Lysa and Tyrion

Lord Varys

Has anyone ever brought the possibility up, that Littlefinger informed Lysa of the dagger lie, and that Lysa's attempt to get Tyrion killed had to do with the fact that she wanted to prevent Tyrion from accusing/implicating Petyr?

Lysa had enough time to send and receive a letter from King's Landing.

Lysa is not stupid - he must have known that Tyrion's death would force the Vale to participate in the war. Tywin would then eventually come for her. There would be no 'bringing the Vale back in the Realm' under those circumstances...

Thus I'm not sure that she would have gone along with this thing if she did not think it was really necessary.

Has anyone ever brought the possibility up, that Littlefinger informed Lysa of the dagger lie, and that Lysa's attempt to get Tyrion killed had to do with the fact that she wanted to prevent Tyrion from accusing/implicating Petyr?

Lysa is not stupid - he must have known that Tyrion's death would force the Vale to participate in the war. Tywin would then eventually come for her. There would be no 'bringing the Vale back in the Realm' under those circumstances...

Thus I'm not sure that she would have gone along with this thing if she did not think it was really necessary.

Mmm... never thought about that.

Interesting...

In other words, why would Lysa have wanted to execute Tyrion since that would have provoked House Lannister into war against the Vale given a Lysa was desperately trying to keep the Vale out of the war? Great question. Perhaps she assumed that Tywin would not march on the Bloody Gate and that she could keep her forces home. I wonder what Petyr thought of what Lysa was doing...

She is highly emotional and unstable, yes, but not really stupid. She can manipulate people, she can protect her secrets, she can assassinate people.

In AGoT it's confirmed that she's very pissed that Cat came to and drew her into the mess that was supposed to be a Stark-Tully-Lannister-affair. 'I told you about Jon's murder, so you stay away from the Lannisters.' That's not the case, of course, she wanted to involve Cat and Ned in the whole thing, but she claimed that this was not the case. She knows that (and how) she can cover her tracks.

Lysa must have realized why Cat had come the very moment she was told about that thing (she knew that she had written that letter). Keeping in mind that the secret pact between Lysa and Littlefinger upon Lysa's departure after Jon Arryn's death most likely was that Lysa would keep the Vale out of the coming war, whereas Littlefinger would do anything in his power to rise high enough to marry Lysa as soon as possible.

In this scenario, it's very likely that Lysa tried to get back to Petyr for advice about the whole thing. No idea, though, if the logistics would allow her to reach Littlefinger by raven. But she could always use a letter in a coded language (perhaps the same secret language Cat and Lysa used as children)...?

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think so. Jaime throwing Bran out of the window and Joffrey trying to kill Bran were both events, that Littlefinger could not have foreseen, so he clearly made that up.

Littlefinger had no way of knowing, that Catelyn would go to the Eyrie with Tyrion (both Winterfell and Riverrun made more sense), so it would not make sense to inform her.

Additionally, sending a raven is dangerous, since ravens can go astray. When LF told Lysa to kill Jon Arryn, they both were in KL, so I do no think LF would risk sending a raven, when the possible reward would be so little.

Now that I think more on it, I imagine she might have felt obligated to try Tyrion for her bannermen and deflection any potential accusation of murdering Jon Arryn against herself. Still if Lysa's (Petyr's) intent was to keep the Vale out of an armed conflict with the Lannisters executing Tyrion would have been stupid. On the other hand, she might have been able to delay the execution and negotiated some deal with Tywin.

The way she is written, I think we have to assume that she didn't carefully consider the consequences of her actions. That being said, there's no guarantee that the Lannisters/Iron Throne would come after her. Whatever Tywin thought about Tyrion, direct attack would be a bad strategy. Arming the hill tribes, which he eventually did, would be safer.

Archived