ones who planned the RW will say that they deserve to be the Lord and that will cause a fight which we know Black Walder is famous with his sword and they will slay each other in the end one of them will be lord but Faith will excommunicate them, IT won't help them and smallfolk or BWB or someoneelse will end them.

• 1 month later...

i think the House Frey is one of the most fascinating storylines in the series, and really shows off GRRM's genius and skills in worldbuilding. his world is just stuffed with all these different themes including a variety of family dynamics. never realized the comparision of the rat cook story until it was mentioned here. the freys are supposed to look like rats, yes? thats why i love this forum.

I had completely missed the 3 wedding pies manderly served until i read it in this forum. Unbelievable.

I dont like the freys either, I want them all dead except for a few. but i am enjoying hating them and watching them die.

Man the Frey struggle for control of the Twins is probably the least interesting thing in the entire series, maybe Mereen is just in front of it.

Regardless, I hope no one gets the Twins and all the Frey's are wiped out

Perwyn, Olyvar, & the Roslin after they help achieve "justice" for their king, and take a new house name(or their mothers).

The main Frey line is more ******ed than a Lysene whore. The Frey Pies was just an appetizer for what is to come.

I would think Black Walder Frey will win because he has the military skill of Walder Rivers, who cannot make a claim on his own because he is a bastard, and is just as cunning and ruthless, if not more so, than his brother Edwyn Frey. Lame Lothar Frey however will be trying to manipulate things behind the scenes.

Black Walder Frey has only two lives between him and the Twins, his elder brother and his great grandfather Walder Frey who is likely to die soon. Walda Frey, the daughter of Edwyn Frey, does not seem to be in line to the Twins, according to Big Walder and Little Walder. Considering succession to the Twins is a major matter at the Twins and the two Walders seem to be in agreement that Walda Frey cannot inherit, I daresay they are correct in excluding her from the line of succession. In any case, it is unlikely a girl of nine can stop Black Walder Frey from claiming the Twins.

It seems to me people are mistaking temporary wins for final ones. It seems to me the question is who will win in the END, not who is most likely to come out on top in the short term.

I fully agree that when the infighting breaks out into the open, which will happen soon, Black Walder will probably come out on top and claim the Twins. All of the Freys who were still around and scheming will "fall in the water" leaving Black Walder master of the bridge.

But a small handful of Freys chose to stay out of the mess in the Riverlands. Perwyn and Olyvar are most likely hiding out at Rosby, where they will stay throughout the infighting, which they will not involve themselves in. While there they will form an alliance with Bronn, who controls Stokeworth and thus has a claim on Rosby through Lollys. That alliance will get in touch with Blackfish, who is aware they stayed loyal to Robb, and probably also Tyrion when he returns to Westeros. Blackfish will be directing an assault on the enemies of his dead King in the North, Boltons and Freys top of the list. Tyrion will be burning with desire for revenge against his sister and other Lannisters, against the knights of the Vale who were so eager to see him thrown out the Moon Door (Bronze Yohn and his sons were not present), and against Littlefinger who had him framed multiple times for crimes he did not commit. Tyrion will therefore happily side with any Blackfish campaign against Lannisters and Littlefinger (who will only have part of the allegiance of the Vale, with the Royces leading a faction with different goals).

So in the END, in the last book when the dust is finally settling, it seems to me that friendless Black Walder doesn't stand a chance, while Perwyn and Olyvar will probably come out of it all in good shape because they have the right friends.

• 1 month later...

It seems to me people are mistaking temporary wins for final ones. It seems to me the question is who will win in the END, not who is most likely to come out on top in the short term.

I fully agree that when the infighting breaks out into the open, which will happen soon, Black Walder will probably come out on top and claim the Twins. All of the Freys who were still around and scheming will "fall in the water" leaving Black Walder master of the bridge.

But a small handful of Freys chose to stay out of the mess in the Riverlands. Perwyn and Olyvar are most likely hiding out at Rosby, where they will stay throughout the infighting, which they will not involve themselves in. While there they will form an alliance with Bronn, who controls Stokeworth and thus has a claim on Rosby through Lollys. That alliance will get in touch with Blackfish, who is aware they stayed loyal to Robb, and probably also Tyrion when he returns to Westeros. Blackfish will be directing an assault on the enemies of his dead King in the North, Boltons and Freys top of the list. Tyrion will be burning with desire for revenge against his sister and other Lannisters, against the knights of the Vale who were so eager to see him thrown out the Moon Door (Bronze Yohn and his sons were not present), and against Littlefinger who had him framed multiple times for crimes he did not commit. Tyrion will therefore happily side with any Blackfish campaign against Lannisters and Littlefinger (who will only have part of the allegiance of the Vale, with the Royces leading a faction with different goals).

So in the END, in the last book when the dust is finally settling, it seems to me that friendless Black Walder doesn't stand a chance, while Perwyn and Olyvar will probably come out of it all in good shape because they have the right friends.

I like this, but I don't think that Olyvar and Perwyn got the mental strength to play this ''game'' with Black Walder

Unlikley. The Brotherhood is too small to attack the Freys. Maybe the ones at Daven's wedding though.

It's between Black Walder, Walder Rivers, or Lame Lothar Frey. All three very competent and dangerous.

I always assumed Walder River's shipped Black Walder because he didn't like Edwyn and his own claim is weak…

If i had to pick Black Walder - he is dangerous and a good fighter, best of the frey's in my opinion…

I have the impression that Bastard Walder is firmly aligned with Edwyn and against Black Walder, from AFFC. Whoever takes the Twins between Black Walder and Edwyn won't keep it for long

There will be a slaughter. The most ruthless of them, such as Walder Rivers, Black Walder, and not to forget Lame Lothar will be the one surviving the longest. Regarding the Brotherhood, I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended up killing the useless Freys that barely really had much to do in the planning and execution of the Red Wedding.

There will be a slaughter. The most ruthless of them, such as Walder Rivers, Black Walder, and not to forget Lame Lothar will be the one surviving the longest. Regarding the Brotherhood, I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended up killing the useless Freys that barely really had much to do in the planning and execution of the Red Wedding.

Totally agree..The inocents or nearly will go first

For me, it perfectly fulfills the Rat Cook myth, with the Freys metaphorically "eating each other". It at once punishes the engineers of the Red Wedding without glorifying that punishment. To have Arya or Sansa or Bran do it would ruin their character development and ruin the anti-vengeance message of the books.

GRRM lets the bad get their just desserts, but makes sure that we never savor the flavor. Tyrion's vengeance on his father ruins him.

Tywin will never know that the Starks were far from defeated

Nor does the Balon.

When Sansa defeats Littlefinger, she'll never know that he plotted her father's death all along.

Nor will she know about that Janos Slynt did get his head cut off.

Oberyn doesn't get to see the sheer agony of the Mountain's death.

It depends whether Bastard Walder's comment, 'My nephew is not a man of the sword, but I am,' is protective or contemptuous!

I rather suspect the latter and think Rivers may be out for himself and his own family (Ser Aemon Rivers et al), though it's possible the easiest way for him to advance them might be through an alliance with, e.g., Lothar.

It depends whether Bastard Walder's comment, 'My nephew is not a man of the sword, but I am,' is protective or contemptuous!

I rather suspect the latter and think Rivers may be out for himself and his own family (Ser Aemon Rivers et al), though it's possible the easiest way for him to advance them might be through an alliance with, e.g., Lothar.

Yeah i think Rivers could be in Edwyn side but that won't make a difference since in my opinion Black Walder is a lot more dangerous than the Bastard

Archived