Watchers on the Wall Episode Guide

Westeros

The first parts of our episode guide for “The Watchers on the Wall” are now live, including our analysis of the episode (TL;DR: it’s really, really good) and our book-to-screen breakdown. We’ll see if we can get the recap done in the next hours. Also included in the guide are the videos HBO has posted up, including a 2 minute piece focusing on the fight scene. Look at the opening of that one, folks, and you’ll see a lot of why we were so baffled by the duel in “The Mountain and the Viper”.

Neil Marshall delivers, and so do the writers, the production, and more. However, after the cut, a very brief commentary on a controversy that seems to be rearing its head on the forums and online—one that I hope is just a tempest in a tea cup…

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

A fantastic hour (well, not quite) of television and easily the best episode of the year. I honestly can't fathom all of the disappointment about Stannis not appearing yet, I can only guess that people were really into the episode and wanted to keep going, like reading a book... it felt perfect to me, personally.

I liked your analysis of the fighting, it really seemed fantastic but I wasn't paying as much attention to the nitty-gritty of it. Kit really shone this week and was very believable as a bad-ass, with only one bit feeling a little overly theatrical to me.

Marshall delivers again and the adaptation was about as good as you can hope for. Looking forward to next week and seeing if they can show the same kind of aplomb wrapping up the season!

Excellent, I wish the winers over on the episode guide would read this.

My general conundrum ... TIME.

I see what they are doing by putting Jon X into E10, but Lord! I see troubles.

A big VFX assemblage is left in the hands of Alex Graves , who is fine, but now I wish they had of hired Neil Marshall to direct episode 10!

Actually I wish HBO had given D&D the resources to go 11 episodes this season, breaking the mold so to speak, I know D and D get exhausted and just plain played out ... HBO has a potential unique golden egg in their nest, almost like nothing they have had before. I think now TW would open the treasure box. I know D and D say they have their hands full, I would love to know do they think they would lose creative control if HBO added more sub-producers and staff resources, I know they use a lot, for a TV show, but the UK has more without going outside NI, Ireland, and the UK in general. Seems to me they have reached a point where they need to be doing 10 million dollar episodes of 70 min. length.

Just saying.

Not to beat a dead horse, well to beat a dead horse.

I did not know , until this week, the problem Thor Björnsson what having with the heat in his brief appearance in E8.

I can sympathize , but Thor is not an actor.

Here it comes...

Conan Stevens

An Actor.

A screen writer and play write.

A modern ballet dancer.

Physical gifted to such an extent he fit the role of Gregor as well as Charles Dances does his role.

O yes and an actor.

It would have made a world of difference, he could of had his input...

A mysterious missed chance.

I seriously haven't been this entertained by television before. I'm just astounded that, week after week, they can bring more to the table and make it bigger and bigger and bigger. So much credit to everyone for making something like this. It was just amazing how great the acting, the special effects, the cinematography, the fight choreography and the pacing was.

Basically, this was fun.

A fantastic hour (well, not quite) of television and easily the best episode of the year. I honestly can't fathom all of the disappointment about Stannis not appearing yet, I can only guess that people were really into the episode and wanted to keep going, like reading a book... it felt perfect to me, personally.

I liked your analysis of the fighting, it really seemed fantastic but I wasn't paying as much attention to the nitty-gritty of it. Kit really shone this week and was very believable as a bad-ass, with only one bit feeling a little overly theatrical to me.

Marshall delivers again and the adaptation was about as good as you can hope for. Looking forward to next week and seeing if they can show the same kind of aplomb wrapping up the season!

You've read the books or not?

Curious thing.

I know why Gemma Whelan was in one episode "Hey audience besides Theon, there are other Ironborn about!"

But what's the deal with Ciarán Hinds?! , you have a near A-lister and he was only on the set for a few days, a week.

One single Episode?

Instead of a scene of Tormund Giantsbane's group, why not replace that with a short sequence involving Mance?

Will we see Gemma again, or saving Balon Greyjoy's fate for season 5?

I seriously haven't been this entertained by television before. I'm just astounded that, week after week, they can bring more to the table and make it bigger and bigger and bigger. So much credit to everyone for making something like this. It was just amazing how great the acting, the special effects, the cinematography, the fight choreography and the pacing was.

Basically, this was fun.

Seriously, I thought this episode transcended the boundary of what television can be :)

After people have gotten over the disappointment (for them) of Stannis not appearing and Tyrion's fate not being shown, they will truly come to appreciate this as one of the greatest episodes of what is now undoubtedly amongst the greatest series ever made.

It helped, too, that Yuriy Kolokolnikov seemed as fully capable of dishing out what Harington was giving him. In particular, consider those swift, sweeping two-handed—two-handed—blows with his axe. Imagine how much more nimble Thor Björnsson might have been able to make his Gregor Clegane appear, if the choreographers had afforded him the same opportunity in the previous episode? It would have helped rectify a problem that the choreographers were aware of—that even the third strongest man in the world couldn’t really swing that large prop sword that quickly with one hand—and helped improve the scene.

Ok Ran, I’ll bite: who then are the first two strongest men in the world?

I’m assuming only the living count, so no fair pulling out Duncan the Tall or Bran the Builder or some dragon-wrestling paragon of power from the Annals of Old Valyria.

So um . . . Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun and Hodor—and in that order?

If that’s what you’re thinking, then the one-way wonder one really is stretching the whole “man” thing a bit.

Plus if we start relaxing the humanity part of it, we’ll soon enough wind up with “Ser” Robert Strong, who should surely be disqualified on at least three counts.

Nice link! That was my favourite line in the show. Poor Sam. :(

I couldn't hear that line very well in the episode looking at it again, seems oddly written, after all Sam had been pulling his load fine enough.

Could of just handed him the key and said nothing, Sam would have known.

Or just "I need him!"!

One supposes Ghost only took a little snack and moved on to whacking more Thenns.

Had forgotten about Ghost , I am glad the show did it the way it did.

I'm puzzled by the intent of this question. Was the audience expecting Stannis to show up before Jon treated with Mance?

Nice link! That was my favourite line in the show. Poor Sam. :(

...but Sam killed a Thenn, too.

I loved that line just for the look on Sam's face. He had that '"WhiskyTangoFoxtrot, dude! I'm Sam the Slayer!"

But Jon's glare in return said (to me at least), "Hey dude, you've told me 100 times in the last year or so how much of a coward you are! Get the murder machine in here, now!"

That's why that scene stuck out so much ... I chortled over it on re-watch.

:smoking: Just me 'reading' between the lines in my own warped little way. :lol:

Did You mention that next Dunk&Egg novella will be published next year in one of your videos or was it just a dream?
I remember George specifically saying (or posting in his blog), that the next Dunk&Egg novella won't be published untill The Winds of Winter, because that is his 1st priority and he doesn't want to give away things.

Does that mean The Winds of Winter 2015 ? lol

Yeah guess I got a little emotional there. My bad. So there's still the time for Stannis to come.

But my quarrel does remain; the end of the battle is pretty emphasized. Jon takes Tormund captive and everybody's happy and its saved... Stannis coming, and given how much D&D hate him, would very well be a scene 40% of what we hoped for. :/

Archived